The new guy: A.I. Developer #42 & Discussion on A.I.

Wow, GJ has certainly proved popular. At the moment I've just got him working on the ground combat AI but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll do something on the air combat AI too. The problem with the entire air combat is that the system isn't fully locked down yet so we're still a bit unsure how it'll turn out.

Wow, GJ has certainly proved popular. At the moment I've just got him working on the ground combat AI but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll do something on the air combat AI too.

How can you not get him to do the Air AI? Do it!

The problem with the entire air combat is that the system isn't fully locked down yet so we're still a bit unsure how it'll turn out.

It'll turn out great, get him to do the Air AI as well.

I did it to make him look more bad ass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1400[/ATTACH]

It worked.

The problem with the entire air combat is that the system isn't fully locked down yet so we're still a bit unsure how it'll turn out.

Potential for juicy gossip here?

Are we looking at changes to the air combat?

Or was this just a cunning pun to say that it was still 'up in the air'?

One more question for G-J...

Will the action of the AI be a little random? I'd hate to think that given Map A, the aliens will alway advance down Street B and occupy Building C. That makes them too predictable. It's been a problem in every version of XCom I've played. Hopefully, your AI will sometimes select a position or route that is not perfect but good just to make it less predictable.

One more question for G-J...

Will the action of the AI be a little random? I'd hate to think that given Map A, the aliens will alway advance down Street B and occupy Building C. That makes them too predictable. It's been a problem in every version of XCom I've played. Hopefully, your AI will sometimes select a position or route that is not perfect but good just to make it less predictable.

Shouldn't be any problem at all :-)

The A.I. should pick options and decide on the best course of action, given some randomness.

I know absolutely nothing of A.I. coding, so here are some noob questions:

Will the A.I. ever overreach and go for something that has high risk of death but if succeeded would bring great reward, or will it always go for the "safe" option? And how much of that will be based on the way the battle has been going so far? - For example, if a Muton was trapped in a corner, will it be aware that it is trapped and react to that? Would it ever do a kamikaze charge at my Xenonauts in a desperate attempt to fight its way out or at least take one of my soldiers with him, or will it always just move to the safest spot available? - Will it know that it is doomed and become desperate, basically? :)

PS:

I'd welcome you to the forums, but seeing as I am new to this place myself it just wouldn't feel right. Glad to see that they brought on what seems to me (noob, remember) like a really gifted and driven coder to do the A.I. though!

PS2:

Aah, what the heck. WELCOME!

Edited by Morgurthion

Will the A.I. ever overreach and go for something that has high risk of death but if succeeded would bring great reward, or will it always go for the "safe" option? And how much of that will be based on the way the battle has been going so far? - For example, if a Muton was trapped in a corner, will it be aware that it is trapped and react to that? Would it ever do a kamikaze charge at my Xenonauts in a desperate attempt to fight its way out or at least take one of my soldiers with him, or will it always just move to the safest spot available? - Will it know that it is doomed and become desperate, basically? :)

Welcome right back at ya! :-)

Very, very good question.

This is the base difference between planning and reactive A.I.; as for this situation the A.I. would have to analyze the different outcomes of the combat. (Or we could make it guesstimate)

I'm not entirely sure whether I will be able to finish it by 9th of Oct; as the remains of the last few A.I. coders (also very talented, but they wanted to go a different way), keep hindering me a bit.

But it's a definite goal to have it in there before I call this thing "done". :-)

Awesome. Well, I'm out of questions then... hehehe! If you can pull this all together by 9-OCT I'm going to be one happy player.

Hey, if they do more then run and shoot or stay and shoot, I'd be happy.

Edited by Betuor

first of all welcome!

second as many people have allready stated i might as well add my preferences for AI

((*basic= civillians run away when in line of sight of aliens or xeonauts, run to hide behind landing site, or run to view alien ship*untill shot at))

((*military = guard streets,move slowly to ufo perrimiter,or slowly move towards landing to guard civs))

((aliens = guard ship, occupy buildings, or hunt to kill))

-----moderate ai funtions---

((civilians=same as basic)),((military= same as basic))

((aliens= race difference behavior--ex each race does what it does best((special abilities +basic(for each class)))

------advanced funtions---------

aliens have random individual personalities

((*sorry can remember diff class names atm))

example- for the soldiers ,one can guard ship(hideing cover nearby or roof/window nearby

search and destroy all humans, search destroy active combatants,consentrate xeonauts only(unless fired upon by other)

other class-roam ship, follow fellow aliens(for support), scientific(*defend itsself but activly seeking civilians)

***the major diff being between moderate and adv is the random element is more complex and varied from generic class to individual personality table...((ex 2 soldiers hunting xeonauts(1 cautious, 1 beserk) one would save points for reaction fire, other would not))

the first 2 catagories would allow basic repetitve assult tactics

where is if you have time the 3rd would force alot more caution/rushing tactics as the civilians would be in alot more danger like in terror events. as well as the unknown of weather the alien you find/finds you has action points left.

note:** having aliens deploy in different setups due to time taken would be a bonus. example if you respond to terror site asap the aliens would be located near their ship,where if you barely make it to the site before the nuke the aliens would be located in every building and even just outside landing site.

**if possible this could also be very benificial to crash sites((if chopper is allready in air vs. allowing time to pass before sending chopper))<------------this may not fall under ai totally((but could effect alien personalities*as aliens would be entrenched))

anyway once again welcome and i bet at this time your strongly thinking of hireing a secretary and a code checker/tester. ;)

What makes chessmaster AIs so strong is that they have a near complete, if not complete, set of outcomes accessible to augment their decisions. Will the AI predict movements based on positions of known player soldiers, or make assumptions, or remember anything?

What makes chessmaster AIs so strong is that they have a near complete, if not complete, set of outcomes accessible to augment their decisions. Will the AI predict movements based on positions of known player soldiers, or make assumptions, or remember anything?

This would fall under the category "learning". The problem is that you separate this into offline and online learning.

Offline learning would mean analyzing (thousands) of plays; and adding this data as knowledge to the A.I.

Online learning would mean learning while the player is playing; which is very, very difficulty as so many factors change in this game from map to map. I.e.: How would I know where the player is coming from, if the map is randomized between each battle?

Just wanted to say first off, belated welcome Gijs-Jan.

Based on some of the things I've read in this thread (to be honest, I've been skimming), It sounds like you have some cool ideas, and have the knowledge and the desire to make things work very well for this game.

Makes me very anxious to see it in action. I know that won't be happening for a while, but there's a LOT of potential here.