Xenonauts vs Xcom Enemy Unknown

its gonna play like halo wars, or commandos more than it will play like xcom..

Not sure why you are comparing TBS game to RTS games :P Unless Commandos isn't RTS. It looks kind of like Desperados from what pics I've seen... Assuming you are talking about that commando game that I think is sold in gog... Maybe my memory is being wonky.

Looking forward to both (nice to be able to play a alpha version of xenonauts while waiting!!) Firaxis is one of my favorites (next to Goldhawk of course). Xenonauts just reminds me of the fun I had with the early Chris Sawyer games (my prior favorite "indie" programmer).

I hope not many people buy the game.

That's only because it will hopefully go on sale quicker if that's the case and I will be able to afford to pick it up myself :P

The more people who buy the game the more likely decent strategy games will be able to make more of a come back.

If it fails then less people will be willing to risk making anything but an FPS.

More variety is good, even if it isn't the game I hoped for when I saw the title.

Haven't been paying much attention to it but hopefully it will be good in its own right.

It does seem to be so far at least, but its hard to judge games before they are actually released.

BTW, there is something I never realized about original game before hearing about it from XCOM: Enemy Unknown ._. The way panic system words in strategic layer, it seems to be impossible to hold for all 16 countries for whole game, at least on harder difficulties. But same applies to original game in harder difficulties too, only way to prevent aliens from infrillating country is to shoot down all scouts before they reach country's borders and if they make it, they will put massive attack(mainly two battleships, supply ship and scout) at which point you can't anymore stop it from happening even if you shoot em all down.(it just makes it happen slightly slower)

BTW, I didn't know that Russia is final country to be infrillated(sp?) in original game xD Why is that? Its so huge that developers figured out that its impossible to defend so they made it to be final country to lose funding?

BTW, you want another proof that alien bases are in? (SPOILERS: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/spec_operations/New%20Album/SupplyShiplarger.png Thats image from artbook. Supply ships are in the game and they mention alien bases)

Edited by XenoMask

BTW, you want another proof that alien bases are in? (SPOILERS: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa299/spec_operations/New%20Album/SupplyShiplarger.png Thats image from artbook. Supply ships are in the game and they mention alien bases)

GAH! Cheers for the spoiler alert, I have promised (and stuck to my guns thus far) to not watch any more XCOM EU videos, for almost two weeks; the joy of discovering new content in my pre0rder was being rapidly eroded by watching others do so....

There is NOTHING better than that first encounter, whether Alien or new weapon research 'WTF is that???' 'OMG my HE rounds just bounced off it, WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIEEEE!!!'

The turn-based game market definitely needs something big and flashy like XCOM.

Something to get new players interested. Once they are hooked it gets easier to sell similar games.

If you explained turn-based games to a "noob" a year ago, you used 10 and 20 year old games as examples! That's not gonna fly.

Generally those games aren't well known outside of their target area because their themes don't appeal to a western audience.

If they aren't thought to be marketable then there is no translation.

If there is no translation then there is even less interest.

If you are trying to get a new bunch of players interested in a genre then pointing them at some titles with odd themes and in a language they are unlikely to speak (or at best with a laughable translation) is not going to cut it.

There are always exceptions of course.

I would love to get my hands on some of the Carnage Hearts games, preferably with a decent translation :P

I never claimed that no Japanese based game was marketable.

I said that generally they weren't appealing to a western audience.

For every title that gets released and is successful there is probably ten that don't do so well and a hundred that don't even get the port.

If it was otherwise then people wouldn't be able to forget that there were Japanese TBS games.

They would be everywhere.

You got a list of them somewhere so I can look them up? :)

Or any tips on how to find them?

Hmm, well, majority of them are for consoles as Japanese don't do PC gaming much. Still interested?

And there are western ones on consoles, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Gollop) Julian Gollop was involved in making turn based strategy version of Ghost Recon for 3ds for example.

Well I'm going to try the firaxis game as well. probably buying it.

but i just am not holding it in high as regards as xenonauts.

this is just my opinion but any game that gets produced as cross platform (ie making it for ps3 xbox and pc)

usually ends up as a sloppy pc game mainly because they have to keep the game simple for console audiences. (you cant have 50 commands, on a keyboard, then expect them to be able to have all 50 on a 12 button controller. so we get chopped down)

Demo doesn't really seem to be good for judging the game though, I mean I've seen preview playing videos and they were more interesting. Demo itself was mainly tutorial and second demo mission was showcasing three alien species. It for example doesn't really have any strategic layer gameplay.

So yeah, I guess its for hooking in TBS newbies in methods of "Hey, this game is cool, buy it!" or something like that.*

Just played the Xcom EU Demo on steam and it felt... weird.

It felt more like the ALtar game stuff and the 3d camera seemed to get in the way of the mechanics. Only a demo but I will see.

Was very clean and moved ok, like shimmy up drain pipes and storm windows. However I detested the UI. Its one ugly and limited thing.

The base does look very pretty, though I was expecting to zoom in and explore.. and couldn't :(

Demo doesn't really seem to be good for judging the game though, .*

The original xcom demo on a 3.5 inch floppy and was horrible (very short and difficult with no directions) ...although for some reason, i was hooked and bought the game as soon as it came out... something about the eerie sounds during the "hidden movement" screen...

Demo doesn't show strategic layer, doesn't allow you to built facilities,(oh and doesn't allow you to check base facilities besides barracks and lab) has two missions of which one is tutorial and other is showcasing three alien species AND its set on easy difficult. How do I know last one? I wouldn't call that good representative.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?139306-How-to-change-Difficulty-Settings-here This. Its set to 0 and 3 seems to be impossible.

(Apparently its much more interesting when you put difficulty higher on second mission xD Gee, I wonder why)

Also, I haven't played original xcom's demo, but original's game missions have that feeling of mystery that hooks you in. Thats fun thing with older simpler games, they have that air around them that hooks you in. You rarely get that feeling in AAA games or even indie games.(for example, I don't get exact same feeling from Xenonauts either)

Edited by XenoMask