downloading this game is the first time I've come across desura, I've never been a fan of having to be connected to the internet to play single player games but I guess that's a sign of the times. That being said it seems I can't get it to run the game again and I find that half the time i don't know if it's a problem with the game or that there is a problem with desura.

what's your thoughts guys ??

To start with you don't need to be connected to Desura to play the game.

You don't even need Desura running to play it.

Go to the Xenonauts folder and create a shortcut to the exe there and use that.

You only need to run Desura when you want to use it for updates.

Desura works pretty well for me the majority of the time, I have also found a few projects on there that I have really enjoyed and would otherwise not have heard about.

It does struggle with Xenonauts updates sometimes but I have put that down to the size of the project and the number of tiny little files it needs to check every time.

I suppose my answer to your question then is that yes Desura is good at what is supposed to do, even though it has its problems.

I played a game called Naev for a while I picked up from Desura.

Think it was free.

Top down 2D space trading/combat game with multiple configurable ships.

That was quite fun if you like that sort of game.

I am short of funds so haven't bought any for a while.

Played and enjoyed the Pitman demo and the demo of I Shall Remain though.

Naev is quite a nice game like escape velocity or flatspace......

I'm not sure if you noticed but it has an interesting option, uncompressed saves, instead of saving in a hard to modify file, it saves in a xml or txt file, not sure which right now, where you can edit your standing with factions, money, ship type you have (you can give yourself one of the faction customised ships easily this way) and weapons mounted.

Anyway, I'm rambling, I have severe problems with Desura on every update of Xenonauts, it takes 2-3 hours to update, and no I'm no exaggerating.... but with UFO AI it works well as well as with Naev.

Desura is pretty good, problem is that its mainly for indie games and majority of indie games are smaller than Xenonauts, so Xenonauts updates(whenver it is large one) take a long time to complete because it keeps failing :P

Oh wait, you are asking recommendations? Get Unepic. Its great. Maybe also NEO Scavenger, but I haven't bought that yet, it just looks interesting.

Well, Desura is smaller than Steam after all :P

(But yeah, I'll be so happy if you check out Unepic that I will actually thank you xD I've been trying to promote that game because I find it unfair that some great games are overlooked :P)

I found unepic through steams greenlight function. also found a game called Underrail and steam marines there that seems fun. (both are turn based. underrail is isometric and steammarines is squad based.)

Edited by Gorlom

I found unepic through steams greenlight function. also found a game called underrail and steam marines there that seems fun. (both are turn based games, underrail is isometric and steammarines is squad based.)

Yeah, I found Underrail through Steam Greelight too. Same about Neo Scavenger.

Check out NEO Scavenger btw, I bought it from Desura, its in beta currently and it does need little work but its pretty good game. My only problem with it is that its kind of impossibly hard at beginning unless you get lucky. Or maybe I just need to practice my scavenging/post apocalyptic survival skills :P

Hmm, yeah. Project Zomboid is available in Desura too btw(its been there rather long time, good game in its alpha).

Anyway, NEO Scavenger has demo now that I think of it.. I just usually buy games rather than try demo unless I'm unsure xD Anyway, not sure if Zomboid had demo, but its great game despite being in alpha.

Well to be honest, its tutorial :P You can skip it by being cruel and using pillow on your wife(Reaaally cruel thing to do :P), you can forget to close oven and cause fire, you can run off after looter comes, or you can sneak behind looter and hit him in head with hammer quickly.(check from youtube, I think it involved staying in another room and when looter starts talking to your wife, sneaking behind the room then running fast him and hitting him)

Anyway, I guess demo only has tutorial? Actual alpha has sort of free play mode along with tutorial and they plan to add more story mode stuff in future.