I appreciate the empty cockpit over how it was back in version 8. Back then the cockpit was just a solid block of wall that you couldn't see into.

Be careful if you complain enough the devs might revert it back to that simply because it's easier :P

I appreciate the empty cockpit over how it was back in version 8. Back then the cockpit was just a solid block of wall that you couldn't see into.

Be careful if you complain enough the devs might revert it back to that simply because it's easier :P

I thought I was in the suggestions & Feature request forum :P

Seeing a black mass for the cockpit would definitely be a step backwards. Just have to remember its the first thing, along with the assault force, that your going to see time and again every mission (until you can upgrade from the chinook...) more bells and whistles the better me thinks.

Sure, it would be a nice thing to have :) but it's far from necessary.:( I'm mostly objecting to what someone suggested that the pilots be animated performing a number of tasks. I think that any animation over 4-6 frames is probably quite unreasonable. Especially if its intended to play all the time.

In the end I think its a feature that won't ever be fully satisfying:(, there could always be some improvement. Somewhere down the line it won't be worth the investment of time and resources.

Someone did mention that he never had any issue with the cockpit back in X-com:EU because you couldn't see into it, but that he was bothered by the empty cockpit that we can see now... Comments like that essentially asks that we take a step back and get a closed cockpit just because some people can't reconcile or justify the cockpit being empty. If it's too much of a problem the devs are going to feel obliged to fix it. Sometimes by the path of least resistance if other solutions just bring new problems.

That would make me a sad panda :(

In part for me - if I can have two more Xenonauts on the groud then that is a plus.

there is that. :)

I admit that the idea of the pilots giving cover fire as the brave Xenonauts fleeing back to the Chinook ahead of a horde of aliens has a certain appeal to it. But that's not really how the missions pan out (hopes for Alien Horde/Hive mod).

...that's not really how the missions pan out (hopes for Alien Horde/Hive mod).

In some of the later missions with larger alien craft I would enjoy missions in which the aliens were aggressive to the level that you had to defend the Chinook.

• 1 month later...

I've read through this thread, and I really must say, I would just like to have two pilots sitting in their chairs. If anything, one can be modeled to be perpetually leaning over the controls with a headset on, and the other reading some random magazine. The fact that there is a visible cockpit, and that it is empty, does bug me, and I find it hardly likely that Infantry would also be trained as pilots, it's just not feasible. So two stationary models would really make things nicer, hell model them to be wearing the same uniform as the unarmored Xenonaught troops. No need to make this crazy and overly complicated.

I wonder if people would then wonder what they were doing just sitting there, when they could be adding covering fire for their retreating Xenonauts.

I thought that the Xenonauts had been plucked from a variety of units to join a crack organisation that had been in existence for decades. Part of that could well have involved training to pilot the Chinook (and probably helps explain why it can never evade anything when intercepted by the enemy.:))

I prefer the idea that the troops get into combat positions before turn 1, and that at least one of them had been in the pilot seat before that happens.

I wonder if people would then wonder what they were doing just sitting there, when they could be adding covering fire for their retreating Xenonauts.
Make the pilots civilian contractors. Dress them up as civvies (ie: farmers when on a farm map. office workers when on industrial etc) to illustrate this!!!! :o

Maybe do away with the Chinnok staying there. Have it drop you off & they fly off. Pretty sure they'd want to that. I would if i was the pilot

What if you want to abandon the mission and evacuate? Should you be forced to call for evac and wait at a specific square at a specific turn? Or should you just be totally screwed?:rolleyes:

You know what I would do if I was a Xenonaut and the pilot tried to take off? I'd shoot him in the head and yell at the copilot to stay put! :P

Think less military Vietnam movie and more SWAT response... They don't drive their vans away after dropping of the agents at the scene.

Nobody wins with the pilots.

If the pilots aren't there, people say "Where are the pilots?"

If the pilots are there, people say "Why aren't they doing anything?"

If the pilots do something, people say "Why am I risking the only people qualified to get my squaddies home?"

If the cockpit is blank (to show it is covered), people say "where is the cockpit?" AND "where are my pilots?"

What if you want to abandon the mission and evacuate? Should you be forced to call for evac and wait at a specific square at a specific turn? Or should you just be totally screwed?:rolleyes:

You know what I would do if I was a Xenonaut and the pilot tried to take off? I'd shoot him in the head and yell at the copilot to stay put! :P

Think less military Vietnam movie and more SWAT response... They don't drive their vans away after dropping of the agents at the scene.

That would be quite cool if you had to defend an area. Could even have evac missions.

Maybe even parachute in. Random starting points.

Leaving the chinnok in the combat zone seems very suicidal to me.

That would be quite cool if you had to defend an area. Could even have evac missions.

Maybe even parachute in. Random starting points.

Leaving the chinnok in the combat zone seems very suicidal to me.

Funny I still think rendering your only way home inaccessible for no reason (I don't know what assumptions you're making, but there is no reason to send it away as the aliens personal weapons can't destroy your transport) seems more suicidal.

And twisting/complicating the abandon mission mechanic because you think something else is more logical seems like a really really REALLY bad idea.

Maybe do away with the Chinnok staying there. Have it drop you off & they fly off. Pretty sure they'd want to that. I would if i was the pilot

Gorman to Ferro: Immediate dust off on my clear, then stay on station.

Ferro's thoughts: Sure, drop you guys off and then go and land on another bit of the station without any fire support. Gorman, you're an @$$

As for FOW in the cockpit, are you sure that they're smoking in there?

"Hey sarge, the cockpit's all steamed up!"

"My god! There's an alien in there! Listen to all those grunting noises!"

Funny I still think rendering your only way home inaccessible for no reason (I don't know what assumptions you're making, but there is no reason to send it away as the aliens personal weapons can't destroy your transport) seems more suicidal.

And twisting/complicating the abandon mission mechanic because you think something else is more logical seems like a really really REALLY bad idea.

Personal weapons can take out tank but not the unarmoured chinnok???

The agent could just run away as he is on earth & could steal a car? Chinook isn't the only way home but its a fast way there.

I like different missions, cause after a while doing the same thing does get boring. I'm sure you could have exit points where it's safe to pickup the survivors.

I really do hope the missions get a little more variations in the beta & alpha