General V8+ Suggestions for improvement.

Sathra

• 2 weeks later...

Throwing my two cents here, as I have not found a better place for it:

I have noticed that you cannot re-arm interceptors when they are under repairs, and when they are fully repaired there is no re-arming time. I would be cool if missile loadout change could take at least 5 or 10 minutes.

Like the JA2 style aiming interface, dislike that there is no indicator when one cant aim any better. Very annoying to go through the list twice just because i want to aim better.
How about a little Battlefield 2-series-style "rose" around the crosshairs cursor when you've clicked on a target fire upon? When you point your cursor on what you want to attack, you can move your cursor left for snapshot, up for auto-shot, right for aimed shot, and down for "deselect target". Would be a very smooth and easy way to engage enemies, I think. Move the mouse far enough in one direction and you choose that action.

Like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-E7TLA6WY3qM/TdWobej4wfI/AAAAAAAAAI8/zpN6ND3Ff98/s1600/commo%20rose.png

move your cursor left for snapshot, up for auto-shot, right for aimed shot, and down for "deselect target". Would be a very smooth and easy way to engage enemies, I think.

None of those modes really exist for this game, they are x-com fire modes.

Xenonauts has multiple levels of aimed fire for some weapons.

I think it would be easier just to allow movement both ways through the list.

I would also suggest that the highest aim mode you can use is coloured yellow.

That would stop you from needing to click to the next mode just to see if you can use it or not.

Modes you cannot use are already coloured red so it seems the next logical step.

Easiest way off the top of my head would be one click to target, mousewheel changes the aim mode then click again to confirm.

I know clicking twice to shoot wasn't popular when this was discussed previously but that is one most basic option.

I would prefer the mouse wheel to adjust aim mode while mousing over an enemy then click once to fire personally.

Fog of war usually refers to the grey that covers known areas while shroud refers to the black out over unknown areas.

It makes sense that once you uncover an area it will fog out rather than become shrouded again.

It was mentioned in another thread (or earlier in this one, who knows) and I think that is how it is supposed to work.

Hmm, you shouldn't have to click to initialize Gauddlike's weapon option actually. If the weapon mode pops up with a cursor over and mouse wheel scrolls through them there would still be one final click to fire.

EDIT: Actually if you wanted to force another style of mode (move etc) you could hold she shift key down and get a different list to scroll through, still without any initial click, just the final click to confirm. That way if you wanted to shoot at a spot on the ground you could see what the chances were, then hit shift and click to move there instead of fire there. Or you could reverse that, move is the default (with the current additional confirm click afterwards) and holding shift down would engage the weapon bar to scroll through

Edited by Patupi

I think that scrolling through the weapon modes and clicking to fire has the possibilty to switch to the wrong mode right befroe fireing. I have at least experienced mousescrolls that wasn't intended at times. At least the initial clicking would make you more aware and focused on clicking to fire in the right aiming mode.

I would welcome anything that lets us move a cancel fireing mode to the right mouse button but I think we should be weary about stuff like mousescrolling. It will probably cause more mistakes then any other option.

Maybe make you be able to cycle back and forth through the aiming modes by right and leftclicking the weapon "portrait"? (and possibly some kind of indicator on the portrait as well as the mousecrosshair to show which aim is currently active)

Edited by Gorlom

Hmm, well if you have to hold down shift or control to bring up the fire scroll popup as apposed to move icon that might remove the possibility of accidental click, but the possibility of accidentally scrolling one up or down before firing might be a problem.

I think the icon for fire being in the weapon portrait works (pretty similar to old Xcom) and clicking there also works. Could add in short cut keys to cycle weapon mode as well as clicks. Several game types (including Xcom) used a popup window from the weapon portrait to select mode. Could hold down click on the portrait, cycle through modes and let go to select. Then fire either using just a weapon click, or as I suggested holding down control to fire.

One thing I always disliked about a lot of strategic games was they often used the same key to move, select and fire. Trying to move somewhere, slightly move the cursor and accidentally fire at an enemy, or (more usually) try to select someone and accidentally move alongside him instead. This last is pretty much quashed with the confirm move, but accidental double click is still possible. Hmm, not sure I've checked on current build. Is there a delay between 1st and second click on confirm move? even a quarter second would prevent that.

The problem with moving the aim modes away from the actual target is that you add in more mouse movement to an action that you will be performing a lot.

Firing at a target and moving should be the two easiest actions because they are the ones you will be doing the most.

Making them more difficult to perform just in case you click the wrong button will just make the actions more frustrating the other 99% of the time.

Having the function of the wheel (or any other key) change on mouse over also has the drawback that you may think, for example, that you are changing aim mode but you have moved the mouse slightly and accidentally changed soldiers instead.

Not sure I agree with you that there should be nothing away from the target to shoot. A lot of games do that even if it is just mode selection. They have seemed perfectly playable to me. As the function change trouble... I can see it with a mouse wheel or a list you are scrolling through, might be iffy, but with holding a key down that changes modes? Move to Fire? Not sure there would be much confusion in that, especially if the cursor changed color starkly when you do.

UFOs. I would recommend that they not spend so much time over water. In X-com, UFOs traveled over

water to get to their mission site, or turning after a scouting sweep. Speed variations would also be good.

In X-com, UFOs traveled at full speed only when moving to, or leaving, their mission site. While on the

mission, their speed would vary, with the lowest speeds being at low altitudes. Makes it a bit easier for

intercepts. So far, most are over water.

Another thing I noticed, and it fooled me into launching the chinook. A detected UFO was listed as

'grounded', but I had to recall the chinook, and send the interceptors out because the 'grounded' UFO

was clocking 2000 mph. This has happened with several UFOs. Might be a bug, or an unimplimented

altitude feature.

Eric

It's an unimplemented velocity feature (Chris said they never show anything except max speed in that field). Imo send out your interceptors and have them patrol the grounded craft and then send your chinook to it. Well in the finished game atleast. I dunno if grounded craft missions are in the game atm... might crash it.

• 2 weeks later...
UFOs are spending a lot of time over water because their mission parameters are thigs like research, which can be done anywhere. As they get more specific missions (destroy city, harvest live stock or whatever else they may be) they'll hang around over land more often

Seems to me like they should be more interested in researching areas over land than the deep blue.

Seems to me like they should be more interested in researching areas over land than the deep blue.

Why would underwater mapmakers, marine biologists and salvager of antique spanish gallions be interested in researching up on dry land?

Maybe they are picking out prime realestate for that aquatic lifeform they got stoved away in tanks on their ships?

Maybe they are setting up things for the sequal TFTD Xenonauts version?

The earth's surface is 70% water imo it would be strange if they were not interested in doing at least some research there.

Edited by Gorlom
the surface not the earth itself.