Suggestions from a new player

Dilettante

Just started playing today.

Some suggestions:

* All too often, my interceptor will reach a UFO over water. I like the inclusion of the option to tail it until it reaches land, but very often this does not happen - my interceptor runs out of fuel first and is forced back to base. It would be nice if, just before this happens, the interceptor asks for permission to engage the UFO over water again. I know I would much rather sink a UFO than let one go free, especially in the early game when I don't have multiple bases.

* I would really like it if my troops were arranged in transports in numerical order. All too often, My #1 soldier (the soldier assigned to the number 1) starts in its center, unable to move until someone else gets off. Since I like to pair up my troops to send them around a zone, this costs me a turn or so to get them organized and is always irritating.

* I'm not sure if this will be popular, but I tend to pick a single squad and play with them as much as possible. To this end, I would personally like the option to have a wounded crew member stay assigned to a Chinook, so that he or she is automatically attached to it again when he or she finishes healing. Otherwise I tend to lose track of them.

* I am impressed by the option to do evasive manuevers in aerial combat, but when you have multiple interceptors in the air, it's not nearly as useful. A "squadron" set of buttons (to make all planes do a barrel roll or disengage at the same time) would be a nice add-on.

* It would be nice to have a warning icon that tells you when you have unused scientists and at least one technology to research. Less so for technicians, but still useful. Another option (or a complementary one) would be to have the option to 'go to laboratory' after you received a research report, so you could automatically assign scientists. A third option would be to allow the AI to auto-assign projects to scientists who are doing nothing while there are projects to research.

* I almost always have my troops on "snap shot" mode; it would be nice to have the ability to set this to default when you arrive on a mission - say, in the "personnel" screen where you can also choose their equipment and what they have in their hand when they start.

* I can't seem to save over an old save during a mission - this would be nice.

* It's a bit hard to figure out how to use medpacks. My first time, I ended up hitting my squadmate with it, causing more bleeding wounds. This really shouldn't be the case!!

* Not exactly a suggestion or feature request, but my favourite part of X-Com was the storyline. The most disappointing part of this alpha build is the missing text in the encyclopedia and when starting research projects. Surely they can't take too long to add in? Oh, well. To make up for this complaint, my favourite new little feature is the satisfying "crunch" you get when the Hunter drives through an obstacle.

1. I'll just point out that air combat itself takes fuel (more than just flying around). It would be hard for the game to know how much fuel you're going to need to finish a dogfight, though I suppose it could just guess.

2. Me too. More to the point, I'd like to be able to easily number my troops in the Chinook layout so I can have (for example) members 1-4 on one side and 5-8 on the other, so that it's easier to use them as a fire team.

3. I could be wrong, but I think it would be a lot of work to set things up like that.

4. Can't you already do this by hitting an evade key with all the planes selected?

5. The original xcom did that, and I generally liked it.

6. Anything that results in combat being less fiddly is good in my book. I don't like having to make the same changes time and again, which is why I really appreciate the crew loadout screen in base.

Final note: I read that medpacks are currently bugged. That's why you're causing wounds with them.

If you can't overwrite, you might be playing iron man mode. I also think you should be able to overwrite whenever you want when playing in this manner. It is supposed to save when you quit, but that didn't always work for me.

As mentioned before, dogfights take more fuel than tailing, so it would be difficult to know when to offer the 2nd chance. I believe you can click on the interceptor and tell them to engage.

The original game would take you to the research screen whenever you finished a project, unless it bugged out, which was ~1/3 of the time. Sometimes I didn't get research reports at all. I like the idea of automatically bringing it up in Xenonauts, or even better, including a button on the research results screen labeled, "go to research."

As far as warnings for not having your civilians working, though, I think that that might get annoying, especially if you're at a point where you have nothing to research / manufacture. And automating it would detract from the atmosphere of the game.

Edited by Mathalor

4. Can't you already do this by hitting an evade key with all the planes selected?
I wasn't aware I could do that. That would solve the problem, yes.
As far as warnings for not having your civilians working, though, I think that that might get annoying, especially if you're at a point where you have nothing to research / manufacture. And automating it would detract from the atmosphere of the game.
I was thinking of an icon appearing that, when clicked on, takes you to the research screen - and that would only appear if three things were true: you had unassigned scientists, empty lab space, and at least one research project that is not being worked on already. That would prevent the icon from appearing all the time.

* I would really like it if my troops were arranged in transports in numerical order. All too often, My #1 soldier (the soldier assigned to the number 1) starts in its center, unable to move until someone else gets off. Since I like to pair up my troops to send them around a zone, this costs me a turn or so to get them organized and is always irritating.

I think you can choose the layout of your troops inside the Chinook; try going to the screen for arming Interceptors and clicking on the Chinook there. I know the option exists but can't exactly remember where it is...