[13.2 - Ground combat] Fatal exception at start of mission

Hiya

Second ground mission vs light scout in a farm map. The game freezes up, then when I alt tab out I see the fatal exception message.

xen 1.png

After I quit out and started up xenonauts again and loaded the autosave it happened again. Then when I started writing this report, I loaded it again to get the pic, it worked.

Then I started a second mission, and the same thing again.

577e7c9a52a28_xen1.png.d07edf71c7f207d0f

I can confirm the same crash. Initial turn loads up as normal, but soldiers/tank are not interactable. Doing anything else (such as switching away from xenonauts) reveals the fatal exception message.

I discovered this first on an Industrial tileset. Having just instralled Orumo's industrial maps, I was worried that some incompatability was arising from this. However I've since started a new game and managed to replicate this error on my second crash mission (farm map).

Got a fix for this.. Just had the same problem...

Do to documents and delete all xenonauts files except the savegames you are using (the date and time is in the filename, so they are easy to identify even for a noob like myself)... I did not delete the folder, but just the files in it except the saves... Also the crash dump file should be deleted, which should be outside de xenonauts folder...

This worked for me...

To devs: It might be a problem with files from different versions confusing the present build? Maybe the old crash dump file should be deleted as part of an update/uninstall/reinstall?

I have been having this problem a lot!!

I have a work around!!

Save game before any ground mission whilst the helicopter is in the air. Once you arrive at the mission hit abort......let the heli start headding home and then re-task it back to the mission.

Seems to work every time.

Can anyone who has a savegame from just before they send the Chinook on intercept do something for me?

Can you please check your base's vehicle tab, my Hunter which was assigned to the Chinook was faded out with the weapon select panel on the right missing and the inability to change assignments and the Decommssion button greyed out.

Might have something to do with it.

Edits:

broken but assigned hunter.jpg

Nb: That Hunter is actually assigned and taking up space on the Chinook, as you can see, I previously changed it to use an MG turret (that option has gone).

broken but assigned hunter.jpg

577e7c9a84fc1_brokenbutassignedhunter.th

Edited by Buzzles

I have tried bloodlazio's work around. I tried it having deleted all save games prior to today and the core dump. Started a new game. Repeat of the crash, first mission. Went back and repeated delete of new coredump and all save games (including today's autosaves) and restarted a new game. Crashed on the 3rd mission this time. Same error.

I suspect that the crash isn't related to the presence of save game files in the Documents folder. There is a chance that it crashes each time. Does not Winterwolves' finding (that the crash isn't always reproducable on reloading the save file) suggest that it isn't predetermined by something in the launch settings?

hmmm wierd i have not had the error again...

Have you got soldiers training? (and are they making any progress?)

My soldiers never got any training done, so i stopped doing it, and just gave them trail by fire... This might also be relevant, there seems to be a major bug about assignments... Training has problems, vehicles have problems and sometimes weird things happened in the beginning of missions in 13.1 (i think this has to some degree been fixed in 13.2, but now instead of running missions with the wrong soldiers ect. it just crashes for some)...

Are you using vehicles? I leave mine in base (now they cannot be assigned to anything anyway, b/c the assignment bug has hit them, my game will probably go corrupt, when/if my base is attacked), since i prefer 12 men to recon over 8+1...

If this assignment business just got fixed i think v13 could run without any major errors...

Have you got soldiers training? (and are they making any progress?)

... This might also be relevant, there seems to be a major bug about assignments...

Yes. (Not sure about progress, encountered game ending crashes in ground combat prior to reaching 10 days)

Are you using vehicles? I leave mine in base (now they cannot be assigned to anything anyway, b/c the assignment bug has hit them, my game will probably go corrupt, when/if my base is attacked), since i prefer 12 men to recon over 8+1...

I am using the vehicle. In the last game, the one thing that was different from the previous 2 successful ground missions was that I dropped the wounded soldier to "unassigned" and replaced him with a soldier from the pool of 4 extras. If assignment is potentially playing a role, then this might have influenced it?

I keep coming back to Winterwolves first post, that suggested that a ground mission failure would not always occur from the start dump just before a ground mission. If this is correct, doesn't it suggest that there is something slightly more random going on? I've not tried to test whether my ground mission failures are reproducable failures, though.

Buzzles, I can confirm that when the vehicle is greyed out, it will freeze. Here's the thing. The vehicle will grey out when you save and load a game.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Start a new game

2) Save the game after putting base up

3) Quit

4) Reload saved game.

5) Check garage = the vehicle will be greyed out.

So it is a case of the saved game not properly processing the vehicle. In this case, the only workaround I can suggest is taking all vehicles off dropships before saving the game.

EDIT: Are vehicles deliberately greyed out when the dropship is in the air? Perhaps the game is assuming the vehicle is permanently airbourne.

EDIT 2: No.1 vehicle will still grey out even if unassigned. As will any other vehicle. If you want to play the game, as it stands you'll have to go without vehicles.

EDIT 3: Okay, more testing done. Guys, vehicles are poison right now. They will mess up your savegame, and consequently, mess up your ground combat.

Edited by Max_Caine

Sorry Max, just had one of these CTD on the Industrial tileset with a save made (no loading either) after unassigning the Hunter on a new game and with a Chinook full of 12 soldiers, with both Hunters acting normally in the Basescreen.

While the greyed out Hunter is certainly a bug, I think it's unrelated unless it's a massively serious low down issue. Which is annoying :S

Just about to try seeing what happens if I unassign and decommission both before saving a fresh game. Will update in my other thread.

Edit: Yeap, no change. Still crashes. Deffo unrelated.

Edited by Buzzles

Just got the error again :( After several mission with no problem... This is not just vehicles, it is the overall assignment...

Made 2 more bases in the beginning (so i could get a chinook to everywhere in the world)... When they where ready, i shipped some soldiers out there. Then when i put them on my chinooks (in each of the new bases), it only showed 10 in one and 11 in the other in the soldier screen... In the dropship screen i could position 9 in each... In the personel screen all 12 where there, and in the soldier screen none where unassigned.

I do not think this is in any way random. It is a question of when you make certain assignment decisions, then the game looks those specific (broken) decisions, and you cannot undo them.

Then when you get to a mission, and the game has to reload the database of soldiers and vehicles it freezes, if there is something wrong with the assignments.

=

This is not a ground combat error, but a base error. Although the freeze/crash does not occur until you start a ground mission.

Edit: Training is broken, vehicles are broken, but i cannot identify the problem with soldiers exactly...

My first mission was not on the Farm Tileset, so I'm guessing it's not map-specific. Also, no saving involved, as I rarely save the game manually. So basically, created a base, intercepted a UFO, went to crash site. Things were ok.

Intercepted another UFO, attempted to move the hunter out of the chinook, saw fatal error message.

So I have experienced this bug as well when the map loads the game would crash. However by a fluke where I believed it should of crashed it did not! Guess what I am missing?! THE RAMP TO GET OFF OF THE SHIP! Maybe that's a hint to this bug? Game didn't crash but obviously I could not get off the ship either. I started using hot keys instead of clicking on the tank which may be an odd reason why it did not crash although this is just me trying something else.

IMG_0963.jpg

Well after posting this i accidentally clicked on a soldier instead of hot keying... Game crashed. Hmm very interesting right?

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg.644560f4933887a9ff67715659e

Edited by lordfeff

I am always getting this on my second mission. I am thinking maybe it is a cache file or something that is reaching it's size limit? If it was not deleting itself/the relevant info, then maybe that could cause a problem.

I don't know if you can tell that I am obviosly an expert in computer programming? With a hammer. While screaming.:)

I am also encountering this error. Grayed out vehicles and all. In order to continue my game, I decommissioned my dropship and purchased a new one, now playing without the tank. I've played a ground mission since then with no problem, but I will definitely try to get in a couple more and report if I get another crash.

Edit #1

So I've played quite a few more ground missions. The overwhelming majority have turned out ok, and I was beginning to think the problem was dealt with. The last game however, the start of game crash occurred again, just as it had with the tank. When I reloaded the game and dispatched the dropship to the same mission again, the game played normally, without the crash.

Edited by feralshrew

Same error also in quick battle. I'm was afraid of it being an issue with my maps (I'm testing my farm maps now) but it seems to be a somewhat random error because same map works some times and doesn't work others, without suffering any change meanwhile.

I'm finding this bug more and more unbearable as it basically makes it impossible for me to enjoy even the briefest playthrough. It almost always hits on the second ground mission in a playthrough and I really can't put my finger on what's triggering it. I really hope this gets fixed soon and not postponed all the way to the Beta as this is probably the most annoying bug of them in my opinion.