[v17.9 Ground] Burst fire not used during reaction fire even by MG.

When a unit reaction fires it does not use burst fire even if that is only type of fire a unit is capable of (M-60) and it has enough AP. Max_Caine and I have never seen any type of unit use burst fire during reaction fire and Max says that even the MG only fires singles. Unfortunately this is a very difficult thing to test with the current state of the AI. I'm sure Goldhawk can setup a good test of this. Also, no one seems to know how or if you can set what type of reaction fire a unit will use if it has several options (lots of AP.)

Edited by StellarRat

I can confirm this, I rarely use the MG, but I brought it out on some trial runs on a new game. A Sibby darted down a row of crates into the waiting Barrel of my MGer. While the one round fired was enough for the injured greenback, it was still odd to see only one round from the weapon.

Yep, I can confirm this bug too. The same happens if the light drone reaction fires too. A single shot, with no sound effect and the animation also seems, rushed, somehow. Can't quite explain what I mean there but it's as if the game's not processing the action correctly and so the camera doesn't track the projectile in the right way.

• 6 months later...

Personally, I think the reaction fire from an LMG should be a burst. Isn't that what it's designed for? Plus, it could suppress the alien right then and there (although, having him stop out in the open and crouch isn't the most realistic of ideas, and would probably be somewhat op).

Personally, I think the reaction fire from an LMG should be a burst. Isn't that what it's designed for? Plus, it could suppress the alien right then and there (although, having him stop out in the open and crouch isn't the most realistic of ideas, and would probably be somewhat op).
From my friends with military experience, "It takes a super good/experienced LMG gunner to intentionally fire LESS than three rounds." And from my perspective it's silly not to let them fire a full burst. If there was ever a good time to fire multiple rounds it would be when the target is moving.

Having tested this myself, the "burst fire as singles" is endemic to all burst fire type weapons as far as lasers.
So, it still needs to be fixed. Can one of the Admins change the title to make it a 17.91 bug? Gauddlike? I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP! This issue still exists in V18 hotfix 1 Standalone (and it's not mentioned as fixed in hotfix 2). I can prepare all my soldiers with full TU's, magazines and set them for burst and they still fire only one single shot per turn for their reaction fire. Concerns both rifles and carbines. I don't remember if I've had any machinegun reaction fire but I don't think so.

Edited by Shima