Well Impressed with Xenonauts so far!

Order

It's been my first opportunity to jump onto a ground combat build of Xenonauts and I'm pretty blown away by the progress to date as well as the polish already demonstrated in the V8.1 existing assets.

I messed about in a ground combat mission and for the most part the gameplay was smooth, looked great and most importantly reminded me of the gameplay I so enjoyed as a kid. The best part is that it already has a few great little tweaks and items I've always had in my XCOM wish list.

Animations in particular were very polished and smooth to watch. Everything from bringing the shotgun to bear to vaulting over small obstacles was fantastic. The smoke and fire effects are very nice too - the explosions also have a nice animation.

So far I'm really impressed by the devs. Keep up the good work!

Glad you like it. Give it a few more weeks and it should be much more recognisably X-Com though, as the two main things we're working on right now are the UFO tiles and the Research tree (or rather we're rendering the early researchable armours and weapons so you can use them)...

The game seems to be coming along just fine.

I tried the first version available on Desura, and while it showed a lot of promise (and some great graphics and animations), gameplay wise it was clear there was a lot of work to be done.

This latest version is a giant leap forward, and most of the "quirks" that were present on the previous version were addressed.

I experienced a number of small bugs (a few text bugs, a character got stuck in a door and wouldn't move, ...), but the game felt quite good, quite "X-Com". :)

I just need to get the hang of the interception part of the game, since so far it hasn't totally "clicked" with me.

Excluding the natural and obvious lack of content on this version, the biggest work the game currently needs is in terms of optimization, since it's loadings/turns/... were a bit on the slow side.

But again, even now, with plenty of time left for the game's release, it's a pretty fun game.

After this latest version, I have no doubts you will deliver a great game, one I will certainly enjoy to play.

Keep up the good work. ;)

Hello, being a long time X-Com fan I just bought the premium preorder version of this game. I tried to play the game though but it isn't playable because it locks up when going through tabs in the base all the time. I tried both the play button and the debug button but same things keep happening when in-base. Now I read on the forum that people are actually playing missions, but I don't see me getting anywhere near to being able to play a mission. Is this known to everyone and is there a workaround or should I just do nothing and wait untill there is alien contact to play a mission? As it looks now there still is a lot of work to do, since the game has shut down in the base very often.

It Just locked down pushing the fast forward button in the Geoscape. Sorry but the game is unplayable like this for me, perhaps someone can give me some advice?

Edited by euphoric77

In the current build, trying to go to the soldier equip screen (one of the base tabs) or change aircraft weapons causes a crash.

Fortunately, you don't need to enter either to actually play. I've never heard of it freezing from fast-forward though.

You can just load it through desura and wait for a UFO to appear and shoot it down (can be hard to win an air combat as a new player though), then send the chinook at it. Basically, never go into the base screen (besides, there's nothing there to do anyways that won't cause a crash really).

Quick way is going into the install folder and running the GroundCombat.bat file. That will load a game that will create and load a ground mission every game hour.

Something important to note is that THERE IS NO GROUND COMBAT LOADING SCREEN. It will seem like its frozen, but I think the music does change while it loads one, so just wait.

Thanks for answering!

I just played my first air assault - it seems my aircrafts arent controllable? I can shoot weapons by mouseclick, but using the keyboard nothing worked. I shot a UFO down and started a ground mission - Lots of fun!!! Cannot wait for the newer builds to come and to see the game progress. If you guys manage to increase the techs and weaponry compared to XCOM this game will really be great to play!

Keep up the good work!

The aircraft are controlled by the mouse. Select them either by clicking on their combat icon or data window, then left click on the map or a target. Q and E roll the selected aircraft left or right respectively. Space is pause.

The 1-4 keys control weapon firing or something. Spacebar is pause. I think F1-F4 select the craft, with F4 being select all.

Personally, I only use spacebar, the roll keys and just fire the weapons/select the aircraft with the mouse.

When I select the plane, nothing happens using the Q and E keys, perhaps I am doing something wrong but in the 3 fights I had I haven't been able to steer my jets. Only thing working are the missiles and in case of the F17 the cannon.

Never mind with the F17 it worked now...

Edited by euphoric77

I think I own and have played every x-com/ufo clone out there, and I can say without any shadow of a doubt Xenonauts is the best to date. It's a dream to play even with the bugs, and I believe when it is finished it is going to be the number one in it's class.

Just wanted to give kudos to the team for their hard work so far. I think you guys have got the atmosphere of the game perfectly. There have been a fair number of times while playing this game that my girlfriend laughed at me because I jumped when one of my guys got shot at by an alien.

The tactical combat is very good as well at this point. Every weapon fills an important niche and the way body armor is implemented makes great sense.