• 1 month later...

Hi to all forumites from my part also!

I played the original xcom games a lot and all the would-be-successors released since (I think I have missed none). UFO: Extraterrestrials came close with Bman's mod. Firaxis try was very entertaining for one play through, but there is not much replayability there.

Expecting a lot from this one here.

Generally I play TBS and RPG and their mixtures but not much else (Ok, I enjoy my FPS/MMO occasionally)

ATM, I'm pondering if I should try the alpha. Do I ruin my Xenonauts experience by playing it too early? Can it at it's current state compete with games like CK2/Endless Space/CIV5 on my game shelf? Should I support it nevertheless?

Well, you can ruin your Xenonauts experience by simply reading the forums. The alpha swings through stages of stable-unstable-stable-unstable. So at one point in time, you might see a rash of threads/posts which say "can not play this game", which reflects the state of the alpha at the particular point in time. Then the bugs which cause crashes are ironed out then a new build comes out which introduces brand new game-breaking bugs! If you come onto the forums at the "wrong" time, you might think WTF? (17.5 is currently very unstable). Also, especially in the modding foums, the guts of the game are looked over, and various spoilers (such as alien races not yet seen) are discussed. Some people use

tags, but other people don't.

Additionally, I believe you're comparing Xenonauts with the wrong kind of strategy game. Xenonauts has far more in common with X-Com: Ufo Defence than games like Endless Space or Civilisation 5, and if you go into the game with that kind of mindset then you'll be dissapointed.

Good to know. It would be preferable to really play the game at a more stable state. But Xenonauts has sparked my interest enough that I will probably buy the alpha and quickly try the game just to get the feeling of it.

With Civ5 comment I just meant that the limited time available for gaming I will most likely use on finished games. Alpha/beta state games are certainly allowed to have them bugs/ctd's/totally unbalanced gameplay etc, but on some rare occasions at least beta state games have been quite playable. And I understood that Xenonauts are quite near the beta stage? How is the balance and AI coming along?

I get it Max_Caine, jeez make one mistake.

However as Max said, welcome to the forums, avoid getting in arguments about weapon realism and you should be fine.

To give you an idea of where Xenonauts is, you cannot currently finish the game, most of the core and some of the secondary Aliens have been implemented (Art wise) as well as most non-alien units (Exception of high level units). The AI is ok but is still being worked on heavily. Balance too is being worked on.

If your intention is to play the game thoroughly then I would suggest you wait until Beta or final release, since by Beta the game should be mostly playable and completable.

I get it Max_Caine, jeez make one mistake.

However as Max said, welcome to the forums, avoid getting in arguments about weapon realism and you should be fine.

wow! I'm impressed that you can type in the stocks :)

Or did I imagine your post. Perhaps you can't post from the stocks. Perhaps I'm imagining this whole thing. I'll look away and find I live in a world where the Pistol has 50 rounds and a flamethrower option.

Actually, why can't we have Judge Dredd's lawgiver modded in? :)