Build V16 Released!

I've already beaten the new X-Com. It's a cool game, but so many key elements are missing it isn't really X-Com anymore, at least in a deep strategic sense. If the old X-Com and the new were both card games, the old game would be "Magic the Gathering" while the new game would be "Poke'mon". After being let down by many of the missing options in the new X-Com it's only stoked my Total Excitement for XENONAUTS!!! Go Chris (and team), Go!!!

Yes - the firaxis game does seem shallow in the ways you suggest. Thats why I'm looking forward much more to this. Not going to preorder though because I think this will spoil the suprise (I'm also keeping busy on my own project - that's the answer guys, keep busy until the game is finally released, but then I suppose there would be no bug reports...).

Edited by ooey

The new xcom is a great game, but I feel that it's only the appetizer. The main meal resides here with Xenonauts. All hope of a xcom/ufo rebirth now lies firmly on the shoulders of Chris England and his team. Please don't feel as you are under to much pressure. :)

Build V16 contains the following:

- AI model: This is the big improvement in V16. GJ's updated AI model now allows aliens to share information and LOS with each other. This means that aliens will now be able to fire on Xenonauts beyond the sight range of the shooting alien if it is in the LOS of another alien, and they will be harder to sneak up on without reaction fire if a Xenonaut unit has been spotted. They'll also try to avoid standing in each others' line of fire.

There's also been some improvements with regard to psionics. The aliens should now use them (though you probably won't encounter psionic aliens in this build), but they're also limited to being used on humans in LOS of the alien team. General shooting priority for the aliens should be a bit more sensible now - they'll prioritise more dangerous units (Xenonauts) over harmless units like civilians etc.

The AI model will continue to develop; we'll announce more about this in the coming days.

- New tilesets: The way we're making our tilesets means that none of them are actually finished yet, but we have now made enough progress on the Arctic, Desert and Middle East tilesets that we can build basic maps out of them. I've not had time to add the maps for the Middle East tilesets yet, but I've put together a couple of maps for the Arctic and Desert tilesets. In both cases the tilesets are far from finished - they don't have their (waist high) cover props in place yet, and a lot of tiles haven't been painted over or fully set up in the game, and the UFO crash sites use the Industrial tileset art - but they should still be fun to spend a bit of time playing with. As I'll mention in our beta plans update in the next few days, I expect to make a lot of progress on the tilesets in the next month or so.

- More animations: A bunch of things were rendered out when I was away, which are currently being processed. They should be done for the next build, which will have a load more civilian types for the Town tileset and should have sprites for the Xenonauts using the alien weapons too, with more to follow.

good new !