Incendiary Grenades...

There will be a flamethrower once the code work is finished on it.

I think adding incendiary grenades detracts from its uniqueness a little :)

There are incendiary rockets in the game though so grenades might be on the way.

I doubt a grenade would carry enough flamey stuff to be very dangerous unless you were standing on top of it. Unless you're just trying to cause a few burns here and there like a white phosphorous grenade can do. From the graphics I see in both the old and new XComs the entire area is lit on fire. I doubt a grenade could hold enough compound to even engulf a single tile unless it's some special "alien" chemistry.

Use the nerve gas grenades?
Now that's a different story! LOL I'm looking forward to gassing those alien (&^#'s

I wonder how they'll implement that as far as effectiveness goes? If the aliens are as vulnerable as human are I could see a single grenade killing an entire BIG ship full if the hatches aren't sealed.

Edited by StellarRat

Well, just be glad this wasn't in the old game.

Rookie: Captain, what are your orders?

Captain: I want you to run down this hall into the alien ship and chuck in this nerve gas grenade.

Rookie: Yes sir!

Rookies enter ship and primes grenade.

Rookie: Captain. The hallway's to long. I'm out of TUs and I've primed the grenade to 0.

Captain: Well, it was nice knowing you. Try and hold your breathe.

The captain looks at his squad full of rookies.

Captain: Who's next?

Well, just be glad this wasn't in the old game.

Rookie: Captain, what are your orders?

Captain: I want you to run down this hall into the alien ship and chuck in this nerve gas grenade.

Rookie: Yes sir!

Rookies enter ship and primes grenade.

Rookie: Captain. The hallway's to long. I'm out of TUs and I've primed the grenade to 0.

Captain: Well, it was nice knowing you. Try and hold your breathe.

The captain looks at his squad full of rookies.

Captain: Who's next?

I do believe the grenade only started counting down AFTER you threw it in the old game. Anyway, one would hope that if you plan to use nerve gas you'd have NBC precautions available. Depends on how brave/desperate you are I guess.

I'm pretty sure in the old game that grenades would blow up after priming so if you primed it and went to throw, you could run out of tus to throw the grenade and be blown up.

If I correctly understood you, then you not right. not sure about apoc, but in first two granade timer begin to run only after granade fall on ground, if you hold it or place in poket - it never explode

A Nervegas/Knockout gas could be useful when wanting live aliens, however the implementation would be tricky. In the old UFO there was a white bar filling up over your health, when you are choking and when that filled out the health bar, you were knocked out (as far as I remember), maybe something similar to that.

Incidently, how does fire spread work in Xenonauts?

As far as I know, if a flammable tile takes incendiary damage it is converted into a fire tile. But that doesn't leave any opportunity for fire spread.

I think that if a flammable tile is adjacent to a fire tile, there should be a chance that it also catches fire. And also a chance that fire can spread one tile from a flammable tile. E.g. there are 2 wooden boxes with an empty tile between them. One box is set on fire, there would be a chance to spread to the empty tile, and from there, set the other box on fire. But it couldn't spread two empty tiles.

It would open more tactical options and make fire a bigger factor in decision making (an alien hiding in a warehouse full of boxes? Burn him out!)

Of course it would have to be balanced so a stray fire (probably) won't burn an entire building, which is what incendiary rockets are for.

Incidently, how does fire spread work in Xenonauts?

As far as I know, if a flammable tile takes incendiary damage it is converted into a fire tile. But that doesn't leave any opportunity for fire spread.

I think that if a flammable tile is adjacent to a fire tile, there should be a chance that it also catches fire. And also a chance that fire can spread one tile from a flammable tile. E.g. there are 2 wooden boxes with an empty tile between them. One box is set on fire, there would be a chance to spread to the empty tile, and from there, set the other box on fire. But it couldn't spread two empty tiles.

It would open more tactical options and make fire a bigger factor in decision making (an alien hiding in a warehouse full of boxes? Burn him out!)

Of course it would have to be balanced so a stray fire (probably) won't burn an entire building, which is what incendiary rockets are for.

I'm not sure it does spread (yet). wasn't tall grass and fire spreading mechanics an unreached kickstarter goal?

From kickstarter:

$355,000 - Tall Grass – There’s waist-high grass in X-Com. This would put it in Xenonauts too, complete with the ridiculous (yet amusing) fire mechanics from the original.

Tall grass was unreached, hopefully fire spread mechanics will be implemented