OK, OK, so no motion detector. What about a gunfire detector?

(Warning: Idea blatantly stolen from a more creative forum member.)

If I can hear a shot go off, I should be able to hear from which direction, and relative to my closest soldier.

Keep in mind, please, that Chris will not actually start working on anything like this until the beta, but also that, unless I'm reading him wrong, he will be, as always, very open to ideas.

Ready ... set ... riff!

Edited by TheUbiquitous

How does this show? gnarly states that "glowing highlight on the edge of screen indicating direction of sounds." So does the hidden movement screen jump to the soldier closest to the gun shot and then the map edge glows, and then it's back to hidden movement? Just wanted to get it clear in my head.

I'll break out JA2 tonight, and remind myself how they implemented it/what they implemented.

My initial thought was no actual 'Hidden movement' screen (full screen graphic); rather screen stays in Combat screen with say little pop-up dialog indicating AI movement (you may recall JA2 actual had "Enemy movement' and 'Friendly AI' movement phases) When AI move into view, obviously screen pans as appropriate.

I personally wouldn't be too fussed about the nearest soldier thing; wherever the screen is currently located, some generalistic indicator of the N/S/E/W direction of the current sound file source would be sufficient. Whether its border highlight/little green 'ear' icon in the center of the appropriate screen edge/something, or whether a large proportion of tiles in the general direction go briefly white/light coloured (for example a circular radius of say 20-30 tiles, randomly positioned around the sound source, or something).

I'll post back tonight with some screens after JA2 check.

Simple, workable, easily implemented solution:

Screen stays in tactical mode most of the time, and just scrolls fairly quickly from your closest team member to the source of the shot. Quickly enough that you won't figure out EXACTLY where the shot was fired from, or where it hit (maybe some things like rockets/grenades should only scroll to where they go boom), but useful enough that you can crank up the difficulty in other parts of the tactical game if need be, and makes it pay to watch closely what happens during the enemy movement turn.

or just some arrows around the edge of your screen at the start of your turn... white "movement of some sort", yellow "human weapon fired", red "some sort of alien attack/shot" etc ... you know the ones, the kind you get when you're playing a rts and the objective is off screen but you need to go that way *points*.

or just some arrows around the edge of your screen at the start of your turn... white "movement of some sort", yellow "human weapon fired", red "some sort of alien attack/shot" etc ... you know the ones, the kind you get when you're playing a rts and the objective is off screen but you need to go that way *points*.

I always disliked "game-y" elements like that - introducing graphical indicators like little arrows over heads and targeting circles underneath characters' feet just seems so PlayStation and Xbox and un-immersive to me. It takes what seems like a really cool "simulation" and turns it into "hey, I'm reminding you that you're just playing a game, you're playing the UI". But most people just want convenience, and don't really care too much about "RP" style immersion. I do.

I would however do away with the same old "Hidden Movement" screen, or at least not show it as much as is currently the case. Scrolling around real fast on a blacked-out map could also help an astute player who really pays attention, to figure out what's going on where. Which raises the skill-cap on the game imho.

Just don't add any more graphical indicators is all I ask. The whole "S and an arrow for Suppressed" is kind of silly enough for me. You shoot at a guy and you get an arrow over his head - wait, what?? Shouldn't he just crouch down or go prone or take cover and pee his pants or scream himself silly? Ok, maybe we don't need graphical indicators of people peeing their pants. Or monsters doing the same.

I recall finding a little indicator over the soldier really cool looking at first, as to me it was a step up graphically to help you determine what was going on.

However, in this game, seeing someone crouched down is indicator enough that they have been suppressed. However, something on the panel to show they are actually suppressed as opposed to waiting for their turn to stand up and blast would probably be useful.

The blood splattered tiles are a much better indicator than a wound icon, as it does keep things immersive and informative at the same time. well done to the devs there.

I think that having some of the mechanical aliens peeing their pants would cause them to short out. So, any suppression would pretty much lead to an easy kill, which is a bit overpowering. No doubt there would also be cries to have the sprites clearly show they are wearing pants, which would take up a lot of time to put in.

If we can't have a motion detectors or alien sniffing dogs, I'd much rather have some thermal imager or radiation detector or something that can detect hiding aliens through walls (at close range of course.) I hate having to search the whole map to find the last lurking alien. It's such a waste of time. Anything to speed up the process would be welcome. I'd even entertain the alien surrendering if it's the last one and outnumbered.