I'd say the first strategy is to place your second base in the first day of the first month, with two hangars a storeroom and a radar (maybe even 2).

Secondly, you want to outnumber the UFOs where possible until you get better tech.

Everything else is dependent on the situation and subject to change.

Geoscape:

Build first base in north Africa (to cover north Africa, Europe, midde east and parts of Russia and south Africa), build another hanger (for mig), immediately build second base in indochina (to cover indochina, rest of Russia and allow chinooks to reach terror sites in Australia) with 4 hangars, radar, store, living quarters and medical centre.

When built, send half of starting squad to second base, hire more personnel so you have 12 soldiers in each base (8-man squads with 4 reserves), 15-20 scientists and 15-20 engineers in 1st base.

Build 2 migs, 1 for each base, purchase 2 f-17s and chinook for second base.

This quite expensive to set up, but hopefully you should get enough money before the second month to cover it. I like to get 2 fully functional bases up as soon as I can.

Squad load out:

8 man squad + ferret

1 machine gunner - highest strength soldier, jackal armour, has backup pistol and smoke/frag grenades

1 sniper - highest accuracy soldier, jackal armour, has backup pistol and flash/frag grenades

1 rocket launcher man - second strongest soldier, basic armour, 1 frag rocket (+1 in the launcher) and 2 armour piercing, has backup pistol and C4 and frag grenades

2 shotgunners - good AP and resilience soldiers, jackal armour, 1 C4 and flash/frag grenades

3 assault riflemen - remaining soldiers, jackal armour, has medkit and flash/frag/smoke grenades

Each soldier has an extra magazine for their weapons (which I've never used). Any space they can spare is filled with extra grenades (or a medkit for shotgunners), to just slightly over the weight limit.

Probably one of the more balanced loadouts currently and the one I like best. Inventory management is one of the aspects I enjoy most :)

Soldier loadout

4X sniper

4X shotgun

1X machine gun

1X carrying grenadier

Every soldier carries flash/smoke/c4, I find that grenade is a lot better than rocket.Only 2 of my soldier carries first aid coz I almost never get shot.

I always use smoke when heading to alien hotspots that's not visible yet then flashbang them or use c4 so they move right to my shotgun trap.

For my base i just start using a 2nd base 1 on the Alps and another in North America. i put 3 hangers in the NA base so the intersepters fly in pairs and one for the transport thats as far as i am right now. As for my xenonauts, I use 2 squads each have 1 of each of following

1x support- has heavy machine gun, smoke, flash nades (look for most str.) *also look for high acc as well cause HM is not accurate

1x medic - has m16 with med pack and smoke just in cause (person with the most AP to get to people)

1x sniper- has sniper rifle and smoke grenades if they have good str a flash as well (person with high acc.)

1x explosives- m16 with 2 nades, smoke and flash.

3xRiflemen: Jackal Armor, Medpack, Clips, Grenades (Frag > Smoke > Flashbang)

2xShotgun: Jackal Armor, Shotgun, Clips, Grenades (Flashbang > Frag > Smoke), later Shock Batons

2xSniper: Basic Armor, Medpack, Sniper Rifle, Clips, Grenades (Smoke > other grenades)

1xRocket: Basic Armor, Rocket Launcher, Explosive Ammunition (Rockets > Grenades > C4)

I always had 2 Clips, but most times, I didn't even use 1, so perhaps I will change that. All soldiers with basic armor get jackal armor as soon as they have enough strength to carry it without AP loss (sometimes a little later, so that they can also carry some grenades). Most times I split my squad depending on the situation. Often the 2 Shotgun guys stay near each other, the 3 Riflemen secure the surroundings, the 2 snipers go in different directions (but stay near the riflemen) and the Rocketeer does something.

First base is always middle east. With this I cover both africas, europe, middle east, a good portion of russia and have access to Indo-china.

Second base then goes to North America to cover that part of the globe. 3rd planned base will either cover the tail end of russia with a base in Japan or i'll site one in the forest of Borneo.

With troops, I run with:

2 dedicated snipers,

1 machine gunner,

1 rocket totter,

everyone else with rifles

I don't ever seem to use them shotguns very much as I try to engage at range as much as possible. Armoured car brings along another rokkit lawnchair.

Troop placements have Rifle troops at each door (always newbs here), snipers immediately behind these men next to the cockpit block with missile man in the middle. Front row just behind the armoured car will reside the machine gunner in the middle, flanked by my remaining riflemen. This allows me to quickly deploy my heavy weapons in any direction I require should I come under fire immediately after getting out of the chopper without risking my best troops.