Study/Harness Alien Tech on Site

Vivoune

I know its most likely never gonna happen but I figured I'd still throw the idea around anyways as I know that's an addition I'd enjoy.

I was thinking of a feature to give us the ability, or rather the need to send scientist/technicians crews after a successful mission to harness/study some of the biggest alien stuff. Just like you send soldiers to missions only the space on the dropship would be divided between either scientists/technicians and soldiers for their protections.

There isn't really a harnessing/studying mission so to speak, just a geomap marker and countdown that starts when the team arrives and start working. You do use real crews and a dropship though like for a regular mission.

The more scientists/technicians on site the quicker Harnessing/Studying would go while the more soldiers are affected to the mission the less chances of Aliens to try and secure back what is theirs. So you got to make choices. Required time on site would of course vary, just like risks.

If the team is successful then either you just discovered something (research is over) or they bring back whatever the harnessed for further study (new research unlock).

If despite the soldiers the aliens attacks (could be a % chance every hour for example) an event windows popup offering the player with various choices which could be:

1-Fight the aliens, in which case the map loads and everything goes on kinda like a normal mission, win by killing all aliens (and keep on working afterwards) or loose if all soldiers drop dead, in which case you also loose the whole crew, the dropship and the chance to study/harness in that particular site.

2-Retreat, you'd just retreat all your crew thinking it's not worth the risk and come home empty handed and with a slim chance for crew casualties. The site then disappear and can't be studied/harnessed again.

Edited by Vivoune

I like that idea, but I doubt there is time to implement it. For the big ships this actually makes a lot of sense. Also, scientists could probably learn quite a bit about the aliens simply by observing how they communicate, fight and operate their ships/equipment and potentially by investigating any wounded but not quite dead aliens. Kind of a field study. I could even see knocking them out and planting some type of bugs on them, but NOT COLORFUL EAR tags.

scientist: And as you can see form the GPS, the Caesian is now going to the equivalent of it's watering hole.

Cpt thothkins: Hang on. you've known about the alien base for months?!

scientist: well yes, but we had document the Caesian migratory patterns before...now put the gun away...

Cpt thothkins: > disables safety< You idiot! We lost Africa last week!

scientist: calm down captain. Don't force me to use the David Attenborough voice over on you.

Edited by thothkins