General V8+ Suggestions for improvement.

Sathra

For this reason I created the site Xenonauts Brazil. Perhaps the lack of advertising in our country, which isn't an error, due to a limitation of the project, the game is still not well known. But this will change. Well ... I will promote the game here, and it will be a success by itself, but would like to make some suggestions to make him more attractive to Brazilians.

Not to veer off into off-topic territory, but I must tip my non-proverbial hat to you and your dedication. That's a nifty site you have there!

Stik10 - nice work with the site. Hopefully there'll be a translation into plenty of languages around release, including Portuguese. I can't commit firmly to that yet though.

Yes, I know. But it would facilitate, for example, to create a mod where the language would change the game? This would be done by fans, not you. What about the possibility of appearing a Brazilian soldier, and coming from a Brazilian force. There is that possibility?

Exemple:

Name: Ricardo Pinheiro

Nation: Brazil

Previous Regiment: BOPE

Combat Experience: None

Stik10: if you look at the modding section Pinetree has added Australian and New Zealand soldier pack .

If you poke around a bit you can probably learn how to do it yourself. As i understand it adding soldiers is comparably easy to say makeing maps or changeing the lazer projectile animation

Interesting. I'll find out how to make a mod and these include the Brazilian soldiers. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm currently investigating the possibility of including Israeli soldiers, as they would have been some of the more experienced around that time as well as US allies and thus ideal candidates for the Xenonauts, and it seems fairly easy to do. You should definitely be able to put Brazilian soldiers in!

Something I'd like to be examined as the game proceeds forward are the AP costs of shooting, as well as shooting in general. The chaotic feel of X-COM firefights isn't quite present in Xenonauts at the moment, as it's very difficult to fire more than one shot per soldier in a round and burst fire is hideously expensive AP-wise.

While this might be a conscious design decision, I'd urge that it be examined again; a lot of the fun in X-COM, at least for me, was watching tons of bullets and lasers fly all over the map.

Edited by TheTuninator

I think it was here that I must write small problems, so here is some of them

1 when I try to save the game, I can not save under the same name unless I write it again then it ask if its ok to over write and then I press ok and then its save the game.

Can it be change, so if you double click on a save game it ask if its ok to over write it, and then you press ok and then it save the game

2 in the soldier inventory screen on the base you can chose more than one at a time so you can give them the same equipment all together, this is just a small but annoying thing for me.

this could also be useful when you are buying a new base and must equip all you new soldiers :D

3 When i am in tactical combat on a night mission, then a have 2 flare on the soldiers as standard

But my weapon (assault rifle) is as secondary weapon so when a put a flare in the hand and then throw it, my weapon is gone:(

Edited by aliencrush

Tunilator havent i redirected you to quartermasters mod in the modding section once already? =P

Yup! ;)

It actually inspired me to start modding the weapon values myself to achieve the result I wanted. I just wanted to make a post in the official improvements thread for Chris' ease of reading, as I imagine it's much better for him if he can just scroll through one thread instead of trying to keep up with every thread on the board.

Heya all!

After yet another X-Com gaming extravaganza awhile back, I stumbled upon Xenonauts again and finally caved in and preordered the game. Been playing it for a while now and have enjoyed the experience.

Anyways, there's couple of minor things that I've battled with from the get-go. I apologize if all of these have been noted/addressed.

First being the fact that hotkeys should be on/off rather than 'on'. For example, pressing I brings up inventory, but pressing it again doesn't close it. I think it might have been mentioned a couple of times in the previous suggestion topics. I've also had some issues with remembering that right mouse button isn't a universal cancel. For example, quite a few times I've tried to cancel aiming by pressing the button but instead, have wounded up cycling through snap/auto/aim etc.

I wouldn't mind if the action to shoot would still be active even after I've taken a shot, so I wouldn't have to click the gun and the alien again (and to get out of it, going back to the previous point, wouldn't mind clicking the right mouse button to cancel the action and choose a new one if the need be).

Clicking at targets who are in a corner, behind some cover or generally somewhere in between things to aim at (walls/etc) can at times be a bit difficult. Same with selecting troopers who are only partially visible.

During night missions I had some difficulties with navigating through the stairs. I moved a guy upstairs and had a hard time getting him down from there, as the line of sight/fog of war didn't reveal the stairs nor anything from the room where the stairs headed. In a way, this happens during day time missions as well; if there's an opening in the floor (ie. stairs) and you issue the move order, the guy should move to the stairs even if I don't adjust the view from level 2 to level 1.

After ground combat, the world time is moving but it takes a handful of seconds to load the map graphics. A tad confusing, but might be a hardware issue.

And finally, the air to air combat took a bit to figure out properly.

All in all. The game is indeed very promising, even if my experience has been a bit superficial thus far. Can't wait to see it evolve.

Hmm, the Inventory hotkey not getting out of the inventory screen is probably a bug I think. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that either, which is odd.

You shouldn't have to click on the weapon to start shooting mode on an alien either, it'll do it automatically when you mouseover the alien. Clicking on the weapon opens 'manual aim' mode, which allows you to target sections of terrain as well, which might account for the difficulty with targetting enemies.

To begin with I am just passing by, so if my opinion is repeating someones else already - feel free to ignore it. And I am not a native english speaker so probably this will be somewhat weird. Anyway.

Recently replayed X-Com, found this wonderful and well-promising remake. Everything looks fine except for two things.

The first thing is the colour of jumpsuits. Blue. Okay. Obviously no country is ready for everything and any invasion by aliens, zombies or demons will be dealt with army or special forces. Blue jumpsuits.

The second things is aliens. What I did see already looked like humanoids in strange costumes. Probably you will change that and by itself this problem is not that bad (but still, aliens must be ... well... alien, horrifying, disgusting, awful).

What am I implying? When I played that released build I had some strange feeling. It took me a while to understand what is wrong. Blue jumpsuits, shotguns, transport copter, guys in strange masquerade suits - its a special operation against bank robbers. I can't shake this feeling off. Like I am some kind of rainbow six squad dealing with insane addicted perverts armed with experimental weapons.

All I want is the freedom of choice in colours. It is not affecting gameplay mechanics anyway, since you are fighting on tiny maps. Even three colours of jimpsuits will be enough - gray, white, light-brown.

Personal opinion.

Hector considering the way the graphics work with the sprites it will be very timeconsuming to make reskins / change colours. (there's like or 10 000 sprites for all the armor and weapon combinations or something.)

You can modd that yourself if you really REALLY want it. But the developers has more important things to spend their time on.

What am I implying? When I played that released build I had some strange feeling. It took me a while to understand what is wrong. Blue jumpsuits, shotguns, transport copter, guys in strange masquerade suits - its a special operation against bank robbers. I can't shake this feeling off. Like I am some kind of rainbow six squad dealing with insane addicted perverts armed with experimental weapons.

Ok so

- blue jumpsuits = what's wrong with this? It's to make them stand out from the map (otherwise players might lose their own men), and blue is a colur that goes with almost anything. Especially navy blue. So what exactly is your gripe here? Is it you wish they were in camo, or just not blue?

- shotguns = so what's wrong with more weapon types?

- transport chopper = it is set in the 1970s, we didn't have VTOL fixed wing aircraft then I don't believe

- aliens = are not sectoids. I realise you are probably harking back to the original, but this is not a sequel, and so the Aliens have a different spin on them. There will be other alien types too, don't worry

Heh. That's certainly an interesting spin on things. When the other alien races turn up and you play on other tilesets I'm sure the feeling will go away. But changing the basic suit colour would be a lot of effort I'm afraid and we've got better things to spend time on, like the AI or the UI etc.

I don't really see the problem with blue jumpsuits; it fits right in to the Cold War atmosphere for me.

I can understand why someone might find Xenonauts to have a bit more of a "tactical" feel due to the realism of its weaponry and vehicles, as opposed to the vaguely sci-fi equipment of X-COM, but I like that personally; it makes the game feel much more grounded in realism and makes the contrast between humanity and our opponents that much starker.

But changing the basic suit colour would be a lot of effort I'm afraid and we've got better things to spend time on, like the AI or the UI etc.
I don't think the blue needs changing (I don't get the SWAT vibe), but I think it should be fairly easy to change if you wanted to mod it.

I haven't had a chance to try the newer builds in a while, I think the one I currently have is from sometime around september last year, but I had a quick go at reskinning the basic suit colour a while back and it seemed fairly easy.

The suit colour is unique in the build I have (this might change with exotic weapons and whatnot), but in its present state its fairly easy to remap to a different colour while retaining all the shading/skin/weapons. I spent a couple minutes changing one sprite to test, but if you spent a little longer making sure you had the right colour remapping, so you weren't losing any detail, then ran a batch job across the folders it shouldn't take very long. Of course it's still going to be a bit of hack ... but if it really bothers you it seems easy enough to mod :)

reskin.jpg

reskin.jpg

reskin.jpg.5af9663be8bb7c0e8732b169a61dc

Hi all, sorry for changing current topic.

i found that when i google-image-search keyword "xenonauts geoscape", 2 version of geoscape came out, one with the Philippines, and one without.

and i've updated the game to v8.9 last night, noted that the Philippines still not yet included.

well, i did highlighted this issue back in v8.2 though ...

hopes the development team will put efforts on refining the geoscape as detailed as possible. Otherwise, omitting one of the major island of the earth surface will surely an embarrassing moment in indies history.

Apologies if this was already posted...

Anyway, so after downloading and playing version 8.9 (whatever the most recent one is) there are two main things that I would like to see that should be easy to do:

A way to save TUs (is that how they're called?) for things other than snapshot and autoshot.

For example instead of having 2 buttons like now, simply make it that if you right click instead of left click a button you save time to perform that action (specifically to kneel and snapshot at the end of every turn, but whatever else you can think of).

The second thing is along the same lines.

A way to make it so your selection to save time for something is applied automatically every round instead of having to do it all over for everybody every turn.

For example you could hold down shift (or alt or strg, whatever) and that would make it so you save TUs for this particular action every turn for the rest of the mission.

regards

Davoren

Edited by Davoren