I like "Xenonauts: Quid Agis

Translated: "Xenonauts: What's going on?"

hahaha

I think the motto, if there is one, should emphasize the bravery of those who are willing to fight aliens. "COURAGE AND EXPLORATION" or "BEYOND BRAVE"

Hm, its interesting to mull over

How about something like "Etiam non timebit ignotum" (We shall fear no unknown) playing on the "I shall fear no evil" from Christian.. stuff.

My other ideas were "Purge the Deep" (Expurgate abyssi) or "Purge the Unknown" (Expurgate ignotum)... Something like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How about the speech the President made in the movie "Independence Day", or something from or paraphrased from that speech?

Such as:

"We will not go quietly into the night. We will not lay down without a fight."

... or something along those lines.

I very much do like the Latin motto suggestions, though! Those are nice!

Why not the obvious "Oderint dum metuant"(Let them hate so long as they fear) , directed at the Extraterrestrials obviously :rolleyes:

but who says they hate us? We don't know what their motivation is... they could just be really evil!

Xenonauts: Bag'em and Frag'em

Much easier to frag them once they're in the bag Sathra!

Edited by anotherdevil
Silly little things like rayguns

As for their motivations, I remember reading back in the old X-Com days (whether it was an interview, an article, or fan fiction) that the aliens were basically Space Locusts. They would travel from planet to planet, pillage and plunder all useful resources, then move on. As for us, we are useful for our genetic material to strengthen themselves, slaves to build more ships, and as food. They're not evil as we understand, just amoral. The only thing about us they fear is that they recognize that we have the potential to be better than themselves psionically. :)

As for mottos, how about:

E Pluribus Unum ("Out of many one") - A common phrase I know but it could represent the unlikely banding together of the various Earth forces during the Cold War. Currently used by the Estonian Scouts Battalion.

Viribus Unitis ("Joining forces") - For the same reason as above. Currently used by the German Heerestruppenbrigade.

@AD: My original response was actually much more...amoral. Disturbingly so, so I didn't post it. Never know who's reading.

@Straker: Sounds like a fanfic. I vaguely remember an article/interview with the creators and they didn't really plan out the background either. Did for the later games though.