Realistic Aircrafts mod v1.0

SoloA

I tried transferring the starting aircraft to another base, but it causes the game to crash. So now I have a borked save since I cant de-commission them. :<

That's a known issue with saving/loading + transfers. If you load a save made during a transfer (ie, the C17 is on the map), the game *will* CTD when the transport gets to its destination.

The only workaround currently is to simply save before and after the transfer, not during.

First of all, thanks for the awesome mod bro.

Now to the questions... Is there a way to see aircraft stats somewhere? I mean, before we buy or build them. Speed, range, load-out, that kind of stuff.

And which aircraft you guys prefer, and why?

Edit: Found aircrafts.xml, so I got an answer for my first question :) Sorry, come to moding, I am as oblivious as a mountaing goat. Still quite happy to use em. Thanks for this awesomeness once again.

Edited by Comrade Mrki

Need help with the Xenopedia images and entires?

Thanks for the help, but find beautiful pictures of aircraft on the internet is not a problem. The problem is that they all have copyrights and I do not want to plagiarize.

This is data on the aircrafts and weapons used in my mode:

acw9z.png

You can change it in aircrafts.xml

2rm9xqh.png

You can change it in aircraftweapons.xml

I don't think all images have some heavy copyrighting. In most cases it's "jsut give the artist due credit" .

And besides - it's a mod. You aren't earning any cash.

There shouldn't be any problem.

Also, there's more to finishing aircraft than images - you need proper ufopedia entries. I can write them.

EDIT: Those aircraft stats need some tweaking..

And a small addition:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-history-f14x.htm

Edited by TrashMan

Hello,

I looked at the RL stats of aircrafts that you had added, few questions... well not really questions more like inquiry-issues.

A) I puzzled over the range specs numbers, there any formula?

B) I compared relative benefits of RL aircrafts, ignoring hard numbers, I noticed few flaws, IE f15 has longer range than f14, f16 is in between 14/15, yet in your 'stats' this is reversed. are there a game balancing intentions?

C) I assume this is game limitation, what is the maximum hardpoint; is it 1 cannon and 4 of combination light & heavy?;

D) I note several aircrafts that is either non-existant or non-production aircrafts as of September 1979; I assume you are following the game designer's implication to use aircrafts that has been tested/but not on production? [maybe idle engineer at xeno bases building aircraft before september 1979.]

R

Edited by rynait

HM....I'm trying to figure out how setting hardpointsweaposn work...

I'm trying to add a cannon to the F-14 in addition to the 4 missiles (2 normal, 2 heavy missile slots)

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">24,44;32,44;42,44;49,44</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">AV.M61VULCAN;AV.AIM9D;AV.AIM9D;AV.AIM7E;AV.AIM7E</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">200;90;215;90;215;360;380;155;380;295</Data></Cell>

Weapon Position lines and Slot Positions lines confuse me a bit. What is the difference?

And how hte hell does positioning work?

Edited by TrashMan

The aircraft are limited to 4 hardpoints I believe.

There was a previous thread where additional hardpoints were wanted but the UI doesn't support them.

You can add extra ones in one of the LUA script files but they stand a good chance of causing a crash.

*edit* found the thread here:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/2440-Aircraft-Weapon-Layouts-Question

Edited by Gauddlike

This mod is pretty BA. AWESOME JOB!

And you guys mentioned the YF-12 (which I think would have been a much better choice than the Mig-32 in this game! xD)... I had a professor who used to work for the US Air Force on some pretty neat stuff. He said one of the reasons this plane was abandoned was that by the time it made a 180 degree turn after an interception, it would have passed over several countries (given the places it would have possibly seen some action)! And at least for this craft, it would only have three hardpoints...

This mod is pretty BA. AWESOME JOB!

And you guys mentioned the YF-12 (which I think would have been a much better choice than the Mig-32 in this game! xD)... I had a professor who used to work for the US Air Force on some pretty neat stuff. He said one of the reasons this plane was abandoned was that by the time it made a 180 degree turn after an interception, it would have passed over several countries (given the places it would have possibly seen some action)! And at least for this craft, it would only have three hardpoints...

oops... YF-12 has four. Tricky..YF-12 do not have AIM-54 'Phoenix' electronics

instead one of the hardpoint is designated for support electronics, thus only 3 hardpoints available for heavy.

Personally i wondered if this craft could pack AIM-9 [this is light missle, 'sidewinder'] without electonics

Edited by rynait

Hello,

to compare and figure out the "game" stats.

RL sidewinder [nearest/best to 1979] 9.4 kg explosive, speed = mach 2.5, range = 19km, weighs 86 kg

game sidewinder {from xml} damage = 85, speed = 12000, range = 8000, (no weight specified)

expolating this.. speed: mach 2.5 = 3062.61 km/h = 850.73 meter/hr = 2791.092 ft/s = 1903.017 mph {what is game's 12000??}

damage: 1 lb explosive = 9.04 damage

range: (19*1000)/8000 = 2.375 m

recalculate speed... 12000/2.375 m = 5052.6 {not matching... must be formula}

nothing matches... lets take above numbers to the 'Avalanche'

xxxxxx

RL AIM-54 'Phoenix' [nearest to 1979] 60 kg explosive, speed = mach 5, range =150km, weighs 462 kg

RL AIM-7 'Sparrow' [nearest to 1979], 39 kg explosive, speed = mach 4, range = 70 km, weighs 230 kg.

game "Avalanche" {from xml} damage = 200, speed = 5000, range = 15000.

extrapolating 'Avalanche'

damage = 60 * 9.04 = 542.4 {not match}, instead taking 200/9.04 = 22.2 kg explosive...

range = 15000 * 2.375 = 35,625 m

speed = clearly in rl heavy missles are faster, due to larger body to carry warhead, thus increases proprellant load.

clearly aircraft weapons has some sort of formula also.

R

Edited by rynait
wrong model for 'sparrow'

I tested a 4-cannon F-14. It works.

And it's murdering UFO's like nobodys buisness. Simply glorious.

Interesting, I took look at RL military fighters. 1958 is last year to carry more than 2 cannons.

Lansen, Crusader, Vautour, Gloster Javelin, Super Sabre, Mig 19 'Farmer'. is close to 1958, and is not in Soloa's mod.

I also noticed those aircraft has low "top speed" rating compared to same age aircrafts with 1 or 2 cannons.

to make balance, this murdering F14 'cannons' should suffer "speed loss".

R

Edited by rynait

And I'm sad the F-104 starfighter isn't included... that's my fave plane :3

Ha! Noisy beasts wern't they!? I remember seeing 4 of them together at Farnborough. I don't think they'd fit well in the game though as they couldn't carry much armament and they were very tricky to fly (i think the Luftwaffe lost around 70 just to mishaps). It wouldn't be nice to loose them to flying accidents in the game, having to fork out more $ for new interceptors due to this!

Hello,

have created a spreadsheet spanning from 1948 to roughly 1980 to study various abilities of fighter aircrafts

my choice of aircrafts would be on the CF-105 Avro Arrow (1958), J35 Draken (1965), S-27 'Flanker' (1984).

sad part is the first two aircrafts is not in his mod.

R

Interesting, I took look at RL military fighters. 1958 is last year to carry more than 2 cannons.

Lansen, Crusader, Vautour, Gloster Javelin, Super Sabre, Mig 19 'Farmer'. is close to 1958, and is not in Soloa's mod.

I also noticed those aircraft has low "top speed" rating compared to same age aircrafts with 1 or 2 cannons.

to make balance, this murdering F14 'cannons' should suffer "speed loss".

R

It kills fighters easily.

Agaisnt a radar scout? It dies interestingly enough.

Cannon-based dogfighters need speed (to get in range faster), huge manouverability and armor.