New to XCOM/Xenonauts

Greetings!

So I am new to the X-COM franchise. I had always heard about it- more through nostalgic recollection and seeing it on "Greatest Games" lists. I am 25... so that puts me right around.. 7 when UFO Defense came out, ha. I have always been interested in strategy games however. I work as a System Engineer so I suppose I am an analytic person and tend to drift towards games of Chess rather than Checkers.

Upon seeing XCOM: Enemy Unknown a few months ago I was pretty excited. About a month before XC:EU released, I purchased UFO Defense from Steam and downloaded the Util program that fixes some bugs. Honestly, I didn't think I would like UFO Defense due to the almost 20 year old graphics. While I found the interface to be very overwhelming- the game was great at immersion. Naming soldiers after my wife, our pets, our soon-to-kid (my daughter is due Jan 11th- first kid! Very nervous), inlaws, etc all made up my initial platoon. My inlaws made great RedShirts/Fodder. All in all, the game was enjoyable regardless of how dated it was.

XC:EU released and honestly, I really like the game. I know- I am going to get lynched here for saying that. But for what it is- it is a fun game. It was never promised to be a clone/identical copy. It took inspiration from the X-COM universe and went in its own direction. I can see why people looking back with nostalgia would be upset. It isn't a direct clone and those expecting such are disappointed. The 2K forums are crawling with "but in the original game!" posts and that is okay. People are allowed to not be satisfied and voice their opinion. However, I still find the original game enjoyable and the new game enjoyable. I have continued to play both after release of XC:EU. Is it blasphemy I could enjoy both games? Maybe. But they really are different takes on the same thing and both have their selling points. I think people who just claim the OG is superior in every way are just as intellectually dishonest as those who defend XC:EU relentlessly despite some glaring faults. Both extremes are not good for this niche community and both extremes do not help at all. I prefer to be in the middle and enjoy both games for their differences and what they are.

I saw a few posts mentioning Xenonauts on the 2K forums. So... I decided to check it out and here I am. I think this game is what many people assumed XC:EU was going to be like- an updated clone of the original game. An improvement on its core mechanics, etc. Honestly, this game looks like a hell of a lot of fun. It is neat going back and looking at release notes and seeing this game grow and change based on user requests/inputs. I plan on spending quite a bit of time around here and can't wait to get my hands on Xenonauts :)

Hi VolNation. Welcome to the forums.

You can also introduce yourself to the growing number/horde of Xenonauts fans on the spiffy introduction thread

I think a lot of us here enjoy the ideas behind both games, so it's not an either/or situation really. The original EU is still simply tons of fun, and having a resurgence in new games coming out simply adds to that. there should be a UFO: Extraterrestrials sequel coming along at some point too, which should also be lots of fun.

All the best for the new arrival!

Edited by thothkins

Hi VolNation! Don't worry about getting lynched! They haven't run me out of town yet and that's saying a lot! :D

I like XCOM: EU for what it is as well. It's not as deep as X-COM: UFO Defense but it's fun nonetheless. My biggest problem with it isn't really even anything about the game itself. It was all the "staying true to the original woohoo! naaarr gurgle *flops around on floor*" Firaxis hype that had me expecting the wrong game. If Firaxis had been a bit more honest about what they were stripping out of the original I probably wouldn't have even thought about it.

Hi VolNation. Welcome to the forums.

You can also introduce yourself to the growing number/horde of Xenonauts fans on the spiffy introduction thread

I think a lot of us here enjoy the ideas behind both games, so it's not an either/or situation really. The original EU is still simply tons of fun, and having a resurgence in new games coming out simply adds to that. there should be a UFO: Extraterrestrials sequel coming along at some point too, which should also be lots of fun.

All the best for the new arrival!

A mod can feel free to delete- I reposted in appropriate thread. Thanks!

So sorry. Didn't see that thread. Thank you! :)

it is a fun game

It is. Don't know why you thought you'd get linched by saying that.

Is it blasphemy I could enjoy both games?

YES! BURN THE HERETIC! Well it's ok to enjoy both if you are a living person, not like us internet trolls..but if you are a person then imma get mah pitchfoark rdy! Yeeerhaw!

My wife is out of town this week and she called me earlier to chat a bit. She asked what I was doing and I calmly responded "Raging on the forums". :D

Could have been worse, you could have asked her where you had left the pitchfork 'cause there was someone you had to run out of town.

Could have been worse, you could have asked her where you had left the pitchfork 'cause there was someone you had to run out of town.
Haha! I remember the good old days when I could say things like that and she'd be all "WTF?!" She knows me too well now though and it probably wouldn't even slow her down. "Pitchfork? Anyway, the grandkids say hi and blah blah blah" :D

Haha! I remember the good old days when I could say things like that and she'd be all "WTF?!" She knows me too well now though and it probably wouldn't even slow her down. "Pitchfork? Anyway, the grandkids say hi and blah blah blah"

The terrible thing about being together too long T_T I can't troll my fiance as easy as before anymore :(

Welcome! :D

Greetings!

I am 25... so that puts me right around.. 7 when UFO Defense came out, ha.

Ha! I was exactly 0 (on second thought...maybe 1...) when it came out! :P

XC:EU released and honestly, I really like the game. I know- I am going to get lynched here for saying that.

You're not...well...not by everyone...

Most people here are pretty level headed and acknowledge that the 1993 version was a "tad" too niche for the average gamer, so of course there was going to be some..."streamlining"...

Edited by Commissar Pancakes