Xenonauts vs Xcom Enemy Unknown

*eye roll*

Anyway, in the end it still that Firaxis' game is reimagining while Xenonauts is remake :P

"reimagining", true... i shouldn't always have my mind thinking xcom-eu is remake.

i noticed that the 'cover system' in this reimagining EU changing my way of playing. the visual of half-cover or full-cover indication makes me too rely on it rather than using my brain to decide whether a fruit tree or a plywood farmhouse wall provide better coverage.

in other words, it is some sort like dumbed me down, and just blindly follow the indicator shouting : "hey! come over here, full cover!"

hmm..... that looks inspiring, but spoon feeding as well. :P

After several hours of XCOM: EU I say it is a good game, but it is also made to current trends in game design. I prefer myself the "real world" approach to TBS games, by which I mean if I want to use 5 grenades, I also have to buy and carry them, or the free use of my time during a turn. Firaxis' game uses the console approach, by using unlimited ammo or cooldowns on weapons, and giving each unit two moves per turn (no matter if it is one step or 60)...and I am not really happy with rocket launchers that can be used basically but once per mission (yes, with higher levels it can fire once more...).

My real gripe with the game is the camera, though. I hate it when the point of view jumps eratically over the screen, and that you cannot pinpoint it somewhere. I want a battlefield view, and not one jumping to the position of every soldier. And you can only rotate in 90° jumps - why they did not put in a stable viewpoint over the battlefield that I can freely move I don't know, it would have been far better.

Anyway...the game is OK and I have not had any problems with crashing/CTD/bugs so far, so high marks there from me.

Nonetheless, I will be happy when I can lay my hands on the finished Xenonauts for a more involved experience ;)

"reimagining", true... i shouldn't always have my mind thinking xcom-eu is remake.

i noticed that the 'cover system' in this reimagining EU changing my way of playing. the visual of half-cover or full-cover indication makes me too rely on it rather than using my brain to decide whether a fruit tree or a plywood farmhouse wall provide better coverage.

in other words, it is some sort like dumbed me down, and just blindly follow the indicator shouting : "hey! come over here, full cover!"

hmm..... that looks inspiring, but spoon feeding as well. :P

Not entirely so, some cover breaks more easily, some explode. You should still take care what you hide behind ;)

6. It appeared that the recent update to EU changed this, but earlier in the week every single mission happened at night. Even if the clock said it was 3 in the afternoon, it would still be a night mission. If the Geoscape showed full daylight when you landed, it was a night mission. In the original, I would delay the dropship deployment time until it was daytime as it just made it so much easier. With the update, though, I've noticed that some missions are during the day. Can't seem to time the skyranger deployment time, though, as it can apparently travel across the world in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.
The day/night problem is still there. You can land in the middle of the night and get a day mission and vice versa. I'm starting to think it's tied to the maps themselves (they aren't randomly generated).

How many people have joined the forums this October?
Hehe! That's a good question. I bet Firaxis dropping the ball with XCOM: Enemy Unknown has driven a lot of people here. Heck that's why I'm here! I read about Xenonauts on the XCOM Steam forum a few minutes ago and was like "OH HELL YEAH!" *click*

I remember buying the original XCOM game BEFORE i actually owned the Playstation to play it on...that's how good it looked (and ya im old). Here are the absolute dealbreakers of XEU:

1. Can't sell stuff your engineers make! Really? I have a bunch of stuff I can't/won't use that required valuable time and scarce materials...frustrating. Yes you might get lucky with a country's special request...

2. Alien corpses are needed to make advanced gear...goofy

3. No option to choose new soldier profession (or even gender/nationality)...dumb. Half my guys were heavies ffs.

4. Interceptor missions are just horrible..unbelievably SIMPLER than the 1994 version. I made laser/phoenix cannons for my ships...wasteful. Just wait for plasma and put on Firestorms.

5. Support guy dies, medikits can't be used. Medikits pretty weak until you unlock his ability AND research "improved" in foundry.

6. Shotguns suck as do the late game alloy cannons

7. Trying to get your sniper to high ground in the larger UFO missions is meh, too high and camera gets wonky.

8. Cover seems useless when 75% of the time my guys get hit when in partial cover (half shield).

9. I can move and shoot but can't shoot then move and missing 95% shots but hitting 30% shots...working as intended?

10. Early game is harder and more desperate than Late game...once alien base is neutralized, panic is manageable

I have a request for the Xenonauts creators...just finish the darn game and get it out the door already. I'm not a fan of pre-orders (burnt twice). But I will buy your game IF you release it before January 2013...after that I'm giving up hope of a proper remake.

Well, XEU is a good game, it give me the feeling of "XCOM for non-hardcore players". Or worse, feel kind of like a kid Commander compare to the old powerful badass XCOM Commander of the old days.

Reason : Everything is handed down to your hand.

+ Your mother in the research tell you what is the top-priority research that needs to be done.

+ Your father in the factory... well, luckily he isn't too fond of teaching you the way your mother do. I like him the most in the family.

+ Your brother a.k.a the true actually Commander in the shadow control everything you do.

+ Your grandfather sometime appear on a big screen telling you to go do his errands.

And if you just listen to them, and pass "checkpoints" the game will progress exactly the same each and everytime. Well, the missions are random, but aside from that the game is like a cute shooter campaign game. Not to mention the combat system is flashy, funy, interesting, and with an elementary-level of strategy needed.

So yeah, XEU is XCOM for kid commanders T_T

I have a request for the Xenonauts creators...just finish the darn game and get it out the door already. I'm not a fan of pre-orders (burnt twice). But I will buy your game IF you release it before January 2013...after that I'm giving up hope of a proper remake.

Good things come to those who wait.

UFO fans have been waiting for a new XCOM for 15 years.

Well, I didn't really expect one would ever be made. Now there are two.

The first one wasn't so good; won't it be better if Goldhawk takes their time with Xeno?

Of course even better things come to those who take matters into their own hands.

I wonder how many of you would have felt about X-COM: Enemy Unknown if it didn't carry the X-COM label. Most complaints are based on the game not being true to the original. I haven't played the original, btw.

I regret not pre-ordering X-COM: EU, since if I buy it now, I"ll miss out on the bonuses. I'm having a good time checking IRC channels and hearing stories about the feats and failures of my or others' X-COM:EU counterpart in their campaigns.

I'm one who has registered this month too :P Enjoying my time with X-COM:EU but it seems to be a shell compared to the original / Xenonauts. This I think is a good thing in a way as it can drive people who are new to the genre & enjoy EU to something with a lot more depth.

I wonder how many of you would have felt about X-COM: Enemy Unknown if it didn't carry the X-COM label.

Well, I must say it would be a very good game. However even with new players [haven't played XCOM or something alike yet] my friends still said they feel controlled instead of being in control and the game system limit lots of what player can do, and most of them lots of players want to do [selling equipments, shooting at objects, etc]. So I guess to be fair that means the game still leave much to desired.

And btw the bonuses is not necessary for a completely feel of XEU. They're only for oldies and some stuffs to make you stronger - which in turn make a game that's very easy become even easier >.> So I think you can just buy it and enjoy with without giving too much thought about the bonuses you lost ^^

Edited by Shuichi Niwa

I wonder how many of you would have felt about X-COM: Enemy Unknown if it didn't carry the X-COM label.

They would probably make less money if they didn't have the X-COM name.There would be less hype and i would prefer that as much people as possible become familiar with the X-Com formula. Because i like the idea of fighting off aliens by researching their tech. And want more to be made.

+ Your mother in the research tell you what is the top-priority research that needs to be done.

+ Your father in the factory... well, luckily he isn't too fond of teaching you the way your mother do. I like him the most in the family.

+ Your brother a.k.a the true actually Commander in the shadow control everything you do.

+ Your grandfather sometime appear on a big screen telling you to go do his errands.

so true! and my mom even yelled at me in the middle of battle, scolded me for breaking the plasma gun... :o

Don't worry, pretty soon she will realize that instead of the plasma gun what she need is TONS of weapon fragments to do her research and then she might even encourage you to go and make them KA-BOOM as much as possible :)

However, sometimes the "story aspect" of this game annoy me to no end. Did any of you guys get that problem or is it just me ?

in 1994, i neither order my soldier kneel down next to the petrol pump nor next to the elerium fuel container.

In 1994, they use high quality gasoline so once you hit [or even making a tiny spark around it] the whole gas station went FUBAR. Now apparently hitting a gas pump in a station will only blow up that pump only, and if you stand next to it maybe you will take some damage, but the bastard stand next to you, 1 square away from it will escape completely harmless 8-}

To put it simply, the combat aspect of this game is fun but completely stupid strategy-wise. Too many trouble I don't even bother to list here. Tried to list them in their forum and got a bunch of cheerleaders calling me names zzzz...

Edited by Shuichi Niwa

Well, XEU is a good game, it give me the feeling of "XCOM for non-hardcore players". Or worse, feel kind of like a kid Commander compare to the old powerful badass XCOM Commander of the old days.

Reason : Everything is handed down to your hand.

And if you just listen to them, and pass "checkpoints" the game will progress exactly the same each and everytime. Well, the missions are random, but aside from that the game is like a cute shooter campaign game. Not to mention the combat system is flashy, funy, interesting, and with an elementary-level of strategy needed.

So yeah, XEU is XCOM for kid commanders T_T

Wow! You are right! I never thought about it like that but you are 100% correct! They DO feel like an annoying family that's trying to run your life for you! Haha I feel silly that I didn't notice that before.

I wonder how many of you would have felt about X-COM: Enemy Unknown if it didn't carry the X-COM label. Most complaints are based on the game not being true to the original. I haven't played the original, btw.

I regret not pre-ordering X-COM: EU, since if I buy it now, I"ll miss out on the bonuses. I'm having a good time checking IRC channels and hearing stories about the feats and failures of my or others' X-COM:EU counterpart in their campaigns.

I would not have felt as bad about XCOM: EU if they hadn't made it sound like they were die-hard fans of the original on YouTube. I'm serious. That lead designer guy that did all those videos had me thinking he was going to follow the original's gameplay and mechanics but fix a lot of what was wrong with the first one. I had no idea he meant "fix" as in "remove large parts of the game and dumb it down for console market sales". If they had said "yeah we're going to make a new X-COM game based loosely around some of the concepts in the first one" I would not have been anywhere near as upset over it and I would still have bought it.

As a stand alone game XCOM: EU is entertaining but with little to no replay value. Unfortunately it bears the name XCOM though and all the fans were hoping they finally got it right. They really shouldn't have called it XCOM...

Oh the pre-order stuff is just cosmetic nonsense. Nothing that changes the game itself in any meaningful way.

I would consider calling EU an insult to the name of X-COM, if there weren't much worse games before it to bear that name.

As it stands, I just have to say the name doesn't mean anything anyway, and hasn't since Apocalypse.

By the way, the devs were ridiculously chipper on youtube, which kinda told me all I needed to know about the game. They wanted a little fun arcade that does some homage to the original X-COM. And they did it.

Of course the result is to X-COM: UFO Defense what an Orient watch is to a Rolex Yachtmaster that it takes its looks from.

Wouldn't been that extreme. I would say it's a "modern-time" XCOM-type which will be easier for the new gaming generation to accept compare to the original. I'm not only saying that, I have experienced lots of hardship trying to introduce XCOM to my collagues and university pals. They all said "it's too hardcore". But now with the new XCOM EU they say "it looks great. Really fun and addictive, a bit too hardcore but I can put up with that".

See ?

And maybe, from those who enjoys XCOM EU, there will be people who, have first taken a taste of the tip of the XCOM iceberg, begin to want more. Then they will come here. And here they will be satisfied :D

And so they play Xenonauts happily ever after....

Wouldn't been that extreme.
Calling it an insult? Yeah, that would be.
I would say it's a "modern-time" XCOM-type which will be easier for the new gaming generation to accept compare to the original.

That's just what I said, in other words.

Orient Quartz is a modern-time Rolex-style watch which is easier for the new generation to purchase and maintain compared to the original.

And as for hardcore, ADOM is hardcore. Nethack or Dwarf Fortress are semi-hardcore. X-COM has dated graphics, but it's not really hard, or particularly challenging, it's just a game built like it should be. Ass Effect generation won't switch to it easy, but that's OK, they have Halo. For a PC game, it's really in the middle of the pack as far as challenge goes.