I am an XCOM veteran and have now played XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Beating it on impossible is all down to the randomness of the council missions etc.

Not sure if that's the case. My second real mission was terror, "vely dificurt". Didn't breeze through, took me one reload, but I even saved most civilians.

Key tactics: play chicken, screw the civvies, rockets away.

I'd be impressed to see a non-modded playthrough of impossible ironman mode.

I might do a Second Wave imposiburu (but non-ironman) after I complete my ordinary run. Or might not.

Either way, my feeling is that I could do it "ironman" on the 2nd-3rd try.

Just treat this game like poker or backgammon, not a realistic simulator.

That is the game's problem really. It doesn't know what it wants to be. "Oh no? What am I? Am I a board game? Am I Ass Effect 4? Am I an X-Com rehash? Herp mii!"

If it's a board name, your soldiers don't need names and hairstyles, they should be Rook 1, Pawn 5, Bishop 2. There should be no FMV, no lame-ass tutorial (thankfully disabled), no cutesy-poo - just maximum time for its backgammon mechanics, always-on grid, full clarity.

You need to weigh sacrificing pawns like you weigh buying 3/4 lbs of choice or 1/2 lbs of prime beef, not play barbie with them.

I refuse to play the game on Impossible because it's nothing more than cheating aliens.

They get a big buff to their accuracy and critical chance (so they can hit me even better trough 3 cars).

Frak that kinds of artifical difficulty.

I have enough of their BS with aliens getting 2-3 moves or magicly popping right smack in the middle of my team. Yeah, I had it happen.

I've seen Chryssalids cross the entire friggin map and mutton just appear in the middle of an empty street (where my soldiers are at)

That not "difficult".

That's "put your balls in this vice here pls"

I have now totally uninstalled, deleted and destroyed anything even resembling the XCOM:EU game on my PC. And it feels so good!

The biggest reason for this is, that even in the end of my latest try out with this game (including one of the mods Par'Gellen talked about, where the aliens do NOT crit all the time on Classic Ironman) the aliens managed to wipe out my two best teams, that's the best 8 of my crew.

And that's in spite of my men having as much as 70 or 80 percent chance of hitting more often than not. The aliens have almost nooo problems of hitting my crew between the eyes 90% of the time...

And OK, this all out killing of personnel can happen in most great XCOM games, but then atleast you have the opportunity to do so much more on the battlefield than you can in this measly game. One can only have so much patience... Good bye crappy game!! You will not be missed.

Edited by dracopticon

I have now totally uninstalled, deleted and destroyed anything even resembling the XCOM:EU game on my PC. And it feels so good!

The biggest reason for this is, that even in the end of my latest try out with this game (including one of the mods Par'Gellen talked about, where the aliens do NOT crit all the time on Classic Ironman) the aliens managed to wipe out my two best teams, that's the best 8 of my crew.

And that's in spite of my men having as much as 70 or 80 percent chance of hitting more often than not. The aliens have almost nooo problems of hitting my crew between the eyes 90% of the time...

And OK, this all out killing of personnel can happen in most great XCOM games, but then atleast you have the opportunity to do so much more on the battlefield than you can in this measly game. One can only have so much patience... Good bye crappy game!! You will not be missed.

Sounds like you were ignoring the "Hunker Down" option. It negates crit chance if you have any directional cover. You shouldn't ever get a crit against you unless you are outflanked, which can happen if your cover gets destroyed.

You shouldn't be losing more than 1 or 2 Soldiers per mission once you get Carapace Armor, and you should be relying on explosives before that. Grenades NEVER miss and Rockets have 90% hit chance.

Also, I noticed you said your 2 best squads, totaling 8 soldiers. You should be getting the Officer School and Squad Size upgrades ASAP. That's the second priority after Satellites.

I don't know what else to tell you, because I don't know the specific circumstances of how you lost your Soldiers. If you did, maybe I could shed some light on it.

Granted, the game CAN be very cheap from time to time, but I found that usually comes down to getting the wrong map at the wrong time. Like getting a Bomb Disposal as your first council mission, or getting the demolition site map or graveyard with the monument in the center for your first fight against Mutons.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

I'll add my review of XCOM:EU: 40 hours into the game and here it goes:

First 12 hours were good, encountered bugs(2 planes in the air = crash, ceiling of ufo always showing which pisses off).

In general: PC UI is not great and since they said that different teams worked on the UI to make a specific UI for PC and an other one for Consoles. I now do not believe what they said.

Playing abduction missions: No complaints there.

Playing downed/landed ufos: No complaints on the small ufos. Once you hit abductor, supply and most probably battleship. The UI is a pisser since you always have the ceiling view. Your units do not follow the orders that you want because the view is bugged.

I always played classic/ironman. 40 hours into the game and i still didn't finish it. I can say that the first 15hours were games that i lost and adopted new strategies after each loss.

The game i'm in currently, i'm wasting time to basically research everything, get 80 scientists, 80 engineers and research everything at the foundry. I'm doing this for the achievements in Steam. Doing this made me discover that the game is very hard the first three months of game play. After that, it's a walk in the park. Once you cover most of the planet with satellites, you sometimes get 2-3 ufo's a month and maybe an abduction mission. The rest of the time is wasted. So i have lots of money right now. I left 2 countries with no satellite coverage just to keep getting missions but it rarely happens.

I discovered the alien base a while ago but i haven't done it and it seems that nothing happens until i do this base.So I started it and i just stopped. I got to a point now where i find it boring since there is no challenge at all.

I'm waiting for a patch to have more stability in the game. I haven't really encountered major bugs that others had but i told myself that i'll play it safe and wait.

Then i hear that they are releasing a DLC. It's a badass triad member who decides to help Xcom with a special tech. I'm sorry but i can't go on and for me , this has stopped being Xcom. I know, i do not have a gun pointed at my head to buy it but it just doesn't work for me anymore. A Secret org being helped by a triad member has no meaning for me.

And i believe that they should have released a patch to make people happy before dropping a DLC onto us. The official forums has lots of people complaining, yet a DLC comes out. There is no logic in there for me. In my mind, please your customers first by fixing whats broken and then you release a DLC.

Overall: Game is ok if you can ignore the bugs but at some point, they'll get to you.

You are constantly held by your hand. Always told what to do. This is not Xcom that i know. Have a manual to teach new players but for gods sake don't block us from doing whatever we want to do. They say that there is over 80 maps in the game. I have a hard time believing that it has 80 maps since I've been seeing the same maps over and over and the same game play.

Edited by LFSmaSh

Umm, that DLC isn't out yet. The DLC they did release was just a cosmetic one. And they did patch the game 2 days after it came out. It does need more patching though. I'm sure if they want people to buy the DLC, there will be more patches eventually.

Mouse issues are annoying. I'd recommend using a gamepad, it resolves pretty much all of the camera angles.

How does the game block you from doing what you want to do? And I'm going to go out on a limb that you looked up strategies for the original at some point.

And the artists, level designers, et al. don't have any use in a bug fixing process. They can work on the DLC just fine.

The content of the Slingshot DLC certainly is a bit iffy. I'd been happy with just more maps, and hell, even cosmetic additions, but adding even more scripted content feels like they are kinda missing the point. Especially by adding scripted, unique voice actor'd soldiers in. I mean half the fun is the emergent stuff you get with your ordinary soldiers. "This guy panicked and killed his friend, and yet somehow became this badass colonel" and whatnot.

Ohwell, I'll just wait and see for the reviews and general opinion of it before buying it.

And the artists, level designers, et al. don't have any use in a bug fixing process. They can work on the DLC just fine.

The content of the Slingshot DLC certainly is a bit iffy. I'd been happy with just more maps, and hell, even cosmetic additions, but adding even more scripted content feels like they are kinda missing the point. Especially by adding scripted, unique voice actor'd soldiers in. I mean half the fun is the emergent stuff you get with your ordinary soldiers. "This guy panicked and killed his friend, and yet somehow became this badass colonel" and whatnot.

Ohwell, I'll just wait and see for the reviews and general opinion of it before buying it.

Dont use reviews as a reference to buy a game or not. Dont trust the general opinion either, especially on this forum.

Play the demo and watch this:

I have in the past bought games with fantastic reviews such as Black and White, which I HATED and never played for more than a few hours. Complete waste of money for me. Watching lets plays and such or playing demos is by far the best way to tell if you like a game or not imo.

I've put in about 30 hours into XCOM:EU and have enjoyed it for the most part... the story is a little too much "in your face" but that is a tendency for modern games that have better graphics, voiceovers, cinematic effects, etc w/multi-GB files... The original Xcom came out on a few floppy disks (young folks can look those up on the Internet lol), heck the original would have used less memory than the opening of the new game... I am okay with it being a "different" game as I already have the original that I can still play on Dosbox when I want (and now Xenonauts of course). It's funny how the same complaints were raised about Xcom TFTD and Apocalypse when they came out....(why did they change this or change that) If the games were all exactly the same, who would play them!?

I don't play the kind of hours I used to back in the 90's (ahhh the golden age for turn based strategy games from Microprose...) but I do try to come in with an open mind and just enjoy the experience. I haven't had the serious bug problems others have seemed to have though and will be back to playing after work tonight.

Had to see if that "full version is much better" claim was true so I went and bought X-Com as it was -50%. And I must say I haven't played other games since, don't know why but I just hated the demo. It's very addicting but at the same time all the bugs and stupid things annoy me 200%... I guess it's love-hate relationship. Game has "some" replayability value as maps seem to play slightly differently each time but still, they are same maps from different angles that apparently come in same order each time as the script says, which is a bummer. Currently playing on "normal" difficulty and kinda hesitating to go "classic" and beyond if all it does is make aliens cheat with ûber accuracy and annoy me even more :rolleyes:

And I must say I haven't played other games since, don't know why but I just hated the demo.
The fact that it's the worst demo... pretty much ever is probably the reason. It has two maps, and the first one is 100% hand-held with the annoying-in-the-long-run talking heads popping up all the time.

Even the second map starts off like that, and it's structured like a shooting gallery. First you encounter a pair of sectoids. Then you proceed deeper along the corridor-like map, and you bump into a pair of floaters. Move in further and you bump into a pair of thin men. It just left a really foul taste in your mouth after completing it. They should've added an abduction or a terror mission as a third map to get a real taste of the game, but they somehow missed that.

Currently playing on "normal" difficulty and kinda hesitating to go "classic" and beyond if all it does is make aliens cheat with ûber accuracy and annoy me even more :rolleyes:

Classic isn't that bad. I did an Ironman run on classic, losing 4. And those were pretty much low ranked rookies/squaddies at that.

Just remember that there's an option to Hunker, which makes the trooper harder to hit, AND gives immunity to non-flanked criticals. Trying to avoid half-cover as much as possible won't hurt either. Trying to lure the enemies into overwatch is also useful, while a bit time consuming occasionally, but frontal attacks still work at times. Don't be afraid to use explosives-- a grenade will blow up the cover enemies are using, giving free shots to everyone else, turning those shots that were likely to miss into near-guaranteed hits. (and sectoids have just 3 health in Classic, so a frag nade will kill them, handy way to rank up fresh troops instead of losing them)

Just remember that there's an option to Hunker, which makes the trooper harder to hit, AND gives immunity to non-flanked criticals.

Heh, I think I haven't used that option more than once when I was just testing things through... For some reason overwatch is so much more tempting option to use to end the round even if it causes my soldiers to miss their reaction shots and take hits a lot.

Heh, I think I haven't used that option more than once when I was just testing things through... For some reason overwatch is so much more tempting option to use to end the round even if it causes my soldiers to miss their reaction shots and take hits a lot.

If the trooper you are about to Overwatch can see an alien, there's ZERO reason to use it (think only exception is that you used Flush on it, forcing it to move). Overwatch triggers when the enemy moves, and guess what the enemy WON'T do if they see you Overwatching? That's right, move. Instead they will just shoot you in the face. And even if they did move, Overwatch has like -20 aim penalty (or is it just -10, either way). If your guy can shoot, then shoot. It'll have better chances to hit than overwatching.

If the chance to actually hit is low, just hunker down, or dash back.

Of course, troopers that the aliens don't see can overwatch freely, and when they move in closer to get a better shot at the hunkering guy they see (or come in chasing for the guy that dashed away), the overwatching guys can get free shots on the alien running through the open.

In short;

See an alien? Shoot it, hunker down, or fall back.

Don't see an alien? Overwatch.

Edited by Kaguya

Generally, Hunker Down is a much better option than Overwatch. The only classes that are worth it to overwatch are Assault(because they can survive a crit) and Sniper(Because the have Sqaud Sight). Heavies should never overwatch, it's pretty much a waste of ammo you want for Holo-Targetting, which you don't get with Overwatch. Of course, if you know that you've cleared all the enemies you revealed so far, then Overwatch is a no-brainer.

Generally, Hunker Down is a much better option than Overwatch. The only classes that are worth it to overwatch are Assault(because they can survive a crit) and Sniper(Because the have Sqaud Sight). Heavies should never overwatch, it's pretty much a waste of ammo you want for Holo-Targetting, which you don't get with Overwatch. Of course, if you know that you've cleared all the enemies you revealed so far, then Overwatch is a no-brainer.

Thank you for the help, but no thank you. I appreciate the effort you put into your advice, but it isn't that I don't understand there's other ways of playing it. Instead it's this: my overall feeling for the game is so destroyed from the lack of general freedom of doing things MY way and using the soldiers as the team I WANT them to be, not some randomized fluke handing out of soldier types.

I actually liked the way they made the soldiers into different archetypes and they all have a certain use on the battlefield. They could've gone with that idea AND also let players have the freedom to choose a lot of things both on and off the assignments.

But no...

It's like the game designers of today (or their sales managers/bosses whatever) cringe from the idea of letting players have it their own way in HOW THEY WANT TO PLAY THE GAME. And as have been said many times over on this thread, by others: the game is oversimplified. The soldiers don't have mechanics for different ways of dealing with the assignments. And they most basic stuff simply can't be done: pick up stuff, be a carrier of ammo for another soldier, throw stuff between the soldiers, shoot walls and/or other obstacles tactically, etc etc

And just because it's good enough for newer generations of players DO NOT mean that I, as an XCOM player veteran, have to accept these crappy crappy changes. Also, don't even get me started again on how little REAL horrific atmosphere from the original games have survived into this one. It gives off a "plastic" feeling, like I've said before. XCOM: EU is light years from the first original games in giving you the rightful respect the aliens should have. Instead, it's built like tons of other games these days; just continue to up the killability of the aliens and do the same for the XCOM operatives until you meet the overall "boss" like som f-ing Mario game!!!

Instead, it's built like tons of other games these days; just continue to up the killability of the aliens and do the same for the XCOM operatives until you meet the overall "boss" like som f-ing Mario game!!!

How is that any different from the original game?

Both games start off by giving you easy aliens to kill with your piddly guns. Both games give you gradually better gear, and gradually harder aliens to kill. And it all culimates to a big overall "boss" like some f-ing mario game in both the old and new game.

Generally, Hunker Down is a much better option than Overwatch.

Very rarely. I play on Impossible, people who play on Classic also seem to agree with Overwatch. I use Hunker Down when I want to steer kills towards my favorite guys or when I messed up and put someone in danger. Cover+HD+smoke grenade is a solid saver. But only then.

Ammo is free, big deal. Using Overwatch when you can't hit an enemy gives you More Dakka, and Dakka is Latin for "good".

I've bought it. A few days ago. I realy try to play... To make myself to play. But can't.

I almost cryed, when I understand, that they have 360 FOV - no more of carefull checking coners, rooms etc. with carefuly counting TU's and planning. As Russians (I think it is our phrase :-)) say "It would be so funny if it wasn't so sad". Money - my budjet 200 of smth. Where is normal currency? Atleast normal numbers of it - millions, thousands. USA - if I will complete mission on their soil they will award me with 4 scientists (sounds like scientists are slaves right?). One base. In a predefined place with arcade-like effect (more money, faster research). Shooting missile is a SPECIAL ABILITY. Not a usual day to day thing. And a great thing I knew before - wonderfull, logical vertical base layot - I think I need to forget base defence missons. And there are alot of other moments.

I'm not even talking about such smaller things like satelite, standing still over Germany. This can't be done because law of phisycs. Like this it can be only over equator. Crap. May be I will find it to be interesting later, like a game of it's own, but not like part of X-COM series.

It's like the game designers of today (or their sales managers/bosses whatever) cringe from the idea of letting players have it their own way in HOW THEY WANT TO PLAY THE GAME. And as have been said many times over on this thread, by others: the game is oversimplified. The soldiers don't have mechanics for different ways of dealing with the assignments. And they most basic stuff simply can't be done: pick up stuff, be a carrier of ammo for another soldier, throw stuff between the soldiers, shoot walls and/or other obstacles tactically, etc etc

Sorry you were disappointed, but you have to realize, the game was made by X-Com fans, and they made it according to their tastes. They made the game the way they, as XCOM fans, wanted to play. If you look up the development interviews, you'd know how much they cared about capturing the spirit of the original, it's just that their view of that spirit is different from yours. I think their tastes resonate with mine a lot more than with yours. The fact of the matter is you can't please, or even accommodate, everyone. I like the game, because I think that most of the simplifications and limitations were for the better, and actually make you have to think about how you are going to use your limited resources.

You also have to realize that there a LOT of games that refined the original's model and are considered "failures" by the fans. It's a catch 22 for the developers. If they make the game too similar to the old one, they didn't innovate enough, and they risk that stigma of failure. If they change it, you are going to alienate some fans.

Don't take it personally, they can't read your mind, I'm sure they didn't want to alienate or disappoint you. A lot of people like the game, you unfortunately don't. At least you have other games to look forward to that do accommodate to your tastes.

Here's a pretty good developer's interview that may give you some perspective as to why they changed lots of things:

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:TheBlueRogue/XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown_Developer_Interview

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

Yeah that stuck out at me too. I think that was a miscommunication. I think Jake thought he was asking about the Base map, which is randomly generated. If you look at the context, the previous question was about the Base view, and his response really is a non-sequitor and doesn't make any sense. Why would randomly generated battlemaps affect base layout?

I think Jake thought he was asking about the Base map, which is randomly generated. If you look at the context, the previous question was about the Base view, and his response really is a non-sequitor and doesn't make any sense.

I think Jake knew perfectly well, but didn't want to say "no", so he used his Lightning Reflexes to dodge.