V24 Experimental Released (Closed Beta)

Closed Beta Build V24 has now been released on Steam and GOG. Note that this build is only available on our Experimental branch so you'll need to switch over to get this update (instructions on how to do that here).

It has been four or five months since our last public update so a huge amount has changed. This changelog is therefore not comprehensive because there's far too much to cover, so it just focuses on the biggest changes I can remember. Overall, though, it should just feel like a much more complete game than in V23.

Anyway, give it a test and let us know if you encounter any bugs. We'll be making fixes and balancing changes over the next few weeks based on player feedback.

General:

• New UI: we've added a lot of new UI to the game, covering both the tactical UI and the strategy UI. It's a pretty significant visual improvement overall (and I think the new Base screen is my personal favourite).
  • Accessibility: we've also added a LOT of new UI to help players understand the game. This includes loading screen tips, mission briefings screens, tutorial popups, UI to display shot hit chances, etc. More information is now displayed about aliens, equipment and aircraft in the Xenopedia (and this is now accessible in the ground combat too).
  • Achievements: achievements are now all set up in Steam and GOG.
  • Cloud Saves: cloud saves have also now been enabled in Steam (our save files have been optimised so they are only about 10% of their previous size, so this shouldn't cause people any problems).

Strategy:

• Campaign Rebalance: there's been a lot of game balance changes. Hopefully most will be easy to discover on your own, but do note that Radars now work like they did in X1 where you can build up to three of them per base (I'm not sure the tooltips have been updated to explain that yet).
  • Research Tree: the research tree has been reworked to improve its pacing. Quite a lot more research text and artwork has been added to the game, particularly in the early stages.
  • ENDGAME: It's now possible to play all the way to end of the game and unlock the final two-part mission to defeat the alien invasion - although I can't promise it's properly balanced yet. Anyway, if you are victorious there's also a campaign stats screen to go with the (placeholder) epilogue.

Tactical Combat:

• Abduction Missions: There's a new type of mission in the game, an Abduction Mission where aliens have imprisoned a number of civilians in teleporter tubes. You have X turns to free as many civilians as possible, and you gain a certain amount of Alloys for each deactivated tube. This add a little more variety to the game as most types of mission have very little time pressure.
  • Grenade paths: it's now possible  to throw grenades in an arc, which means they can be thrown over walls or intervening cover.  This turned out to be a pretty troublesome feature to implement but it does make combat cooler.
  • Updated Visuals: the civilians models are now done, and there has been some significant visual updates to some of the biomes. The Xenonaut Base biome has been completely reworks and there have been additions to the Tropical, Farm, Dockyard and Desert biomes too. The Arid biome is currently being looked at (because it still looks awful) and we're still in the process of working through the destruction states of all of these new objects.

As always, please let us know if you encounter any bugs by posting them up on the Bug Reporting subforums, as we'll be releasing hotfixes to correct any major issues you encounter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris and all others from the Dev-Team for the new Version.

I have played already 2 different Missions (the Alien-Scout-Mission and 1 UFO-Mission). The new Mission Screen and Aeras are great. The same is for the new Xenopedia as well as the Main-Base in all Functions and new Pictures.

More I haven´t seen yet. Some Parts the Game have already activated before the R & D could be done. The Ablative-Plating for the Fighters is an example of that directly at Game-Start. But that small things which are accidentally activaded (like Ablative-Plating) will be balanced and fixed again.

I will play a little bit more with that Version and try to veryfy the Bugs the others have reported until now.

Edited by Alienkiller

@mitrida yeah, the loading times are a pain. Unfortunately most of the load time comes from the debug logging, so everything runs much faster if this is disabled. But if we disable it then we don't get the crash logs. Do you have the game installed on a solid state hard drive?

And yeah, we'll get the crash bug on the abduction tube fixed shortly and release a hotfix.

@Alienkiller yeah, there's a number of engineering projects available at the start now. This is intentional, we've changed the tech tree around a bit.

Thanks for the Info Chris. I have read that the Tech Tree get some improvements / changes in the Version-Information post. Now I understood about that.

Sadly I could do only 2 Missions before the CTD came up with the Teleportation Chambers and freezed Civilians in the 3rd. But from what I have seen, the Game did an big Step forward.

Keep up the good work. The 2 more Monthes in Programming, Graphics etc. for this Version-Upgrade were very usefull. Hope to see an similar big Version Upgrade for an last Beta-Version this Year, until the announced Early Access Part comes in 2023.

Edited by Alienkiller

Hello at long last! It's been like 8 years since I've been here the last time around.

A question @Chris : sadly I was late for the Xenonauts 2 Kickstarter campaign, and I'm rather desperate to get access to the beta of the game. Is there any chance of getting into it at this point?

That said, I'd be more than interested in promoting the upcoming game on my Youtube channel, if possible. Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Orcidea/featured

I'm really excited for the new game! Can't wait to get playing :D

Hi Orcidea, thanks for the Interesst. I´m an Normal Kickstarter-Founder and Betatester too and know that the Game has many Gaps left, which have to be filled bevor an Let´s Play can be done. I hope Goldhawk and the Publisher will give their OK for an Let´s Play, when the Game is ready for it.

That would give an very good presentation to the Public, like it get done for UFO 2 ET, UFO ET, new XCOM and similar.

What the other Question belongs, I can´t answer that. The Game is still in Gap-Filling WIP until the Early Access Phase beginns with the last Finetunings. In an last Dev Diray the Devs announced that an Early Access Phase is planed for Spring 2023. But evtl. you get lucky and get an Beta-Access to get an first look.

Edited by Alienkiller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Orcidea said:

Hello at long last! It's been like 8 years since I've been here the last time around.

A question @Chris : sadly I was late for the Xenonauts 2 Kickstarter campaign, and I'm rather desperate to get access to the beta of the game. Is there any chance of getting into it at this point?

That said, I'd be more than interested in promoting the upcoming game on my Youtube channel, if possible. Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Orcidea/featured

I'm really excited for the new game! Can't wait to get playing :D

Hi again - yeah, I'm pretty sure we can give you beta access prior to the Early Access launch given the size of your channel, but our marketing partner Hooded Horse are handling the coordination so I can't make any firm promises on their behalf. Drop me a DM with your email address and I'll put you in touch with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Hi again - yeah, I'm pretty sure we can give you beta access prior to the Early Access launch given the size of your channel, but our marketing partner Hooded Horse are handling the coordination so I can't make any firm promises on their behalf. Drop me a DM with your email address and I'll put you in touch with them.

Thank you for your reply Chris. I'll send you an email.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Chris said:

@mitrida yeah, the loading times are a pain. Unfortunately most of the load time comes from the debug logging, so everything runs much faster if this is disabled. But if we disable it then we don't get the crash logs. Do you have the game installed on a solid state hard drive?

And yeah, we'll get the crash bug on the abduction tube fixed shortly and release a hotfix.

can i test the game with no debugging tools? (YES I have an ssd 850 evo)

Edited by mitrida

• Chris changed the title to V24 Experimental Released (Closed Beta)