Beta Delay

this game has 1 thing over the new xcom for me.

TANKS!

there is tanks.

tanks tanks tank.

replace whole squad with tanks.

(note, i only take one tank because otherwise i'd be daft. but you see where im taking this)

Back when Xenonauts was just announced there were plans to have actual tanks in the game,

t80j.jpg

, but rectangular (2x3) vehicles were just too unwieldy (complications with corners, etc.) so we ended up with just the armoured car (+ whatever sci-fir vehicles there are later in the game).

ah, I had wondered what had happened to them, since I saw that pic kicking around.

While it looks lovely, it would only be fair if your Xenonauts approached the entrance to the UFO, only to find alien hover tanks rush out and blast them. I think that overall, the balance of this would be a bit overpowering.

But there is tanks in the new xcom. saw one in a vid where the developers were playing the game. Or maybe you'd call it a land drone, like from a bomb squad. But close enough.

I'd say there is quite difference between a drone and a tank :P Though original game's HWP did look like tank even though it was too small to be one. I have no clue what the heck it was.*shrugs*(yeah, its called tank, but come on, what kind of tank is that small? Then again, I guess.. Eh whatever)

I'd say there is quite difference between a drone and a tank :P Though original game's HWP did look like tank even though it was too small to be one. I have no clue what the heck it was.*shrugs*(yeah, its called tank, but come on, what kind of tank is that small? Then again, I guess.. Eh whatever)
Minitank!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard the beta may come in November, a good time would be second week in December so we all get an early Chriss mass present and you can do the best magic you can to get it ready and gift wrapped for us ;), you also might want to think about a PO box so we can all send you alien grenades, medpacks n stuff.

If you had a PO box I'd send you summit good for the festive period for sure!

Would it be possible for a soldier editor so we can put santa hats on the squad commanders, JK.

akc.jpg

akc.jpg

akc.jpg.7cb49145e87d0f07b5d6349f6013b462

Edited by MasterArmadillo

In hindsight I'm not sure what I was smoking when I put the T-80 in the design document.

Is the design document something that would ever see the light of day after the game is released? or even edited highlights of the things you had in mind? I always like those kind of insights.

Tanks can go in as static objects a military base, perhaps even allow turret use on them. As for driving them around, I dunno, its a BIG target and I am sure aliens would have something to deal with them. Not to mention they would destroy anything left behind by aliens thus kinda making it harder to get cash and alien tech.

I think tanks would be a pretty balanced gameplay element. Yes, one shell (assuming HESH) would lay waste to an impressive amount of tiles, far more than a rocket HWP--er---Hunter, but they'd be hard to move around the crowded maps, and present a target for heavy plasma that would be damn hard to miss. Not to mention a little thing called 'collateral damage'. Especially with something like the heavy machine gun implemented as its secondary weapon, that can avoid blowing up everything, but can't avoid scattering bullets.

Then again, I'd love to see a HWP kitted out like the Bradley. A few rockets, but mostly a great autocannon. (In game terms, maybe a three-round burst only, with one round IN, one round AP, one round HE?). Or while I'm dreaming, a Hunter with a minigun turret option, Terminator-2 style.

Some thoughts -

A number of the maps are small, and a big tank seems a little excessive for those.

I'd expect it to take up even more slots than the current vehicles

I'd not expect to be able to wander around larger UFOs with it, or any for that matter.

Importantly, I'd expect there to be alien heavy weapons to compensate for it's inclusion. I'd expect the aliens to be ruthless with those heavy weapons. Then I'd expect a lot of squealing to get the whole lot removed :)

i agree that a compensation on the alien side would be necessary and that it would be useless in entering ufos. But it would sure be great fun to roam around them and clean up all the aliens scattered around the map before entering a UFO.

besides who would want to put a bloody tank inside a UFO you plan on salvaging for goodies ?

I think tanks would be a pretty balanced gameplay element. Yes, one shell (assuming HESH) would lay waste to an impressive amount of tiles, far more than a rocket HWP--er---Hunter, but they'd be hard to move around the crowded maps, and present a target for heavy plasma that would be damn hard to miss. Not to mention a little thing called 'collateral damage'. Especially with something like the heavy machine gun implemented as its secondary weapon, that can avoid blowing up everything, but can't avoid scattering bullets.

Then again, I'd love to see a HWP kitted out like the Bradley. A few rockets, but mostly a great autocannon. (In game terms, maybe a three-round burst only, with one round IN, one round AP, one round HE?). Or while I'm dreaming, a Hunter with a minigun turret option, Terminator-2 style.

There is, just dig into the assets folder! :3

Take all the time you need, Chris. In the end some people may complain about timeliness because we all live in a "I want it now!!" society. Everyone else however would much rather wait a little extra time and have a nice stable build to test then deal with something pushed out just to be "on schedule" like the big companies do which we've all seen a million times.

After the new X-Com I'm just all the more ramped up for Xenonauts. Slow and steady wins the race. Since I bought Xenonauts a long time ago I've seen you make HUGE strides in stability and game quality. Keep on rocking brother. Take all the time you and your team need.

Take all the time you need, Chris. In the end some people may complain about timeliness because we all live in a "I want it now!!" society.

Couldn`t agree more- slow is good :) Besides, we all knew it`s alpha/beta when we were preordering this Game. We should now it will take time.

After the new X-Com I'm just all the more ramped up for Xenonauts. Slow and steady wins the race. Since I bought Xenonauts a long time ago I've seen you make HUGE strides in stability and game quality. Keep on rocking brother. Take all the time you and your team need.

Couldn`t agree more again :) On the side note you might want to give UFO:AI (on Desura) a try if u haven`t already :P

For those that remember JA2, there were tanks in there.

They were stationary defenses. Dug in behind sandbags with the turret rotating. Also they were on the side of your enemy.

For a game like Xenonauts they can work on the side of allies..especially on specific maps/missions.

the army could use them to cordon off the downed UFO area or to guard vital junctures. During counter-offense or defense missions. Etc...

For those that remember JA2, there were tanks in there.

They were stationary defenses. Dug in behind sandbags with the turret rotating. Also they were on the side of your enemy.

For a game like Xenonauts they can work on the side of allies..especially on specific maps/missions.

the army could use them to cordon off the downed UFO area or to guard vital junctures. During counter-offense or defense missions. Etc...

That said, the real world saw some very strange tank designs:

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot-restricted/tanks/tanks-t/t_28_super_heavy_tank-33210.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3277/batchat.jpg

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=4693&pid=13557

http://daily-steampunk.com/steampunk-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/P__1000_Ratte_Tank_Cutaway_by_VonBrrr.jpg

Edited by TrashMan