[V15.1]CTDwhen alien die, others little bugs

I'm using the Desura version on Windows xp pro x86, so I don't believe it's a 64bit only problem. After verifying the files, I have not been able to reproduce the ctd.(though I couldn't reproduce the crash before verifying the files either).

I have the same invisible alien crashes the game when killed problem. Tried Gauddlike's idea on the first page but it didn't help. Also have win 7 x64.

Edit: Standalone download v15 updated to v15.1 and Giovanni's farm map hotfix.

I have the same invisible alien crashes the game when killed problem. Tried Gauddlike's idea on the first page but it didn't help. Also have win 7 x64.

Edit: Standalone download v15 updated to v15.1 and Giovanni's farm map hotfix.

I have the same issue here. Constantly crashing whenever I try to kill an alien. Barred from playing which sucks because the first few missions were quit fun. Hope this gets fixed soon.

I have a same problem:

When you start crash-site mission from geoscape all Ok (for both type of aliens).

But if you try to load autosave or a game saved during the mission then you had invisible aliens, support troops and civilians.

When you manage to kill some of these "invisible" alien -> CTD

I have a same problem:

When you start crash-site mission from geoscape all Ok (for both type of aliens).

But if you try to load autosave or a game saved during the mission then you had invisible aliens, support troops and civilians.

When you manage to kill some of these "invisible" alien -> CTD

Yes. Loading up Ground Combat from saves is rather broken at the moment. Not only do you get some horrible tile rendering issues on the left of the screen when scrolling, but aliens appear invisible, the aiming cursor is also invisible, and of course, horrible CTDs.

Although I've figured out the reproduction steps a few weeks ago and it's quite an old bug, I don't recall ever reading a bug report for it. Might be worth doing that at some point.

Sort of workaround is to make a manual save just before your Chinook reaches the crash site, so that if you do crash you can load up the geoscape first, and then start a GroundCombat properly by only having to wait for the few seconds for the Chinook to reach it.

...but aliens appear invisible, the aiming cursor is also invisible, and of course, horrible CTDs.

it.

I really question the design decision that causes a CTD when it can't find the related sprites.

1. No information is given to the user as to the cause. An error message, at the -very least- should be displayed.

2. There is no reliable way of identifying the cause of the crash. Perhaps it's the common case of not being able to find the appropriate sprites - but maybe not. There is no method for the devs to determine what actually happened. A simple method would be to implement minidumps. Why this has not been done, considering the relative dev cost, is inconceivable.

3. I fail to understand why default placeholder sprites cannot be displayed in the absence of finding the requested set. A simple screencap would allow the user to show the relevant sprites to the devs in an upload. CTD is difficult to communicate.