Build V16.1 Released!

So is this now beta or not yet? The road map was obviously delayed, but now I'm just confused on where we are at.

Not beta. still alpha. still likely to be a build or two before beta.

I think any extra hassle(if any) would be far outweighed by the fact that using Desura infuriates people like me(and others judging by this and V16 thread) who are willing to donate time to test. I for one am now just going to skip playing the Alphas and Betas and just wait for the full version; because I don't want to use Desura or download 2G every week. I would have been happy to test, log bugs and generally contribute but I refuse to use a broken system like Desura. I'm honestly not sure which is more Alpha; Xenonauts or Desura.

I suspect that the testing plan for this project is entirely based on community testing. I also think the longer people are forced onto a broken and generally non-functional content management system like Desura the more likely it is that the available testers pool will diminish. Which is sad because having a large community of testers can turn a something from "ok" to "great".

I think that might actually be a good thing at this point. Kind of a gate check, "you need to be this patient to alpha test this game". So that a lot of people don't turn away from this game just because of a few pre beta crash bugs and start spamming the world wide web with complaints about Xenonauts on ill informed assumptions.

Edited by Gorlom

I think that might actually be a good thing at this point. Kind of a gate check, "you need to be this patient to alpha test this game". So that a lot of people don't turn away from this game just because of a few pre beta crash bugs and start spamming the world wide web with complaints about Xenonauts on ill informed assumptions.

Do you see why in one of the other threads I posted that I think Introversion's "Charge ~£30 for the alpha, ~£15 for the final product" they've used with their new game is actually probably rather sensible?

Not beta. still alpha. still likely to be a build or two before beta.

Do you see why in one of the other threads I posted that I think Introversion's "Charge ~£30 for the alpha, ~£15 for the final product" they've used with their new game is actually probably rather sensible?

That is just ridiculous to say we should use a mostly broken tool like Desura or a crazy high pre-order price as a way of vetting quality/truly dedicated alpha/beta testers.

First of all, pre-orders get benefits, not handicaps (higher price pooint), thats the point of a pre-order. We aren't in mid 90's anymore where EBGames would run out of stock, which was the point of a pre-order a decade ago.

Second, broken sofware (Desura) benefits nobody. To suggest otherwise isn't worthy of your name color.

That is just ridiculous to say we should use a mostly broken tool like Desura or a crazy high pre-order price as a way of vetting quality/truly dedicated alpha/beta testers.

First of all, pre-orders get benefits, not handicaps (higher price pooint), thats the point of a pre-order. We aren't in mid 90's anymore where EBGames would run out of stock, which was the point of a pre-order a decade ago.

Second, broken sofware (Desura) benefits nobody. To suggest otherwise isn't worthy of your name color.

Me and Buzzles didn't say preorders should pay more. The idea (originally by introversion) was that alpha access would pay more. This would mean that those that are just looking for a game get what they want and people with (presumably) a little more insight into what alpha is gets to help out with testing.

You would be surprised if you knew how many times people has misunderstood what alpha build means already.

The only reason this is even being discussed is because oh so many on the internet feels "entitled" or whatever (I see a lot of people using that word when whining on people that are whining about ridiculous things. not really sure I understand the concept though... are probably other words that are better suited) and voice loud uninformed complaints.

we have one guy on this forum that are on the line to saying that the Xenonaut project is on it's way down the drain and shutting down because he doesn't think there has been enough progress... 0.o

quite frankly I'd rather have Desura soak all the whine coming from people like that. Better that than have them spread blatant lies about Xenonauts because they didn't bother to get all the facts.

worthy of my name colour? what the? do you even know why my name is green? a hint: I'm not a moderator.

Edited by Gorlom

I really don't see the Desura issues as some sort of rite of patience, to be worthy of testing the game. What I do see it as, is a major pain in the rear end that soaks up the very limited amounts of time I get to play the game at all. I spend as much time failing to download it/ trying to get Desura to admit there's an update for it/ waiting for them to verify it as I do playing the actual game.

I've had a whole mission in v16, but here I am trying to download v16.1 in time for the weekend. At least this one will be here for the weekend. Getting it an update available on a Sunday evening has never been the best personally.

So, the time I could be trying things out in gets wasted instead of actually getting to check and report bugs. That can't be good. I know that it's the huge number of files, but it would try anyone's patience, it really would.

You know you could play the last stable version and not update your game until the forums declare the new update to be stable if you are short on time.

But that would be cheating wouldn't it? :P

In an ideal world Desura would not be a kind of rite of passage. it would work perfectly and let you update your stuff every time without hassle.

But concerning whining I'm still somewhat happier if Desura soaks it all up.

Hey folks.. I've made a binary patch for V16 to V16.1 that seems to work. I just need a bit more testing, and I've mentioned it to Chris and Gio. So as long they don't object I'll send out a link later for people to try... just keep in mind it is NOT OFFICIAL at all... caveat emptor, etc etc :D

But it is looking like 45M exe (sorry Windows only :( ) for going from 16 to 16.1 .. may even try to add last build of 15 in there..

Apart from pointing out the fact we're not talking specifically about Xenonauts and actually expanding on a previous topic that's graced these boards, I'll refer you to Gorlom's excellent reply.

Come to think of it, Chris could have gone a similar way to Introversion by only allowing Premium Pre-orders access to the Alpha. You do already pay more for the Premium package anyway.

I know that if I ever decide to make a game seriously and take pre-orders for it (rather than what I currently do and knock small things together to test ideas/technology), I'll certainly be following Introversion's cue.

The situation with Desura is rubbish and I fully sympathise with anyone having problems.

Edited by Buzzles

As a previous developer/designer all I can do is offer some hope and back you up guys.

To those of you "testing" this during the Alpha.. while I could rant, it would be pointless. Those that understand what it is about are supporting, those that don't will hopefully just leave.

This is a great opportunity for all of us, and the GiR (Guys in Red!) are giving everyone a great chance to make this their game and ours...

I'm sorry Goldhawk/GiR have to deal with this... try your best to shrug it off and just focus on your passion.. it usually pays off at the end (:

Edited by tass
need coffee to see colours right (:

Hello again guys, I just wanted to know if I buy now the alpha I will be able to play the lastest version?

Thanks,

Yes, if you can download it from Desura (without the technical problems some of the other users has) then you will be able to play the latest version. But since it's an alpha build it will have bugs. some of them of the CTD kind. :(

Yes, if you can download it from Desura (without the technical problems some of the other users has) then you will be able to play the latest version. But since it's an alpha build it will have bugs. some of them of the CTD kind. :(

Yeah, that's something that makes me afraid :P

Thank you sir, I better wait for tomorrow when is more probably we are going to have more news, and good ones I hope :)

Cross-post...

Hello folks, I have a binary patch that will take you from V16 to V16.1 , and is only 45MB in size!.

This is for Windows ONLY and is 100% not official or supported, but with those caveats Chris has no objections to my sharing. I have used this for my own system, both at home and at work (:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/px48nnlmrcqzzaj/0X8yhxdxvL

Grab the V16_to_V161.exe binary , doubleclick and follow the prompts. There are MD5 checksums there as well for the paranoid.

Hopefully this works for Windows folks, but i'll try to help as I can.

Some folks have tried and said it works too :D

yeah I was playing a quick battle yesterday and that happened

p annoying

OK so what I wanted to ask though was this: I was playing V16 tother day and I hit up a farm map after a successful interception right, and because I knew about the crash issue w civilian wall vaulting or whatever and that a new version was coming out p soon I was like oh shit bro better save my game so I did. Anyway time travel ahead to right now now when I've got V16.1 and I've loaded that game, it still crashes consistently during the alien's turn

Anyway yeah my question is: am I still getting these crashes because the save was made in V16, or is the bug still present? Should I upload my save game? I tried that shit in debug mode and it gave me this shit, I dunno maybe it's helpful