Xenonauts Demo: Reaction Fire?

Cynical

I just played the demo, and I don't understand the reaction fire mechanics.

I've been religiously saving enough TUs to always have a snapshot (at least) available at end-of-turn, but enemies can dance around in my line of sight all day and I don't get a reaction shot. Meanwhile, the aliens get a snapshot literally every single time I move within their vision. What causes the reaction shot to activate?

Unrelated, but also, is there any way to change what direction a soldier is facing without having to move? I *really* miss this feature from JA2 and Silent Storm right now.

Is this the demo from the kickstarter?

If so I think the reaction fire system had only just been implemented and was not working very well.

Originally aliens could reaction fire 360 degrees, even turning round to fire, while Xenonauts rarely if ever got a shot off in return.

Neither of those is the case now so if you are playing the latest alpha build you may have a bug of some description.

Right clicking on the area you want to face towards should turn your soldiers that way, there is an AP cost attached (1 AP per 90 degree turn I think) but it is cheaper than moving.