Gauddlike is now a moderator!

As our existing moderator (Sathra) hasn't been very active for some time now, I'm appointing a second one to help us fight the spambots and generally keep the forums clean in my absence. I have chosen Gauddlike because he's been posting here right from the very start of the project nearly three years back and therefore should have a pretty good handle on the way things should be run.

Thanks for giving us your time, Gauddlike, and welcome to your new role!

I'm quite pro-Norman. One of my aunts got bored (I assume because she was old and doesn't understand the wonders of the internet) and traced our family lineage right the way back to the Norman conquest of Britain.

Turns out, I'm a direct decendant of William the Conquerer's sister! Which is pretty awesome, if you disregard the fact that probably about 10% of Britain can say the same given that he lived a thousand years ago. And the fact he allegedly looked like this.

I'm quite pro-Norman. One of my aunts got bored (I assume because she was old and doesn't understand the wonders of the internet) and traced our family lineage right the way back to the Norman conquest of Britain.

Turns out, I'm a direct decendant of William the Conquerer's sister! Which is pretty awesome, if you disregard the fact that probably about 10% of Britain can say the same given that he lived a thousand years ago. And the fact he allegedly looked like this.

You trying to say you're part Mer-man Chris?

You must hate Ivanhoe then. :P

WtC isn't bad looking, can you spot any family resemblance? But perhaps his painters took liberties as was common practice at the time.

William_Conqueror.jpg

I dunno Chris, if you just grew a moustache...

williami.jpg?w=470

Tell me, have you ever felt the urge to depose the queen?

Edited by Jean-Luc

I don't think those paintings are from the days of William the Conqueror somehow - I remember doing a class on sculpture and art history and being shocked at how late in human history people actually learned to draw and paint realistically. It was roughly around the Renaissance, or something like that. People literally used to spend their entire lives being "artists" and never come up with anything that looked remotely convincing (a mildly depressing thought).

I guess it says a lot about the accumulated knowledge of humankind. Almost anyone can spend a few years being taught how to draw and paint properly these days and by the end they'll be able to come up with something realistic. But even if someone was an artistic genuis, if they were born a thousand years ago they wouldn't be able to do it even with an entire lifetime spent experimenting and practicing. Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed.

Aaaand....yeah, well done Gauddlike!

Damn pesky alien hordes swarming in our atmosphere! Release the Gauddlike head! Its giant floating head will force them back up into orbit!

<quote> remember doing a class on sculpture and art history and being shocked at how late in human history people actually learned to draw and paint realistically. </quote>

So, bear this in mind if Chris expands the options to get portraits in the game for $50 a shot. They may look like stick people, but remember just how recently people learned how to draw at all.

So Gauddlike becomes godlike? Tell me, sir, would you by any chance by psychic? I'd use that fancier word that starts with C-something, but I can't spell it.

Anyways, congratulations to you, old dog! Because surely, you must be one of the oldest dogs in the kennel if you've been around for three years, no?