v25.2 some misc thoughts

Hi there, first of all I just want to say that I'm very impressed with X2 so far. While playing for the first 2-3 hrs I really had to slow down and think hard about suggestions because there are no major problems! Here's a list of some pretty niche things. I'm sure as I play more I will have more to say about the core systems and progression

Visuals/animations

• Huge step up from X1, they really add so much. 
  • The wobbly tracer behind shots looks a bit funny. It does make them much easier to follow but I don't think the wobbling is needed- just the tracer is enough
  • A lot of the text is white on a black background (that includes this forum haha). Not many games accommodate for this, but this text+background combination is super hard to read for people with astigmatism. Here's an article talking about it: https://www.levelaccess.com/blog/accessibility-for-people-with-astigmatism

UI/UX

• Excellent, everything is where I expect it to be and is instantly intuitive as an X1 player. It should be very clear even for newbies I think
  • Tooltips are very helpful
  • I was really surprised when the demo charge detonated instantly after being thrown, really looks like a remote activated sort of thing
  • Same problem with grenades as X1- is the green area around the nade the area of effect or where it might land? Confusing for newbies
  • Not sure how to unreserve TUs
  • Start production button in the Workshop menu added one unit to the construction queue instead of starting production like I thought it would

Tactical layer

• Well done, super tense and pacing is on point (veteran difficulty)
  • I feel like bleeding injuries happen too often. 
  • We can't zoom out? Nooooooooooooo I feel like the current view is too zoomed in

Narrative

• Again, very nicely done. All the research reports I've seen so far are well written
  • The intro about the lead scientist I thought was pretty compelling
  • I was relieved to find out quickly that the Cleaners aren't just regular humans supporting the aliens- FiraXCOM bored me to death with that idea
  • The Cleaners office raid felt weird, attacking an office building in broad daylight. Where are the local cops? Have we been cleared by the government or are we basically committing a terrorist attack? haha

Performance (GTX 1660, Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram)

• Stutters happen often, usually when spotting new enemies or being spotted
Edited by andy079
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, andy079 said:

Hi there, first of all I just want to say that I'm very impressed with X2 so far. While playing for the first 2-3 hrs I really had to slow down and think hard about suggestions because there are no major problems! Here's a list of some pretty niche things. I'm sure as I play more I will have more to say about the core systems and progression

Visuals/animations

• Huge step up from X1, they really add so much. 
  • The wobbly tracer behind shots looks a bit funny. It does make them much easier to follow but I don't think the wobbling is needed- just the tracer is enough
  • A lot of the text is white on a black background (that includes this forum haha). Not many games accommodate for this, but this text+background combination is super hard to read for people with astigmatism. Here's an article talking about it: https://www.levelaccess.com/blog/accessibility-for-people-with-astigmatism

UI/UX

• Excellent, everything is where I expect it to be and is instantly intuitive as an X1 player. It should be very clear even for newbies I think
  • Tooltips are very helpful
  • I was really surprised when the demo charge detonated instantly after being thrown, really looks like a remote activated sort of thing
  • Same problem with grenades as X1- is the green area around the nade the area of effect or where it might land? Confusing for newbies
  • Not sure how to unreserve TUs
  • Start production button in the Workshop menu added one unit to the construction queue instead of starting production like I thought it would

Tactical layer

• Well done, super tense and pacing is on point (veteran difficulty)
  • I feel like bleeding injuries happen too often. 
  • We can't zoom out? Nooooooooooooo I feel like the current view is too zoomed in

Narrative

• Again, very nicely done. All the research reports I've seen so far are well written
  • The intro about the lead scientist I thought was pretty compelling
  • I was relieved to find out quickly that the Cleaners aren't just regular humans supporting the aliens- FiraXCOM bored me to death with that idea
  • The Cleaners office raid felt weird, attacking an office building in broad daylight. Where are the local cops? Have we been cleared by the government or are we basically committing a terrorist attack? haha

Performance (GTX 1660, Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram)

• Stutters happen often, usually when spotting new enemies or being spotted

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate you writing it all out. It's certainly nice to know that the game is making a good first impression on so many people, frankly it comes as a bit of a relief after so many years of development!

Just wondering what you mean by "Start production button in the Workshop menu added one unit to the construction queue instead of starting production like I thought it would" - how did you expect the UI element to act instead? Did you mean you felt it should have put the new project at the top of the queue?

Hi Chris, for a second I thought we had to first select the number of units we wanted, and then press "start production" to actually begin manufacturing them.

I wouldn't really worry about it, it was just a dumb brain fart. 

Edited by andy079
  • Like 1

To add 4 gripes/suggestions on the new build in this post.

1) I see now that the sniper's laser rifle only havs 3 shots per clip instead of 5.  There are a lot of changes I don't mind trying out, but please don't limit my soldier's ammo anymore than they already were (yeah, I know the original sniper rifle had more than the 5 shots it has now, but I was willing to overlook that bit).

2) I just tried out a Mars Rover for the first time in ages.  It lasted through 2 missions and a base defense.  Then on the 3rd mission, 3 Sebillians picked it apart on the same turn, one at short range and 2 at mid range.  Ouch.  Double ouch after seeing how much it costs to repair it.   I'm right near the end of month 2 and North America is at 80 panic level (with a couple others in the 70s) so that's not going to be getting repaired any time in the near future.

3) Also regarding Vehicles, I noticed there's a $200K option to convert vehicle weapons to laser weapons, but I don't even see a laser available to be built for my aircraft yet ... do I really have to build an accelerated cannon before I get an option to build a laser cannon?  Could we get an option to convert standard cannons to accelerated/laser/plasma for a set cost instead of having to build individual ones for each aircraft?  I dunno, I'm still refusing to sell anything at all based on the diminishing returns aspect, but at the start of Month 3 that's going to have to change.  Feel like there's an overwhelming amount of expenses in addition to maintaining a decent research and engineering line (currently at 19 soldiers, 19 scientists, 19 engineers) with 4 Living Quarters, 3 Labs and 3 Workshops).

4) Please consider reducing the month operating costs of the Access Lifts.  Most everything else seems manageable as far as the building upkeep goes, but at $125K per Access Lift, it is almost as much to maintain as everything else in your base, combined.  

Don't think I'm not enjoying some of the changes ... this extra difficulty with multiple attacks in areas I can't get to with only 2 planes and one base on Month 2 is definitely challenging here on Veteran Difficulty, but I think I might still be able to swing those back to my favor when I scrag the Cleaners and get some rudimentary air bases going in those spots .... provided my horde of alien mag weapons and alien dead bodies is vast enough when I flood the market ... 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, andy079 said:

Just wanted to express my consent on that. Although I don't think I suffer from astigmatism, I too have no easy time reading white on black as it makes me a bit fuzzy. Black on white looks and feels a lot better to me.

I don't even see a laser available to be built for my aircraft yet ...

There was an info on that in some update notes: the aircraft laser cannon was taken out of the game when the gauss technology was brought back, if I remember correctly.

The ingame text on the heavy laser technology has yet to be updated accordingly, as it still mentiones laser cannon for aircraft.

Edited by Flo
added laser info