So how far can we get in the game?

Until you can start to capture live aliens, you won't be able to get real far. I believe at this point you can unlock new Earth-based technologies, but very little alien tech. In the OG, much of that required a live alien Navigator or Engineer to pry the true secrets out.

Not being able to build an alien containment system is a great way of blocking access to late-game content. There's only so much we can piece together from smoking corpses and shot-down metal.

Until you can start to capture live aliens, you won't be able to get real far. I believe at this point you can unlock new Earth-based technologies, but very little alien tech. In the OG, much of that required a live alien Navigator or Engineer to pry the true secrets out.

Not being able to build an alien containment system is a great way of blocking access to late-game content. There's only so much we can piece together from smoking corpses and shot-down metal.

Actually, you can't get access to late game content because its not in game :P

For example, while there are no alien containments, you can still capture aliens if they are stunned. Research for captured aliens give you place holder without any text or effect.

I "captured" an alien that went down from smoke. However, I was not able to conduct any research on the captured alien. How did you get that project to start?

Anyway, in game or not, Chris can build it out as far as he wants, and still use such a "gateway" mechanic to restrict access to further content. That was all I was saying.

Selected Caesan/Sebilian Interrogation from extraterrestrials research slot duh.

But yeah, some stuff are already in game files(mainly images for corpses and stuff and armors and vehicles and weapons... Lots of stuff actually, just not finished alien units and such) so they can be spoiled if you check them out.

I'm torn between wanting to go further in the Alpha, and holding back until the final product in order to keep the surprises fresh...luckily my game time is limited right now and I can just go out, kill a couple of things (good, bad or buildings) and quit....

As there's only limited stuff in the Alpha, you won't be spoiling anything by having a good go at it.