Hi,

I've recently purchased the game and I'm posting just to say hello to all x-coms out there and to share my excitement to have this year two x-com games, a classic approach with xenonauts and a newer one with Firaxis x-com.

As an elder pc-gamer this is a great year for me, I'm in love with the original x-com trilogy and I think xenonauts will be a great remake once finished.

Regards,

Hello Orumo, welcome!

Can't relate about X-Com specifically, I've just missed the original games. Have played and loved the Jagged Alliance series though, especially the combat seems to be highly influenced by X-Com. And, based on what I've seen in the game so far, I think I'm going to love the final product!

It's indeed a good year for those that love the classics and prefer gameplay over visuals.

Cheers

It's going to be real great glad to have you and what does elder really mean. Like you we're thirty something when you started gaming when the "486's" came out? Not that I would know anything about that or anything.:rolleyes:

Elder for me is equal to have started playing with an atari2600+spectrum and to be thirty something :)

Hello Orumo, welcome!

Can't relate about X-Com specifically, I've just missed the original games. Have played and loved the Jagged Alliance series though, especially the combat seems to be highly influenced by X-Com. And, based on what I've seen in the game so far, I think I'm going to love the final product!

It's indeed a good year for those that love the classics and prefer gameplay over visuals.

Cheers

My favourites turn-based squad combat games are x-coms, jas and silent storm, I think all of them are connected with Laser Squad in some manner.

Jagged Alliance 2 is awesome, specially with the unofficial patch.

• 3 months later...

Hi! New myself as well. Actually new to xcom in general, but used to strategy and tactics games, like the old fallout tactics for instance. Started out in xcom:eu right on classic (non ironman since it was my first game) and beat it and got an impossible ironman game going now. Fell in love with the idea of xcom, and xenonauts is looking pretty damn good so far :D

Elder for me is equal to have started playing with an atari2600+spectrum and to be thirty something :)

Oh cool! Someone else who grew up with a Speccy. Welcome in Orumo, and there are a few of us old fogies around here. I started with a ZX81, upgrade to spectrum and did a stint with the Amiga before finally having to get a IBM when I went to Uni. Coursework and all :)

I loved the 3 main XCom games and even liked intercepter... a bit, and later got into the UFO series too. I have demoed the new XCom game and haven't been too impressed, but got hit by bugs so... maybe I'll buy it later when they've fixed them.

Anyone remember making up batch files to get more memory? ultima underworld, seal team ect on those big floppy discs LOL

Hello everyone,

I remember spending all day trying to get The 7th Guest to run on my old PC. I was so excited as I finally got a cd-rom drive (i think it was a single speed) and spent ALL DAY trying to get it to run. I finally did thank god!

I started on a Commodore 64 back in the day; I remember when cheating on a game was probably more effort than just playing better (POKE commands, anybody?)

I think I had to make a boot disc to run Elite 2; it needed a lot of standard memory available (600+ kb, when you only had 640kb to play with and that had to load some drivers as well).

Tech moves too fast.

But arent you proud that you've lived through this great times? I mean, this is the great revolution, on the par to the industrial, alphabet and, early on, fire handling. But this one move so fast that we've been able to see almost all of it in a life time.

Ehh, i didn't make it to the atari, but my first 386 was like an overfilled box'o'booty, archived with drivespace just to get a several more megabytes and save another great game or program.

Just think, you was able to run a windows from an .com file, and exit from it too. Neat!

Anyway, just want to greet you guys too, since i'm too shy to start a thread for it. Let make the Xenonauts closer to the release.

But arent you proud that you've lived through this great times? I mean, this is the great revolution, on the par to the industrial, alphabet and, early on, fire handling. But this one move so fast that we've been able to see almost all of it in a life time.

But imagine being able to use all of that creativity on platforms like the ones you have today. Sure, there's an element of learnign the hard way, and maturing/ learning with the software/hardware, but the hassle! the limitations!

In another generation, people will be very glad they didn't have to go through the stuff we have now, let alone things from the 70s/80s :)

The limitations build your imagination, the bounds just make you stronger. In fact, you have to find your own border and make your way through it to do something worthful even now.

It was just times when limits were almost everywhere. And now i'm kind of...addicted to that times. Is this bad?

I was gonna say I was nostalgic about nostalgia but then I got nostalgic about being nostalgic about nostalgia...

...This is a dark deep hole we're digging ourselves.

I remember them as being deeper...and darker.. so much street lighting these days. Oh, and digging it? don't get me started on the shovels of today. I remember when shovels were shovels. There was a time when...ramble...tangent...ramble...

Welcome.

Glad to have you aboard.

Another ancient lurker here. I definitely remember having to tweak autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get older DOS games to run.

At times wondering -- "Which type of expansion RAM driver do I need to use for 'game x'. Actually still use batch files from time to time.

Been around them in one form or another since the 70s. Lots of changes have occurred since then.

Definitely think night missions should be dark too. Hope they are in the final version