vehicle gfx

ooey

Surely no more so than the images of any other car. Who is going to notice if it's done in a mod anyway? It would give the game a more 70's feel. Nothing says 70s to me more than Granadas, Capris and Transit vans (we can't exactly put Disco and big hair into the game - maybe someone can find a way!).

Aren't those copyrighted?

Can't copyright such things as a car's appearance. Generally things of utility can't be copyrighted. Only a specific photo or drawing can be, in this case.

For instance, Porsche has a deal with EA (I think since they made that NFS: Porsche Unleashed game) that only EA may use its cars in their games. Big deal? Not really - other games simply replicate the car, give it another name, and they're in the clear. Because copyright doesn't apply here, only trademark law does. And even then it's mostly just a precaution.

Surely no more so than the images of any other car. Who is going to notice if it's done in a mod anyway? It would give the game a more 70's feel. Nothing says 70s to me more than Granadas, Capris and Transit vans (we can't exactly put Disco and big hair into the game - maybe someone can find a way!).

I knew without even looking at the location information on the left that you were a fellow Brit, just by the list of cars :D

I knew without even looking at the location information on the left that you were a fellow Brit, just by the list of cars :D

It's true though isn't it?! In the 70's about 80% of all cars on the road seemed to be Fords. How things have changed! Considering the lead is Chris, a fellow brit (and also a Londoner) why not have some Britishness imbedded into the game (yeah yeah - I know Ford is a US company, but I don't think they marketed the same models over there). There's just something I love about the squareness of the Ford Granada etc...

Oh I like Capris too, but the Granada... my dad used to drive a 2.0 and I remember pinning me into the seat when he took off from lights. He had a Capri too (which got stolen a lot). Personal preference really. Think Cortinas & Jack Reagan, Capri's & Bodie and Doyle!!

"Sectoid, we're the Sweeney, and you're nicked son!"

Edited by ooey

Hmm... Transits and Yugos don't really go together, do they?! Still, what is there is great, and remember that these are only suggestions. I like the way xcom refers to the 60s/70s occasionally - someone said they came across a radio message for Cmdr Straker during one of their missions, and there is a tribute to the Gollop Bros. towards the end of the game - a very nice touch, and something which I had hoped Chris would acknowledge in xen at some point (without them, there would be no xcom).

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, yes - the vans in the game do very much look like ford transits. Somebody has the same vision of the past that I have(!)

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1301-Мaps

Check out the 3rd map down. BA's van could appear in the game, you never know (I think it was a GMC, but looks slimilar to a transit). Happy days :-)

Edited by ooey