"Non pro amore patriae"-Not for love of country

I like this one because it reasonates on a lot of levels. As a soldier you take an oath of service to your country that's supposed to mean something. During the Cold War period the "walls" between rival nations (both real and ideological) were seen as absolutes with clear lines drawn between good and evil.

When a threat arrives that transcends all of these carefully constructed demarcations that we as humans beings have seen as so critical to who we are that is huge. Imagine the fireworks when elite soldiers rival nations are dragged into one space and told they must work together for the good of humanity as a whole. If there was any kind of induction ceremony I can't see it being anything other than renouncing all of the nations they had served for the greater good of a united humanity. In this context the idea of a country should seem small or petty.

This or steal one from John Lennon;

Xenonauts: Imagine:)

Also if anyone remembers that 90s American military series that was a bit Top Gun-ish but with a Sci-Fi twist. It was called Space: Above and Beyond, got cancelled after one season. Anyway, "Above and beyond" is simple, down to earth and military sounding but has an additional layer of meaning in the context of an organization meant to fight an extraterrestrial foe.

I remember it, it was space Marines, and i think the Chigs had a better saying, "Abandon all hope"

Or maybe you can say "Do you want to live forever?"

I really like the cold war analogy from horrid. In fact, think about a spetnaz working with a Seal? Does the Chinese soldier care about a latin Slogan? Guys, come'on! The Latin Stuff is Nato centric. You need to find something that is global. Span all citizenship, is respected by all culture and is a symbol of unification uder the menace of a outside evil.

A moto might be ill suied, but a symbol is worth a thousand words. Having a bit of iconic art from several country might be a good ideahere. Some arabic tiling in the backgroun, roman X letter in the middle. Asian Lines, japanese and chinese. indian ... ? .... russian red (chinese red too) .. some gold, some blue (NATO), that might even help you export the game to these country by NOT being ethnocentric, or NATO centric.

Not really. Nato is very reliant on latin for everything, and I mean, eerything.

Occidental civilisation is reliant on latin for most of it's cultural background, original from greece. It's all around there in rome, the renaissance then England, France, the NATO .. but not so the UN.

Chinese have their own civilisation as do the Japanese and te russian (kinda in the middle).

Chines are Taotism Japanese are ... Japanese! Tea ceremonies. Sorry but Latin is not universal as an inspiration.

We think it is but Asian countries have their own ... philosophers (Sun-Tzu, Mao Tsé-Tung, Stalin)

I don't think that a writen word might suit all of these egocentrical regimes at the time. Unless written in latin, old chines, russian and japanese (you can't take a japanes for a chines or vice versa, it's very touchy). If you whated a Internationnal thing done in these years, it had to be equally done. UN jobs are nuts jobs in that regard. Nothing get done for a reason.

Russia and China never joined Nato (it was their ennemy at the time, right). A clue might be Esperanto. It is a language that as being engeneered in 1880 in Russia. Officially the first UN language back in WW1. It countain dialect from several civilisation, it is buityfull to the ears and was tough to be the tongue of the future ... however, barely anyone speak it today but it might be the middle ground you seek here.

Sorry guys but latin won't cut it, especially in China. They consider it as cultural invasion.

Edited by plucx

Esperanto never took off for a reason. And yes, while Latin (from Italy) is quite Eurocentric, it is probably a language that has influenced the most countries in the world, for just as you say, it is in NATO, it is in scientific names, it is all over the show.

And don't worry too much about this, we have no idea if Chris is even going to use any of these motto ideas. I see this more as an interesting way for people to express their views about what signifies the feel of X-COM/Xenonauts for them =]

Also, wouldn't really call Stalin a philosopher... Not sure about Mao, but probably not either

Hello,

if it comes to art, maybe a human hand outstretched, from background, ready to "grab" a puny (bug sized shape) alien.

Oh well... idea is idea.

R

I believe thres already a posters thread or something with art in it instead of mottos.

PS. Somehow that strikes me more as something that would work better with the Alien hand reaching out from the unknown to grab Xenonauts. A hand reaching out from the background towards the veiwer disassosiates with the hand representing the viewer or the viewers cause/interest. IMO. DS.

PPS. Chris is also going for a feeling that the Alien threat is cascading and threatening to overwhelm humanity. portraying them as "bugsized" or insignificant sends the wrong message. DS.

Edited by Gorlom