Customizing solider details (apperance, name, country, sex)

I don't think customizing works as well on 2D face shots as they do on 3D models... Somehow doubting the game engine can even handle it. :(

It's a pitty though because it would be nice. :D

Edit: Never mind me I just realized you meant choosing another portrait, not customizing the portrait.

Edited by Gorlom

I don't think customizing works as well on 2D face shots as they do on 3D models... Somehow doubting the game engine can even handle it. :(

I don't know about whether this engine could, but there are many flash programs where you can create the face or dress up characters through adding and then coloring features. Like, there would be x many noses you could choose. Not really necessary, though. Just being able to scroll through to change them would be nice.

I mean selecting from existing portraits, not making your own (that can be done by modding).

See, I'm making a LP once Beta1 comes out and I already have people sending requests to be a "redshirt".

Thing is, I can't re-create those people, because the startign rooster is not like what they (and I) want, and I cnat even see how the future hirelings look like.

So when I get a request like:

Name: Alfred von Kickass

Callsign: Carnage

Sex: Male

Role: Heavy

Apperace: Black, with facial hair

I can't fulfill it. Chances that all of hte rookes I get will be like I need them to be is 0.

And sometimes even when I get someones whos apperance (and country) matches, his stats may be compeltely wrong for the intended role.

Not to mention you can't change the name or country...

Edited by TrashMan

Well... you could edit solidernames.xml so it can only produce the name, race and country you want. Then edit gameconfig.xml to either crank up or drop the rate women appear on the hire list. Then through the usual hiring screen you'd get 12 different variations on the edits you had made, so you could pick the one you wanted. But... you'd have to do that all over again for each name. Could get tiresome.

Well perhaps you should ask for less information...? I mean even if you get your dream team, and then that person dies, what then? Will you buy another 10 rookies just to get another of the same description to replace the lost man?

No, if someone dies he's dead. He can roll another redshirt tough.

That would throw away the kickstarter tier where you could have your name (and age, sex, nationality, previous regiment with it) inserted in the game. Don't think we'll ever insert this, but, as usual, final word goes to Chris.

The kickstarter portraits and profiles could perhaps be the default options, and allow for people to change from there. Most will simply leave the default.

I do notice that kick starter makes a distinction between portraits that are for specific paid for soldiers then also being made available to the common pool. SO that would suggest the above is a no no, unless you can disable the option for paid for soldiers.

• 2 weeks later...
That would throw away the kickstarter tier where you could have your name (and age, sex, nationality, previous regiment with it) inserted in the game. Don't think we'll ever insert this, but, as usual, final word goes to Chris.

How?

There's a difference between it being hard-coded and being able to switch the portrait, name etc upon recruiting a soldier.

People wouldn't be conned. They'd have themselves in the game by default. People who weren't around for the kickstarter or whatever, but want to now add in their co-workers/friends and watch them advance would be able to do it. A lot of the fun in XCOM:EU is doing just that. Naming soldiers after people you know, watching them advance, die or something hilarious happening to them.

I feel it should be pointed out that being able to name a soldier after myself and my friends/family has always been integral to the fun factor of X-Com and all its derivatives, taking that away is a critical error. Fair enough if people get a benefit from kick starter; however there is no reason why they cannot be implemented as unique soldiers. If you force people to have to mod basic stuff like this in it's just going to annoy everyone.

I feel it should be pointed out that being able to name a soldier after myself and my friends/family has always been integral to the fun factor of X-Com and all its derivatives, taking that away is a critical error. Fair enough if people get a benefit from kick starter; however there is no reason why they cannot be implemented as unique soldiers. If you force people to have to mod basic stuff like this in it's just going to annoy everyone.

why is the callsign not enough? It is effectively a name change.

How?

There's a difference between it being hard-coded and being able to switch the portrait, name etc upon recruiting a soldier.

People wouldn't be conned. They'd have themselves in the game by default. People who weren't around for the kickstarter or whatever, but want to now add in their co-workers/friends and watch them advance would be able to do it. A lot of the fun in XCOM:EU is doing just that. Naming soldiers after people you know, watching them advance, die or something hilarious happening to them.

I agree - allowing people to at least change their soldiers' names isn't conning those (myself included) who paid to have a soldier named after them. This is of course because the list of Kickstarter donators who paid to have their names(+faces, for those applicable) put in have their names in all copies of the game by default, while people editing the names of their soldiers is only affecting that person's game. Plus it was always a good part of the fun in the original X-COM; renaming your men to match people you are friends with, (or enemies, if you enjoy seeing them in terror! :D) and keep them updated on their ingame soldier.

So yeah, I know Chris gets the final say here, so there's probably not really any point in me saying any of this, but I just don't see the problem with allowing players to change their Xenonauts' names. Maybe not their nationality or face, but their names should be changable, certainly.

Because that isn't my name?

But you can change it so that it IS your name... why isn't that name change enough?

Unless I'm mistaken the only places the name that isn't changeable (ie not the callsign) is displayed is in the soldiers file on the soldier screen and on the After Action Report (and I'm assuming that is going to change). Everywhere else the callsign is displayed.

I'm not asking because I'm against letting people change the "real name". Technically that the characters named after kickstarter backers show up at all is what they paid for. Not that they would have their name carved in stone. I think that their names should be editable. I just don't understand what the fuzz is about since I consider the callsigns sufficient..

Edited by Gorlom

But you can change it so that it IS your name... why isn't that name change enough?

Unless I'm mistaken the only places the name that isn't changeable (ie not the callsign) is displayed is in the soldiers file on the soldier screen and on the After Action Report (and I'm assuming that is going to change). Everywhere else the callsign is displayed.

I'm not asking because I'm against letting people change the "real name". Technically that the characters named after kickstarter backers show up at all is what they paid for. Not that they would have their name carved in stone. I think that their names should be editable. I just don't understand what the fuzz is about since I consider the callsigns sufficient..

Because a call sign would just be a real life nickname or a more serious designation depending on how serious the player wants to be. Saying a call sign is naming your soldier is just incorrect, you can't just whack your first name and last name into the call sign and go "yay I am in the game now" Ivan "ColonelCraggles" Russionavich. No. Being able to view my personalised soldier is a large part of the attachment to the game. I am sure I am not alone in the feeling that seeing a soldier with my name, and nickname kicking ass makes me feel awesome. Goodspeed Xenonaut Craig, and enjoy your PTSD :P

nowhere in the game is the callsign interjected between the first and last name of the soldier. Just pretend that it says "name" instead of "callsign" in front of the field and ignore the soldier file on the soldier screen. It shouldn't be that hard.

Traditionally such things are described as first name "nickname" last name, you are interpreting things far too literally. Also I sincerely hope you are just playing devils advocate, your resistance has no clear logic and you simply espouse the creation of a self concocted fantasy to satisfy my desire for a feature that is either there or isn't. People will want the ability to name their soldiers, some wont care. Why are you so against it?

He isn't. He's just wondering why Callsign isn't good enough. Well, some are satisfied with callsign and some arent'. I belong to the latter, though T_T

If he supports nameable soldiers I am sure he will/would say as much. He hasn't though, and has suggested compromise. That gives the impression of a negative stance.

Callsign isn't a name.

Also, callsign is not displayed everywhere. (it sure would be nice if it were displayed over the soldier in tactical combat, like in JA2)

And also, a lot of my friends and family don't have any nicknames.

So how can I re-crete my frinds of family without it?

Sure, I can play pretend that that big black guy from 'murica is actually my friend Angela for Italy, but that's just not it.