To show them on the map you need to add the city name and country name to your strings.xml

For example to get Oslo to show on your geoscape add:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Oslo</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Oslo</Data></Cell>

</Row>

And:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Norway</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Norway</Data></Cell>

</Row>

Any more cities you add with the country Norway will now display that part fine, it only needs to be in once no matter how many times it is used.

Apparently the actually shape varies some over the course of a year. The tilt of the earth contributes to the cycle to and from 24 hours of night/day the north/south poles experience over the year. Here's a better site, scroll down for a more science filled explanation. Change the date to one 6 months from now to see the tilt effect in action.

Back on topic, personally I think it would feel more natural than the straight line and look nicer but then again Chris et al. are the ones designing the game so it's their call. Oh, and I'm not suggesting they worry about the earth wobble, just the curve... Unless they want to do earth wobble ;)

Yes, secretly, because of mind control, what you don't realise is that the entire game actually takes place over one day =p

Silly AD obviously the aliens placed 1 base on the geographic north and one on the geographic south and then untilted the earth in relation to the sun!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this the correct place to mention Islands - or is it just cities?

I know Chris as said previously that the land-sea mask with the current map was a place holder and he intended to return to it before release once the code for the game was all in place, to include contries like the Philipines. There are a number of other Islands that it would be good to include:

Mediteranean: Add Cyprus, Malta

Make Land: Crete

(all would be useful for placing bases with Europe, Middle East, Russia and North Africa overlaps).

Edited by flyingdisc
Edited (removed Scicily (which is already in) and to clarify that Crete (while visiable) is not currently treated as land

• 2 months later...

So few coordinates from my area, I eyeballed it against google maps for "accuracy":

X Y

4675 2817 Port Elizabeth, South Africa

4803 2717 Durban, South Africa

4705 2613 Johannesburg, South Africa

4839 2627 Maputo, Mozambique

4720 2716 Masero, Lesotho

4792 2650 Mbabne, Swaziland

4648 2627 Gaborone, Botswana

• 6 months later...

I dunno if this thread is still being watched, but I thought I'd rep my hometown just in case:

Vancouver, Canada: 1298, 0921

This is about as exact as I can be until the revised Geoscape is released, as it looks like part of the coast has been swallowed along with Vancouver Island.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there going to be a geoscape editor, that also lets you define new countries? Would be nice to have Canada seperate from US,(we did fight a war with them afterall, to keep that) and a few major cities in Canada, like Toronto, and Vancouver. Vancouver Island also appears to have sank, which Im sure the 750,000 people who live there would disagree with...