BERSERK! soldiers idea

Being an old school gamer i have played every more or less prominent game of 1990-1999

I have an idea about soldiers gone berserk. It is inspired by old Kings Bounty strategy game.

Units could go berserk there and start attack everything. Along with this disadvantage their stats were encreased. That was reasanoble to teleport your berserk unit to a group of enemies.

I propose to add extra action points, and strength to berseking soldiers.

Have you heared stories about people in the great stress are getting extra power? Pilots in madness breaking parachute straps that are impossible to break for ordinary men etc.

--

If you expand this idea it is possible to set berserk unit to attack only aliens + strange subjects (like a Rambo in a groove) while Panicing Berserc attacking everyone

Edited by KOKON

Being an old school gamer i have played every more or less prominent game of 1990-1999

I have an idea about soldiers gone berserk. It is inspired by old Kings Bounty strategy game.

Units could go berserk there and start attack everything. Along with this disadvantage their stats were encreased. That was reasanoble to teleport your berserk unit to a group of enemies.

I propose to add extra action points, and strength to berseking soldiers.

Have you heared stories about people in the great stress are getting extra power? Pilots in madness breaking parachute straps that are impossible to break for ordinary men etc.

--

If you expand this idea it is possible to set berserk unit to attack only aliens + strange subjects (like a Rambo in a groove) while Panicing Berserc attacking everyone

Yes I agree when youre feeling so much danger your survival instincts come in and anything can happen. Like the Hulk American comic :) grrrrrr hehehehehe

I dont think there is a strategy for having low bravery soldiers since they will most likely be near your other soldiers when they go berserk and youre hoping to not lose any sergeants and majors too.

I'm not sure about granting beserk troops adrenally enhanced powers. It just makes it harder to shoot them...or stun them. Since they are probably also more prone to be controlled, they also become a liability and are less likely to be taken on subsequent missions. In short, extra work for soldiers with a short shelf life.

On the other hand, perhaps I'm reading it wrong. Perhaps you don't mean beserk as a result of getting their butt kicked in a mission. Perhaps this is a controlled viking/ slaine comic induced rage?

How would this work in game - take more damage? more APs?

How would this be balanced - only works for X rounds and then they lose APs and are more vulnerable?

How would the aliens take it - the Beserker Muton in the X-Com game would be a prime example. Prepare for psychotic alien attacks!

i don't think berserk should encrease anything beyond:

- Strength (if soldier is carrying heavy armor it would reduce it's penalty etc)

- AP

In xcom berserk lasted only for one turn. Bercserk probably can have a chance to be prolonged if soldier have inflicted demage to the enemy.

psi, morale, accuracy etc should not be affected probably.

Low rank soldiers should be panicing berserks i suppose

Edited by KOKON

Controlled berserking seems to kind of defeat the point. I'm not sure I would enjoy that.

It became something of a cliche in the comics and various RPGs at the time too. The alternative was that the berserker, would kill friend as well as foe. This takes them back into being an utter liability who should be shot, making the effort going into having them in the first place look redundant.

It became something of a cliche in the comics and various RPGs at the time too. The alternative was that the berserker, would kill friend as well as foe. This takes them back into being an utter liability who should be shot, making the effort going into having them in the first place look redundant.

I thought the point of it was to be a negative status effect such as panicking or being mind-controlled. You would not want to have them at all. :confused: How would anyone put effort into having them anyway? Xenonauts doesn't have the same range in the bravery rng and anyone succumbing to berserking would probably increase their stats over time automatically making them less susceptible to the status affliction. How would you go about preventing that?

PS. Does redundant fit there? wouldn't pointless or unnecessary be better options? :confused:

PPS. Are we talking about Xenonauts or the comics/RPGs btw?:confused:

PPPS. :confused::confused::confused::P:confused:

I thought the point of it was to be a negative status effect such as panicking or being mind-controlled. You would not want to have them at all. :confused: How would anyone put effort into having them anyway? Xenonauts doesn't have the same range in the bravery rng and anyone succumbing to berserking would probably increase their stats over time automatically making them less susceptible to the status affliction. How would you go about preventing that?

PS. Does redundant fit there? wouldn't pointless or unnecessary be better options? :confused:

PPS. Are we talking about Xenonauts or the comics/RPGs btw?:confused:

PPPS. :confused::confused::confused::P:confused:

Well, there are two ways of looking at it. Both of which the OP touches on.

You have your Berserk soldier who just shoots at anything that moves and has no advantages at all. Like EU has when morale drops or mind control kicks in.

But then you have your Berserk soldiers that can be dropped into the enemy lines, and cause a significant amount of damage as they have increased stats to represent their huge adrenal surge. Sort of like the first one, but on steroids and more useful in an offensive capacity. Now this may well happen as per the first one, but these fit the stereotypical Viking/Celtic berserker (hence comics reference)and could possibly be pushed into going berserk for the benefit of his own side.

Having them increase in stats anyway reducing the chance of going berserk seems fine. The chances of them living long enough to see those increases are pretty slender.

Well, there are two ways of looking at it. Both of which the OP touches on.

You have your Berserk soldier who just shoots at anything that moves and has no advantages at all. Like EU has when morale drops or mind control kicks in.

But then you have your Berserk soldiers that can be dropped into the enemy lines, and cause a significant amount of damage as they have increased stats to represent their huge adrenal surge. Sort of like the first one, but on steroids and more useful in an offensive capacity. Now this may well happen as per the first one, but these fit the stereotypical Viking/Celtic berserker (hence comics reference)and could possibly be pushed into going berserk for the benefit of his own side.

Having them increase in stats anyway reducing the chance of going berserk seems fine. The chances of them living long enough to see those increases are pretty slender.

That's not how I read it at all. As I understand it he thinks both should be getting the bonus stats and possibly even that both should be triggered by the moral dropping but that they can either berserk while distinguishing friend from foe (as he mentions firing on "strange subjects", which i assume to mean something other then aliens... I don't see why a player would do that manually) and a panicking berserking where the unit shoots at everything. No idea how he means the game woul choose hich is triggered, maybe just RNG.

Either case I do not like the idea of berserking not being a negative status effect. To use it as a tactic just wouldn't be fun imo.

I don't particularly mind making the guy that could possibly kill your own units a bit more dangerous though.

And reading back I have no idea what you are really arguing. Are you for or against the suggestion? or trying to clear something up for me that I have misunderstood?

I don't particularly mind making the guy that could possibly kill your own units a bit more dangerous though

+1

Should Berserk use it's personal armour to crush everything around btw? Yeah some abducted civilians should behave in a psychopath way if you free them from jail during the mission. They can take dropped weapon and shoot everyone around