Random "Hidden Movement" screens

stokoss

I don't know if this is possible (programming, resource consumption etc) but I would like to see more "Hidden Movement" screens. I really like the existing one, but after a few battles it gets annoying, especially since my troops have evolved into moving killing machines!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

It would be great if there was a screen (or more) for each tileset so it could actually reflect the situation for each combat mission. For example, a screen inspired by the movie "The Thing" for arctic missions, something urban or industrial for Terror or crashsites in populated areas, a digital remake of the screen from the original x-com (or something close to it if there are any copyright matters.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ) and so on.

And to go as step further, maybe it could be manipulated by modding an xml file, thus letting the user choose what ever he wants to watch while alien scum terrorize and kill innocent civilians!!!!

Anyhow, Thank you devs for this, already, great game!

It would be easier to have the game look in a folder contained within each tileset for hidden movement screens.

The devs would need to make a small change then but modders could add any images they wanted to those folders to customise it either globally (add the image to all tileset folders) or to a specific tileset.

Short of a major improvement, I would prefer no hidden movement screen, with a 'WAITING' bar at the top and bottom of the screen to show the non-player turns are running. Instead, I think having the camera focus on the movement location, regardless of visibility, as it used to do early on, would be better; it incorporates sound based detection without it having to fit into the actual detection system. Alternatively, the camera could go into a free mode, and slide to the furthest visible tile; it makes the journey only given a long enough sound, so if the sound cuts short, then camera doesn't it make it all the way. Taking it further, the camera could move from the player units only if something making noise is within noise range, so the player doesn't get audio cues from across the map.

Short of a major improvement, I would prefer no hidden movement screen, with a 'WAITING' bar at the top and bottom of the screen to show the non-player turns are running. Instead, I think having the camera focus on the movement location, regardless of visibility, as it used to do early on, would be better; it incorporates sound based detection without it having to fit into the actual detection system. Alternatively, the camera could go into a free mode, and slide to the furthest visible tile; it makes the journey only given a long enough sound, so if the sound cuts short, then camera doesn't it make it all the way. Taking it further, the camera could move from the player units only if something making noise is within noise range, so the player doesn't get audio cues from across the map.

If I understand your idea, it's something like original UFO. Isn't it?

I think it's better that way

Art is expensive. We do need to look at options to customise the speed and contents (ie what it shows) of the hidden movement screen though.

True, but having the game pluck the pic from a folder gives others the chance to use their own art

(and certainly not copyrighted art belonging to others) to improve the quality of the game in this area.

Maybe let fans create some? Bound to be some guys here with skills.

Legal issues most likely. I think I recall Chris saying something about this on Reddit. That you need to have a contract that says the art created for Xenonauts belongs to Goldhawk interactive and not the artists they hired or there would be trouble.

Regarding hidden movement I would rather it wouldn't be fullscreen, or just outright having the choice to not have it (And camera not following enemy movement as it currently does). I find it extremely annoying having my soldiers killed during Hidden movement without seeing what is going on, even if I can't see the enemy I should be able to see the shot coming at him.

Regarding hidden movement I would rather it wouldn't be fullscreen, or just outright having the choice to not have it (And camera not following enemy movement as it currently does). I find it extremely annoying having my soldiers killed during Hidden movement without seeing what is going on, even if I can't see the enemy I should be able to see the shot coming at him.

+1

what i would like to see is during the main loading screen for the mission is some kind of moving loading symbol or bar(prefered)

this would confort me or give me idea how long (even if not exact) till mission is loading and that nothing has happened such as a game crash. also once the chinook page is up it is missing the simple instruction(for people of lower intelegence) *click to continue*

as far as the art allowing a file in which the game can slideshow from allowing addition pics to added sounds great.

the other 2 options could be the game centers on the soldier nearest the movement(allowing you to know there is something moving nearest to sgt jones but not exactly where) this could help with locating the last alien giving you a generic hot/cold indicator.

thus spreading out your men the movement centers on nearest man to the event

the last option i see is setting up a submission page for original art(only) this would be simply stating that (for legality)

*uploading your original pic(with signature) and clicking this box gives goldhawk the right to use,display,alter the art for in game use and is not responsible nor does it want reproductions. the art supplied was produced by this person and shall recieve no monetary gain from the art.

in addition its easy to get people to supply free art just offer (mabey one of the extra kickstarter prizes) for the winners as well as their art being used for loading pages/movement pages within the game. :)

*although most of the art recieved will be sub-standarded theres bound to be a few good submissions and there would be no legal strings as the page would state the arts use.

Edited by donald007duck