Window Vaulting mod

dJm

{I will periodically update this first post}

Short Demonstration video

UPDATE:

download 0.2

Fixed alot of stupid errors on my part. the files uploaded were my test batch, so alot of them were kinda broken, I apologize for that.

Problem:

You can vault through windows as long as they're not broken. if you shoot a window before trying to vault through it, the window becomes impassable. I've went over the spectres many times and T&Eed just about everything I could, but to no avail.

update:Strangely enough, you can vault through broken windows as long as it's from the inside#will need further testing#.

notes:

• Back up your "assets\tiles\industrial and assets\tiles\Farm" folders.
  • You'll have to start a new game for vaulting to work.
  • The sprites included are more focused on graphic representation then detail. some windows will open in strange ways.
  • Clipping issues are present

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I do plan to finish this.

Well, enjoy :D

Edited by dJm
update:1

At first glance it looks like you didn't set the vaultable flag for the damaged state.

The flags for each state are independent so will only apply to that specific state.

For example if you set the default window state to be vaultable then you will be able to vault through, probably without breaking the glass as you pass through it.

If you don't set the damaged state to vaultable then you will become unable to vault through as soon as the glass is broken.

I would probably reverse those settings if there is glass present, the health and safety department would not be happy otherwise.

Edited by Gauddlike

Problem:

You can vault through windows as long as they're not broken. but if you shoot a window before trying to vault through it, the window becomes impassable. I've went over the spectres many times and T&Eed just about everything I could, but to no avail. so I'm hoping some fresh eyes or a person with more xenonauts modding experience might be able to see what I'm doing wrong.

You did set isVaultable="1" just to the default state of objects.

To make soldiers beign able to vault windows after they shoot them, you'll have to set that property even to the damaged state.

The destryoed state wouldn't need that however, as wallType="none" is set and so soldiers can simply walk through them.

Personal suggestion: for the industrial tileset, I would set isVaultable="1" only to the damaged state of objects, as the default state is represented with unbroken glasses and a soldier passing through it would leave the glass undamaged.

Nice work, by the way! :)

Thanks for the replies,

The reason the default state is set to vaultable is because without that flag characters just walk through the initial window tile like a door. so that was the only way I could keep that from happening. are the "damaged state" ones your refering the _damaged.xml generated after game is loaded? I'm pretty sure I've edited the ones in the normal spectres drop down [See screen shot].

what are the _damaged.xml/_destoryed.xml/_open.xml files for? they seem to be generated after the game is launched and appear to be set passable by default. just guessing here, but are they the spectres that effect how the npcs interact with that tile or are they what the tile turns into after it's initial state has changed? I've tried to edit those xml files too, but they didn't seem to effect much and sometimes during the npc's turn they crashed the game if I set them to vaultable.*I guess from civilians trying to use a vaulting animation when they don't have one?*

Update:Check the first post.

Edited by dJm

If you left the windows as they were originally and only added vault to the damaged one then nothing should be able to walk through them as they are still classed as a wall.

Just had a read of a couple of the spectres you altered and your pathscores have changed from the original as well.

pathscore 0 is normally used on anything you cannot walk through while 1 is used for open ground.

Your files have pathscore 3 or pathscore 5 used.

I have no idea what those are used for.

That may be behind the problems you have with pathing through the closed window.

Incidentally I would leave any spectres apart from the default one for each window alone.

They don't need to be altered to achieve the effect you are looking for so altering them will just introduce more problems.

Edited by Gauddlike

That fixed the impassible damaged windows problem! though, I still have to set the default state to vaultable. looks like the door function overrides the pathscore value#also tried this on a door by setting the path score to 0 and set to uncrushable#. but as far as the mod goes, I should be able to finish it now. :cool: going to start fresh and upload when I'm finished.

sorry for the double post.

Quick test and these are my files.

Original:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<spectre id="Industrial/OfficeWindowBaseSE" width="1" height="1" version="1">

<state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="92" pathScore="0" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.500" orientation="1" sortPoint="0.500" hp="70" wallType="tall" isStructuralWall="1" destructionSound="Brick Wall Window">

<image src="tiles/industrial/Office/OfficeWindowBaseSE_damaged.png" />

</state>

<state id="default" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="91" pathScore="0" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="1" sortPoint="0.500" hp="30" wallType="tall" isStructuralWall="1" destructionSound="Brick Wall Window">

<image src="tiles/industrial/Office/OfficeWindowBaseSE.png" />

</state>

<state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="92" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none">

<image src="tiles/industrial/Office/OfficeWindowBaseSE_destroyed.png" />

</state>

</spectre>

Altered by adding an open state, changed open image to match damaged, set default state to isWindow=1, set both open and damaged states to vaultable=1, left default state vaultable=0.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<spectre id="Industrial/OfficeWindowBaseSE" width="1" height="1" version="1">

<state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="92" pathScore="0" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.500" orientation="1" sortPoint="0.500" hp="70" wallType="tall" isVaultable="1" isStructuralWall="1" destructionSound="Brick Wall Window">

</state>

<state id="default" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="91" pathScore="0" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="1" sortPoint="0.500" hp="30" wallType="tall" isStructuralWall="1" isWindow="1" destructionSound="Brick Wall Window">

<image src="tiles/industrial/Office/OfficeWindowBaseSE.png" />

</state>

<state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="92" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none">

<image src="tiles/industrial/Office/OfficeWindowBaseSE_destroyed.png" />

</state>

<state id="open" name="" pivotX="26" pivotY="91" pathScore="0" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="0.500" orientation="1" sortPoint="0.500" hp="30" wallType="tall" isVaultable="1" isStructuralWall="1" destructionSound="Brick Wall Window">

</state>

</spectre>

The only things to have changed between those files are the changes I made.

Testing that window in game makes troops open it and vault through if it is the shortest route.

Right clicking on it opens and closes it as with a door.

If it is damaged then vaulting works also.

I haven't managed to see an alien or civvie try to pass through it yet.

I don't seem to have any problems with it.

Maybe you have run into one of the tiles with incorrect settings and that has thrown your test off.