Realistic Aircrafts mod v1.0

SoloA

Open aircraft.xml.

Find F-14

Replace the missile loadout with 4 cannons.

Replace the cannosn and missile numbers.

Done.

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="13.5">

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">airplane.human.f14</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">200</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">20</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">22000</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">2480</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">600</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">40</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">15</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1</Data></Cell> <---- 4 cannons, not 1

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">0</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">2</Data></Cell> <----- set missiles to 0

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">30,48;43,48;46,29</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:Index="16"><Data ss:Type="Number">200</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">0.4</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s66"><Data ss:Type="Number">75000</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">19.100000000000001</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">11.65</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">18100</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">40</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2x TF30-PW-414A</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">F-14A Tomcat</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">58000</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">AV.M61VULCAN;AV.AIM7E;AV.AIM7E</Data></Cell> <--every entry shuld be AV.M61VULCAN

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">350;300;260;60;260;390</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">aircraft/f14</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">aircraft/aircombat/f14</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">70</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s68"><Data ss:Type="String">Yes</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="Number">1</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Yes</Data></Cell>

<Cell ss:StyleID="s68"><Data ss:Type="String">No</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Yes</Data></Cell>

</Row>

If you are looking for suggestions and can't include the Harrier because it is too slow (and can't incorporate its VTOL combat advantage) then there is no point in including it I guess. In that case, I vote for this quite beautiful-looking aircraft, due to enter service with Russia/India soon (if you are looking for an up-to-date A/C, that is). Where you are going to get reliable info. for it though is another question as it would be classified I guess.

Pak T50:

300px-Sukhoi_T-50_in_2011_(4).jpg

Isn't she beautiful?! Bet she's not as capable as the Raptor though! Still - love the camo...

300px-Sukhoi_T-50_in_2011_(4).jpg

300px-Sukhoi_T-50_in_2011_(4).jpg.a62632

I puzzled over the range specs numbers, there any formula?

No formula, only balance requirements.

I compared relative benefits of RL aircrafts, ignoring hard numbers, I noticed few flaws, IE f15 has longer range than f14, f16 is in between 14/15, yet in your 'stats' this is reversed. are there a game balancing intentions?

Yes, a game balancing intentions.

I assume this is game limitation, what is the maximum hardpoint; is it 1 cannon and 4 of combination light & heavy?;

1 cannon + 2 missiles or 4 missiles max. 1 cannon + 3 missiles don't work.

I note several aircrafts that is either non-existant or non-production aircrafts as of September 1979; I assume you are following the game designer's implication to use aircrafts that has been tested/but not on production? [maybe idle engineer at xeno bases building aircraft before september 1979.]

Let's assume, that they are prototypes.

Weapon Position lines and Slot Positions lines confuse me a bit. What is the difference?

And how hte hell does positioning work?

Weapon Position - is position of weapons in battle.

Slot Position - is position of weapon in hangar.

What's the toughest craft you've tested it against?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. English is not my native language. Please ask questions without using a specific terms and complex linguistic constructions :)

Is it possible to make range of aircraft affected by weapon loadout?

It's impossible for modding, maybe Chris will do it, but how much this function is needed?

And is it possible to mod the UFOs?

Yes. UFO's characteristics are in the file aircrafts.xml

Hello,

to compare and figure out the "game" stats. <.....>

Speeds of Missiles chosen only for reasons of balance.

Dependence of damage on the number of explosives is nonlinear, but I tried to follow the proportions of a real life.

Ingame distance is equal to half the real distance with small balance changes. AIM-7 'Sparrow' is AIM-7E with 25km range.

my choice of aircrafts would be on the CF-105 Avro Arrow (1958), J35 Draken (1965), S-27 'Flanker' (1984).

sad part is the first two aircrafts is not in his mod.

When choosing aircraft for my mod, I saw these planes, like all USA Century Fighters.

Did you make the images yourself or find them online?

I painted all the aircraft self. In the first message you can download their PSD files.

Pak T50:

I like PAKFA T50 too, but in 1979 there was not even ideas about it.

Weird request, but later on would it be possible to have a 'historically accurate' mod? IE: Planes that existed IRL as a prototype/concept model at the least to be included.

Seeing the Avro Arrow would be pretty cool. Granted, it's around 20 years old in-setting, but it was very much ahead of its' time when it was made, being 10-20 years ahead of every other existing aircraft at the time.

I was asking about real life.
Some AC are pretty sturdy. The A-10 and HIND (mi-24 - 25) helicopter come to mind.

The A-10 can withstand small missile and AA hits up to 23 mm. This is done through a combination of armor, redundant systems, and the layout of the AC. One thing many people may not know is that a lot of missile hit and AA hits aren't direct hits. They close explosions triggered by a proximity fuse in the missile or shell. The AC isn't blown apart by the explosives in the warhead, it's shredded by the fragments from the blast (like a big hand grenade.) So, armor can make a big difference against missiles and smaller projectiles. I doubt even the A-10 could survive a DIRECT missile hit from anything larger than a shoulder launched missile. However, the A-10 does provide the pilot with a lot of armor. It has been known to save the pilot from hits up to 57mm AA. Even if the plane goes down pilot survivability is quite likely.

My guess is that against alien beam weapons, which by definition are always direct hits, it's unlikely you could armor an AC enough with Earth tech to help much. Of course, exotic alien materials might make it possible.

Hello,

Weird request, but later on would it be possible to have a 'historically accurate' mod? IE: Planes that existed IRL as a prototype/concept model at the least to be included.

Seeing the Avro Arrow would be pretty cool. Granted, it's around 20 years old in-setting, but it was very much ahead of its' time when it was made, being 10-20 years ahead of every other existing aircraft at the time.

ah another avro arrow fan.

some technolgies in Avro arrow are ahead by 30 years, thus they averaged to 20.

you know that Canadian Avro has another military jet aircraft on design board (looked like moveable wing aircraft of the 70's). If not stopped by their government, this might be another "ahead of time" aircraft.

R

Some AC are pretty sturdy. The A-10 and HIND (mi-24 - 25) helicopter come to mind.

The A-10 can withstand small missile and AA hits up to 23 mm. This is done through a combination of armor, redundant systems, and the layout of the AC. One thing many people may not know is that a lot of missile hit and AA hits aren't direct hits. They close explosions triggered by a proximity fuse in the missile or shell. The AC isn't blown apart by the explosives in the warhead, it's shredded by the fragments from the blast (like a big hand grenade.) So, armor can make a big difference against missiles and smaller projectiles. I doubt even the A-10 could survive a DIRECT missile hit from anything larger than a shoulder launched missile. However, the A-10 does provide the pilot with a lot of armor. It has been known to save the pilot from hits up to 57mm AA. Even if the plane goes down pilot survivability is quite likely.

My guess is that against alien beam weapons, which by definition are always direct hits, it's unlikely you could armor an AC enough with Earth tech to help much. Of course, exotic alien materials might make it possible.

I wouldn't say "Earth tech being screwed against alien weapons" is definite. We have ablative armor on space shuttles so they can survive leaving and re-entering the atmosphere. So either that, or a ton of funding could lead to *some* defense. In scifi, one defense against lasers at least are smoke chafe missiles.

Which would you say are the 'best' aircraft to use ATM? I've been using F-12 Heavy Interceptors and MiG-31s.

Hello,

found in v16 xenopedia, should have looked in xenopedia earlier for additional reference information

Avalanche is 58 kg shape charge explosive, derived from AIM 54 Phoenix. BTW phoenix is 61 kg Blast Fragmentation/

Sidewinder is AIM 9, however is not using IR, is using primitive special Radiation detection.

there are at least this many types of explosive.. warheads...

1st kind, most common blast fragmentation [shrapnel] is simply tear up weaponary into shrapnel and fling it (supposedly hit target), creating "shotgun holes"...

2nd kind, is fragmentation, is adding more particles, which hit target... again shotgun holes...

1st kind rod fragmentation, is similar to 2nd kind, throwing out rods, approximately 6 to 10 mm long, creating longer tears in hull, and the speed of target will cause tear or rod to keep on tearing...

2nd kind rod fragmentation, several is welded together, but breaks at certain points, creating "bigger or longer" rod, for bigger tear and "small shear-off". drawback is to explode at right timing to make effective.

3rd kind rod fragmentation, is completely welded, but expands like a ring, known to "shear off frames/hull. etc, if close enough".

shape charge, engineered melt the weaponary body (slugs) and flings outward, theoretically melt target hull, and continue causing internal damage from heat or stress deformation. (this method is not preferred in dogfight style, due to possible slugs hitting friendly and cause damages. see below about AIM 47.)

nuclear charge, well obviously heat and stress deformation by energy spread.

the AIM 54 is added on fragmentation (#2),

sidewinder is thought as both #1 and #2, with internal body "cut-engineered" to maximize shrapnels (this also makes missle lighter by weight anyway).

in early AIM experiments with shape charge, reveals slugs still holding heat after being flung and does depended on flinging force to 'splat' penetrate the hull. and determined blast fragmentation is more effective.

now it is alot easier to plug in and balance the damage of the missles that SoloA incorporated into his mod. I would derive something as approximation; of course with game balancing....

1 lb blast frag (both #1 or #2) for 9 point damage (from game), AIM 9, and many various missles.

1st stage rod 1 lb for 11 point damage, (AIM-7 sparrow, Firestreak, Redtop)

2nd stage rod 1 lb for 12, (only one; AIM 26B)

3rd stage rod same with 2nd stage... 12 (only 5 missle has that Skyflash, Vympel r73, r27, r23 and Molniya r60) I assume alien alloy hull is "tough to shear"

shape charge (human's alloys) would be 3.45 for each pound of explosive (from game) (warhead size fits heavy missle anyway)

only Rafael Python 3 and AIM 47 has that.

alien alloy is supposed to withstand atmospheric burn, thus limiiting to do melt-damage.

with alien alloys and shape charge, thus definitely will melt alien hull, I would make this twice damage... at 6.9. This one has to be xeno-engineered and mfg'd.

what do you guys and gal think of this suggestion?

R

Edited by rynait

Nicely done, I have 2 gripes though:

1: The engines on the F-5 look like they're in a single engine housing (Kinda makes it look like a F-20... Which is cool too) When, from the pictures I can find, the engine have separate nozzles. Also, the lack of wing missile rails bugs me for some reason.

2: Why no F-8? Yeah, it's a little obsolete by '79, but so are a few of the aircraft already in the mod. XP

Anyways, good work!