Random thoughts/suggestions.

#1 Base expansion/building.

This is very much related to Chris' "Difficulty Curve" thread but is of general interest as well.

The idea is to make the expense of base building more gradual and enable establishing of smaller, specialized bases that can later be expanded depending on need. Each base consists of 49 squares (7x7). For the sake of discussion let's say that establishing a new base costs 980.000$ which is 20k per square.

Instead of paying close to a million to make a new base why not pay 80k for a small 2x2 base with command center + 3 squares for whatever you want. Hangar + chinook + living quarters for a deployment base for example. Early game this could work in tandem with Chris' proposal to have crash sites randomly generated by npc air forces as it would allow you to more easily cheaply spread your soldiers across the globe and reach those minor mission sites.

In general it would provide a more gradual increase of base building costs and allow for specialized bases without having to pay for space you're never gonna use. Why pay full price and end up with wasted space when all you want is a 2x4 interception base (CC + radar + 3 hangars) for example.

Should the demands for space increase one would be able to mark a set of square to be dug into (dungeon keeper style) for 20k per square. See image below.

2uzon.jpg

Red square is the "starting area", blue squares can be built in, gray squares can be dug into.

Problem with map generation for base defence? There could be 3 pre-set base sizes allowing smaller bases to be converted into larger ones.

#2 Air combat - directional rolls. -Nevermind. :P

The idea is simply to allow players to choose the direction in which the interceptor rolls when performing the maneuver. Instead of one roll button have two for the different directions. I've watched quite a few LPs there were many situations where I thought this would be useful. It could make air battles a bit more involved and allow for a bit more "player skill" without making them longer or more tedious. Not sure how the AI would handle it though.

Example below.

#3 Early game UFOs and map sizes.

With the recent announcement that alien fighters will also, almost certainly, generate crash sites but be unenterable (along with light scouts) and the fact that these minor crash sites typically have 2-3 aliens (often just 1 or 2) it might not be a bad idea to reduce map size for these early missions (maybe even up to 50%).

- With so few aliens (do higher difficulties have more?) there's really no point in sneaking around and exploring all those buildings. Let these early missions be quick shootouts that introduce players into the game and don't take more time than they really need.

- It would make small missions less of a chore and would lessen "player fatigue" later on when larger, more difficult and more time consuming missions start appearing.

- A more gradual curve from the smallest of maps/missions to largest.

Edited by Jean-Luc

Eek, never noticed this. So what happens if you click on the roll button (without using hotkeys)? It just chooses randomly?

Yeah, think it's random.

Curse you manual/keybinding list for telling me the game has what I want already without me noticing!! tongue.png

whoever reads those things anyway? wink.png

Hahahaha :D

#1 - just transfer most of the cost from initial base-building to the modules. Return that cost when dismantling modules.

Not bad, and much easier to implement (or mod in). With the numbers I used you could simply add 20k to the cost of each facility.

Edited by Jean-Luc

I might have read this wrong, but I thought that Xenonauts had older bases that it used to use, slowly abandoning them as funding was reduced until all that was left was the starting base you choose. Perhaps a cheap option would be to have an optional base in each funding region available for a reduced sum? Penalties would be size, set location within that nation and an increased amount per facility to bring it up to spec again after decades gathering dust.

I might have read this wrong, but I thought that Xenonauts had older bases that it used to use, slowly abandoning them as funding was reduced until all that was left was the starting base you choose. Perhaps a cheap option would be to have an optional base in each funding region available for a reduced sum? Penalties would be size, set location within that nation and an increased amount per facility to bring it up to spec again after decades gathering dust.

I swear that's the rough blurb for UFO:AI's PHALANX history there thothkins ;)

I'd feel bad if I knew what that was :)

Instead, it was taken from "Funding was reduced to a trickle. By 1979, the Xenonauts were reduced to only a single installation, a dozen trained soldiers and a handful of loyal researchers and technicians. " which is part of the Xenonauts backstory.

Cue Xeno-Phalanx flame war? :)

wouldn't it be simple enough to have a few Modules at different cost that would determine the initial maximum base size. like a 1x1 version of the 2x2 headquarters we are using now.

im kind of against anything that forces or even suggests you play a certain devised way even if it's the way that most people decided to play back in XCOM. I already play with specialized bases, if the game was streamlined to that play style it would take away some of the challenge of managing bases that way and reduce viability of other tactics. I think it's best to keep things as freeform as possible and let players develop their own limits but it's really up to the developers.

I like the idea of Dungeon Keeper style rock carving especially when it comes to base defense.

I had the idea of tying the maps for missions even more to the geoscape map with a "population density overlay". essentially the SatMap would show lights under the night part to give an idea of the population in an area and whether the maps would be in populated areas or the middle of nowhere.

satellite-view-of-earth-at-night-750.jpg

and it would look neat animated.

also, more specific terror and other missions, like the cruise ship ones from TFTD.

maps that are just of a specific full size building like a school or a mall...

I thought up a mission where you'd think you were in the woods but then as you explored you'd find walls and it turned out the ufo crashed into an arboretum.

or the NA council could have you shoot up a Soviet military base using plasma weapons to make it look like aliens did it. you don;t have to accept but lose major rep if anyone escapes.

or monthly Manufacturing/Sales quotas for subsidies.

ie produce 200 laser rifles/5 planes/etc in a month to be bought at double price

on the practical side, it'd be nice if civilians had a specific objective during missions. Like get to the choppa, or hide and stay put. the Hidden Movement in turnbased games always gets really annoying when non combatants are running around especially when you are hunting for that last guy. (Ive noticed with the new AI aliens seem to like to get to ground if they are outnumbered).

I suggest that civilians, bravery permitting, make a beeline for the Chinook and disappear from the map considered rescued. otherwise they take shelter in a room and hide until their morale improves.

Edited by meowmers

Do you think it would be helpful to be able to build corridors in the base? These are just empty tunnels that can be quickly built (in 3 to 5 days) that help you in quickly establishing a base layout. Later on, you can convert corridors into actual base components.