Build V16.1 Released!

I'm not even sure why a game in development would need a Steam-like distribution platform like Desura. Why not just provide direct downloadable windows executable patches for everyone? Then once the game is finished, push it out to a distribution platform. Seems like Desura only provides a lot of extra headaches for everyone.

1) Theoretically it would be considerably easier since using the client means you don't need to download the whole thing again but just the files that are changed. considering how many times alpha build games updates that is a good thing.

2) Hosting that direct download would probably be costly... unless you are using a hosting site in which case it looks very unprofessional and probably isn't that super for marketing.

Am I right in what I think people seem to be saying, that update 16.1 is in fact available on Desura now .......apart from the missing Windows version that is and also the fact that it is being listed as version 16.0 by mistake? If this is the case, then why do Desura continue to declare that the most recent update for Desura was instead back 3 days ago? I keep restarting Xenonauts through Desura instead of straight from my hard drive, hoping to see the automatic update process from them will kick in as it did before but so far it never has.

no, you got it confused. This is probably because other people are confused about the windows versions. before the update when only V16 was available, Desura still listed one of the premium/standard as 16.1 because they are separating the standard and the premium version somehow.

There are a lot of confusion around.

And still no 16.1 stand alone for windows? I must say once again I'm disappointed...

There is no 16.1 for anyone. It takes a while for Desura to verify compared to the client update. And I think Chris even uploaded the the standalone later than the client version.

Edited by Gorlom

1) Theoretically it would be considerably easier since using the client means you don't need to download the whole thing again but just the files that are changed. considering how many times alpha build games updates that is a good thing.

2) Hosting that direct download would probably be costly... unless you are using a hosting site in which case it looks very unprofessional and probably isn't that super for marketing.

1) A stand-alone Patch binary doesn't have to be the whole thing, just the difference. Most stand-alone game patches are just bundled into a windows installer anyway.

2) Not really; It could be a VPS host with some bandwidth, an EC2 instance or even Dropbox. I'd be inclined to run a torrent as well since I bet a majority of the people here know how to use it. As for being unprofessional, this is for an Alpha/Beta version. The software is going to be buggy anyway so I doubt reputation is based on the download method. They are going to make it all nice via Steam when it goes Gold anyway as I understand it.

Just seems to be there are more disadvantages and hurdles than there are advantages.

1) A stand-alone Patch binary doesn't have to be the whole thing, just the difference. Most stand-alone game patches are just bundled into a windows installer anyway.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a whole boatload of unecessary hassle? Both for developers and the users, especially for new people that didn't get in from the beginning.

Besides Desura handles payment (the paypal account that Goldhawk had got frozen because of paypals TOS or something.) and provides a form of marketing platform that others may discover Xenonauts through. A direct download link wouldn't do that.

when looking at it on paper I don't think there was any reason for not using desura. These troubles with downloads started after a while and were no indication of when the deal was made.

Gryfflehound: if you look at the versions now the premium version is listed as 16.1.1 (V16.1) and the standard is listed as 16.1.2

However there is no difference between the versions. They are both version 16.1

There never will be according to Chris. He isn't interested in doing that kind of thing, any bonuses for premium will be outside of the game only.

(and the mac and linux version are still only 16.0. Most likely because Ko2fan hasn't gotten his hands on the windows version so that he could update those ports yet... I think)

Edited by Gorlom

The standalones are up now.

Apparently the update I uploaded to Desura was corrupt, which caused the issue (not sure why though, I think their upload service was having problems when I did it). I'll re-upload it when I get to the office anyway and hopefully that'll work.

How do you download a standalone? I've only downloaded the game via Desura with my standard preorder.

check you mail you got when you bought it there is a link to the download or download it from the cdkey part of desura. i always just go to my old email i got when i bought the game and just click the link to download

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a whole boatload of unecessary hassle? Both for developers and the users, especially for new people that didn't get in from the beginning.

Besides Desura handles payment (the paypal account that Goldhawk had got frozen because of paypals TOS or something.) and provides a form of marketing platform that others may discover Xenonauts through. A direct download link wouldn't do that.

when looking at it on paper I don't think there was any reason for not using desura. These troubles with downloads started after a while and were no indication of when the deal was made.

It's really straight forward. Every game ever has solved these problems already. You have a base version and a continually updated roll-up patch binary. People can still pay for it on Desura and still be able to have an alternative patch system.

I think any extra hassle(if any) would be far outweighed by the fact that using Desura infuriates people like me(and others judging by this and V16 thread) who are willing to donate time to test. I for one am now just going to skip playing the Alphas and Betas and just wait for the full version; because I don't want to use Desura or download 2G every week. I would have been happy to test, log bugs and generally contribute but I refuse to use a broken system like Desura. I'm honestly not sure which is more Alpha; Xenonauts or Desura.

I suspect that the testing plan for this project is entirely based on community testing. I also think the longer people are forced onto a broken and generally non-functional content management system like Desura the more likely it is that the available testers pool will diminish. Which is sad because having a large community of testers can turn a something from "ok" to "great".

In some ways I feel sorry for Desura because our dated engine tech means we need ridiculous numbers of files in our game, which is more than their systems can handle given it has to check every single one to see if it needs updating. If we using Unity or something, none of this would happen and they wouldn't look so bad.

But then sometimes they'll go nearly 48 hours without authorising our files and I find that less impressive.