UFO interceptions should not always start head to head.

StellarRat

There should be some randomization for the starting positions during an intercept specially since we only have two dimensions to work in. Your squadron shouldn't be broken up up, but air combat ought to start in different configurations. I could easily see the XCom fighters beginning at the UFO six o'clock position as well as other positions. There ought to be a GOOD chance the engagement should begin with the fighter behind or to the side of the UFO if they are chasing it before the engagement.

I've never had an intercept start from the 11 o'clock - 7 o'clock positions. I think I might have a couple where I started at 6, but how does that fix anything if the UFO can always turn around before you can even get close? Maybe what I should have said the engagement range and position should be more random.

Edited by StellarRat

The facings of the aircraft on the combat screen are, I believe, based on the directions the craft were moving on the Geoscape at the time of interception. If you're seeing a lot of the same facings, this could simply be a consequence of the fact that interceptions are simply more likely to happen at certain angles.

The facings of the aircraft on the combat screen are, I believe, based on the directions the craft were moving on the Geoscape at the time of interception. If you're seeing a lot of the same facings, this could simply be a consequence of the fact that interceptions are simply more likely to happen at certain angles.
Well, I'm pretty the majority of the ones I've been doing a from 12 or 6. I've never seen a 9 o'clock angle, but I'm going to start noting the angles. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe there is a pattern.

Majority of my engagements have been from 12 or 6, but that's probably because they've either been running away (scouts) or have been coming straight at me (fighters).

But I've had engagements start from all kinds of positions, like MrPyro said, it's most likely to do with the orientation of the UFO on the map when your fighters intercept it.