Mac bug reports

Not sure if Mac specific or not, but I'm having some bugs

1. There is one which makes each unit preform the previous units action. For example: I select a soldier to fire his equipped rocket launcher, select an alien, click, he makes the sound and aims with no resulting action. Next I have a soldier with any other weapon attack and fwoosh out comes a rocket.

2. Don't know if this is a result of bug 1 but after that happens then it usually stops during the alien movement. My absolutely uninformed guess is that the game check and sees that bug 1 causes one action to remain outstanding and won't allow the alien turn to end. The game doesn't freeze it just stops, the fps info at the top left still changes it just never makes it to my turn.

3. I can save my game during a battle but when I attempt to load it the game crashes. It provides an error message which I can provide but didn't here because of length.

I'm running V15 Xenonauts on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks for Making this for Mac and Unix by the way

Hello,

I have just downloaded the 1.6.1 version for Mac OS X, and unfortunately the game is not playable for me:

1. There a lots of graphical glitches at almost every screen (for instance instead of seeing a soldier, I can see some mashed weird image of my previous safari session) - that happens at almost every screen.

2. The cursor disappears whenever I hover it over the game window - it makes it almost impossible to play (everything is still "clickable", but I have to guess how to click it without seeing the cursor)

Two main issues after 2 minutes, but can't go any further because of them :(

Some data on my Mac:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)

Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: MacBook Wojtek

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

Time since boot: 7 days 17:04

Not sure if Mac specific or not, but I'm having some bugs

1. There is one which makes each unit preform the previous units action. For example: I select a soldier to fire his equipped rocket launcher, select an alien, click, he makes the sound and aims with no resulting action. Next I have a soldier with any other weapon attack and fwoosh out comes a rocket.

2. Don't know if this is a result of bug 1 but after that happens then it usually stops during the alien movement. My absolutely uninformed guess is that the game check and sees that bug 1 causes one action to remain outstanding and won't allow the alien turn to end. The game doesn't freeze it just stops, the fps info at the top left still changes it just never makes it to my turn.

3. I can save my game during a battle but when I attempt to load it the game crashes. It provides an error message which I can provide but didn't here because of length.

I'm running V15 Xenonauts on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks for Making this for Mac and Unix by the way

I will look into it. Thanks for the report.

If anyone else is having these problems on 10.8.2 please let me know. I cannot reproduce on 10.6 or 10.7.[/quote

I somehow made it to the tactical part of the game (I noticed that if I run the game and keep the cursor in the window, i.e. I don't click anything on the desktop and I don't switch the game to full screen mode, the mouse cursor does not disappear), but in tactical mode it gets even worse, as the soldiers are almost constantly invisible and places that I click on the ground to move them turn black..

I was thinking whether to update my OS X to tha latest version and now I clearly see it was a mistake ;))

But seriously, thank you for this game and thanks for all the efforts to makemit run smoothly!

If you need additional feedback / data for 10.8.2 I can run some more tests, just let me kow what you need.

Hi, I just downloaded v17.1, and the cursor isn't showing up (just like di6turbed).

One interesting thing, the .dmg was listed as v17.1, but the game itself is marked as version 0.16. Oversight maybe?

I know that as far as the missing cursor, that problem existed for me in v16 as well.

Thanks!

OSX 10.8.2

2008 13" Macbook Unibody

2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 9400M w/ 256 MB VRAM

Hey what should I do with my error reports? I don't want to post it on the forum due to length. I keep having an error where when I attack with a unit the game crashes. It displays an error report but don't know what to do with it.

You can post a link to a pastebin site or email it to us. ko2fan @ gmail dot com

For me no improvements in v1.7 as well, the cursor is still missing (especially in the tactical part), there are also lots of graphical glitches. Posting some of them below:

Geoscape bug.jpg

base bug.jpg

Tactical bug 3.jpg

Basically, whenever I move my units, they turn into this black (or black with some weird texture) square and after the movement they either disappear, remain in the form of square or (rarely) became normal again. This also always happens when I use the right mouse button to change the direction of my units / soldiers.

Civilians look exactly the same (I saw a rectangle moving in my direction, so I suppose it was a civilian :) )

At geoscape / base level the glitches are random, but appear quite regularly and with no actual pattern - apart from when I highlight any area of the world, then the lower part of the screen becomes green. I can send you more pictures if it would be any help, just let me know!

Geoscape bug.jpg

base bug.jpg

Tactical bug 3.jpg

577e7ca226756_Geoscapebug.thumb.jpg.b248

577e7ca22b371_basebug.thumb.jpg.bcb9e646

577e7ca22f4ff_Tacticalbug3.thumb.jpg.8ad

I don't have any knowledge on when V18 will be out.

Looking at the screenshots those look like driver bugs. Without source code to the engine I wont be able to work around them. I will try replicating them with my own code and reporting it Apple.

9400m is pretty old, but I think should still be supported.

Edited by ko2fan

Walking through buildings (Quonset huts). Apparently dead alien (couldn't shoot him, could stand on him) shown standing up. Walking through visually solid walls. Invisible civilian, too.

Biggest thing right now is the game feels very clicky. You have to click. A lot. To get past most any popup window notifications. The game world also feels very un-atmospheric at the moment. It's sterile and very very basic in that you hardly ever see anything past the first vertical level, since you have to be down at that level to select or move anything, you can't display the second level just for looks like I usually do in these types of games to get a better feel for how the game field actually is intended to look.

Q: When was the last time you saw the second level art for the Chinook? Is there really much of a point to having all these gorgeous art assets if we're just going to almost never see them?

/2c

Edited by Oathbreaker

• 3 weeks later...

Spotlight is slowing things down on my old 10.6.8 macbook.

This applies to V17, and maybe also V14 and 16.

Spotlight indexes the xenonauts.app package folder at intervals. This takes some time and consumes lots of cpu (around 33%). It starts when opening xenonauts, and seems to restart when switching to/from ground combat. Disabling indexing for the xenonauts folder solves this. As a result the game runs smoother, and the fans no longer run full speed all the time.

Indexing activity can be checked using the activity monitor > mdworker task > info > open files tab.

Other program contents don't seem to be indexed (and what's the point btw). It suggests .app folders need some kind of flag telling spotlight to skip them.

I've dug up two suggestions:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/spotlight-dev/2008/Jul/msg00009.html

http://lists.apple.com/archives/spotlight-dev/2008/Jul/msg00012.html

Edited by Bluedot2938
removed t-mobile reference - concerned time machine backup loop not indexing

There's more... will probably be nagging some more, although i'm getting bored with the alpha :)

(work)spaces and sticky CTRL key

When switching to another (work)space and back, returning to xeno, the CTRL key seems to have gotten 'stuck'. As a result, none of the keys respond anymore, leaving ground combat mouse only, eventually getting stuck at pauzed aircombat. The solution seems to simply press CTRL again, or restarting the game. Going into expose or dashboard may also solve this.

Incompatible with antiRSI?

Xeno runs fine with antirsi in the background, but after the micropauze popup dissappears, these problems occur:

- on a city map with burning ufo, scrolling to/from the fire area causes a short second delay, but otherwise scrolls smoothly. Otherwise it's always smooth 40-50fps.

- on desert map, without fire, the game runs ok for some time, and then starts lagging (slight tearing also) when scrolling over certain area's, worse than the previous issue. It's mostly to-from the ufo, and possible the chinook. On map corners there's no delay. Problems seem to worsen over time.

- on the farm map, without fire, the game lags dropping to 3fps immediately

After quiting antirsi, the problems disappear.

The activity monitor shows the windowserver task is going ape, maxing out the cpu.

This occurs with versions 3.0.2, and the older 2.x which you can grab for free form the dev's website:

http://tech.inhelsinki.nl/antirsi/

- Specs: Macbook 1,1 2006 coreduo 2ghz (with battery), 2GB ram, OS 10.6.8.

- Screen: GMA950, single screen DVI @ 1920x1080. Windowed game runs at default 1280x ?