PLEASE add an option to auto-resolve air/ground combat!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND!!!!!1111111ELEVEN

It's a program that adds auto resolvable combats to both the original xcom and terror from the deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

happy-rage-guy.jpg

It's called xcomutil (google it).

Time to reinstall my good old x-com collector's edition! :):):):)

happy-rage-guy.jpg

happy-rage-guy.jpg.424af36d92bedc5c30386

A good solution I've been wishing for is the game giving you the option to auto-resolve dogfights when you have successfully shot down x number of UFOs without taking damage or losing interceptors. Shooting down the smallest UFOs is just a matter of engaging the afterburner, firing both missiles, and doing an evasive roll in case the UFO gets a shot off. Rinse and repeat. Once you've done it many enough times, the game should realize you've mastered that particular foe and give you the option to auto-resolve the engagement. I feel that'd be a compromise that should work for everyone.

I am personally bored to tears by the mind numbingly slow and dull ground combat that takes ages to finish, and the air combat is kind of neat but it could also get annoying after a while, so PLEASE add an option to auto resolve combats. You could have a percentage counter telling you the chances of the combat being successful, and the higher it is the less casualties you suffer and the more loot you recover. That way you can skip easy battles that you have a high chance of wiinning and concentrate on the really hard battles where your direct participation can be crucial to the outcome.
This is like saying that I love Gran Turismo, but hate the parts where you drive a car. Or that I want to skip the "mind-blowingly boring" (yay for maturity and constructive criticism :rolleyes: ) parts of the Modern Warfare games where you run around with a gun and shoot people. Makes zero sense to me.
Basically you should let a person play how they want, if they want to play with loads of money just add a funding slider, if someone doesn't want to watch a cut scene it's reasonable to let them skip it, the same should be true of any part of the game. You might think the person is weird for skipping all the ground combat but it does not affect your game, you don't need to tell them how to play and you don't need to tell them to stop playing. That makes no sense at all.
Strongly disagree. Games are made to be played a certain way, and the more of these options and sliders that you add, the more time-consuming the development process is going to be, and the harder it will be to properly balance the game.

Seriously? HALF the game is non-combat (geo-scape, research, base construction, financial management etc.). Just because i don't like the combat doesn't mean i don't like the game. I love everything related to the geo-scape, and that's what i want to focus on. Not moving a guy 10 meters, then clicking end turn, waiting 5 minutes, moving him another 10 meters, click end turn, wait 5 minutes and ON AND ON FOREVER.

Seriously? HALF the game is non-combat (geo-scape, research, base construction, financial management etc.). Just because i don't like the combat doesn't mean i don't like the game. I love everything related to the geo-scape, and that's what i want to focus on.

Half? That's like 5-10% if you remove everything that ties into the battles aspect of the game. It's essentially pointless without the air and ground battles, it removes all of the feeling of accomplishment since you never get to reap any rewards.

How is geoscape fun without air battles? What do you do in geoscape if you don't shoot down aliens?

How is research any fun if you never get to use any of the things you researched?

Edited by Gorlom

Half? That's like 5-10% if you remove everything that ties into the battles aspect of the game. It's essentially pointless without the air and ground battles, it removes all of the feeling of accomplishment since you never get to reap any rewards.

How is geoscape fun without air battles? What do you do in geoscape if you don't shoot down aliens?

How is research any fun if you never get to use any of the things you researched?

Read what i wrote. Then read it again. Then read it a third time. Then edit your post to accurately reflect what i actually wrote, not what you imagine i wrote.

I'm going to stick to my opinion that without air battles and ground battles what is left is insignificant. ;) Nearly all the psychologically rewarding triggers are removed if you exclude air and ground combat. Combat is the core of the game, it's what the game is centered around. It's far more then 50% of the game as far as I can tell.

That's why I want you to be more specific with what it is you find interesting in what is left. :confused: (And why X-com and Xenonauts fulfill that better then other games.)

You seem to be very short tempered. Chill and take it easy friend. We aren't accusing you we are just trying to understand you. :):)

Edit: Well Hicks and Hoshi might be a bit accusatory :(, but you can disregard those comments and have a serious discussion with the rest of us. :)

(Trying to use more smilies to reflect that I'm not trying to be hostile ;))

Edited by Gorlom

Ok, I just have to say that this is really weird...

That's the first person ever that wanna play Xcom without the ground combat.

Auto resolve for air battles is ok when we get further into the game, but the ground combat? This is the heart of the game... I mean, if you don't like that, this is not the game for you. It's not a remake of the Xcom Appocalypse, it's a remake of Enemy Unknow. So I back the statement "do more research before purchasing a game".

If you don't like the game just ask for a refund.

I remember seeing people on TWC (the official fan site for Total War games) asking if it was possible to play certain mods by auto-resolving every battle because kingdom management is the only thing that interests them. Now TW games are definitely battle focused and the primary reason why people play them. If you want empire management you turn to Paradox games or maybe Civ. It's not that kingdom management in TW is overly simplistic but it's just not very engaging on its own. Nevertheless there you had it, a minuscule amount of people who wanted to skip the battles completely.

So, you know, there's all kinds I suppose.

Strongly disagree. Games are made to be played a certain way, and the more of these options and sliders that you add, the more time-consuming the development process is going to be, and the harder it will be to properly balance the game.

Except these game settings are already stored in text files, adding a slide is just a prettier way to edit those numbers.

Also you don't need to balance a game for anything other than normal / predefined settings.

I make video games for a living so I know how hard it is to make a slider (not very).

Point still stands, no matter how someone else plays a game, it makes zero difference to anyone else so there's no need for all this backlash, flame baiting notwithstanding.

Edited by spinaljack

For anyone who thinks i want to remove combat from the game: re-read all my posts.

I don't think you want to remove combat I think you want to skip all the combat. :P

You think that people do not understanding your posts. I think you make assumptions about how obvious what you want is. That there are a lot of people understand exactly what you feel and your point of view. :confused: And because of that you don't answer the questions. :(

I am confused because you want to avoid the core of the game. What attracts you to something that isn't designed to have the same reward mechanics as a game like civilization or rollercoaster tycoon or whatever management sim you prefere:confused:.. All the reward triggers:D I can find/think of are placed inside the combat mechanics.

I make video games for a living so I know how hard it is to make a slider (not very).

First question I have then is: have you designed any? :)

Looking at the FTL game (beta) the devs are denying players to play the game exactly how they like and the game is (not that surprisingly since it's a roguelike:)) more fun because of it. Because its following their vision of it. :cool:

I object to the idea that devs should bend over backwards to meet very demand:(. Imo a slider changes the game more then you think. Not all players are trying out different things all the time:p. A slider has a psychological effect and the player might change settings because they have misunderstood a mechanic or made a mistake they didn't realize they made:(. And end up with a game they don't enjoy quite as much because they aren't playing it as intended. I know quite a few that has confessed to abusing speedup tools in different games. I sometimes do it as well. more often then not it doesn't feel as fun though.

Options can be added as long as it does not go against the vision of the designer.

Edited by Gorlom

You seem to be very short tempered. Chill and take it easy friend. We aren't accusing you we are just trying to understand you. :):)

Edit: Well Hicks and Hoshi might be a bit accusatory :(, but you can disregard those comments and have a serious discussion with the rest of us. :)

Why does everyone always get my name wrong :(

@Gorlom It's only modern console games that have zero settings to play with, most PC focused games will have loads of settings to tweak and mods to play with. You can be sure FTL will have mods as well when it's released. Besides, there's already an easy mode, tweaking funding is not the same as pressing M to get a million $ whenever you want.

And yes, designing games is part of my job.

That's the first person ever that wanna play Xcom without the ground combat.

substituting in "skipping" for "without" as per OP:-

You have reached the end of game number X of something like UFO:Extra terrestrials, or EU. You have all the shiny toys. You have all the psi amps and blaster bombs, and you have pretty much completed all the research you need, except the final one to get you into the end game or to plod along the huge final ship building phase. You are now faced with a ton of battleship sized, long missions that can simply get in the way of you reaching a faster conclusion to the game.

I've felt like skipping past a few of those missions in the past.

While any number of other games have their own research management and empire building strategies, they aren't using the X-Com toys. There's something about the gripping, tense storyline & research that you want to see more of. So, I can see some folks wanting to explore that side of things, more than the ground/air combat.

Thinking about it, if you took away the premise of X-Com, and it was just a squad game as the devs originally had, I doubt I'd still be playing it after all these years.

Sometimes, you just want to get to a particular stage in the game. You've played it umpteen times and you just want to get to a particular point. An option for skipping through might be useful there. "Begin at date X with tech level 3" options would add even more there.

EXACTLY! I can't be the only one who wants an option to auto-resolve battles. Imagine if you've just got done playing a huge battle that took over an hour to finish, and then you go back to the geoscape, and then another huge battle occurs 5 minutes later, wouldn't anyone else want the option to skip it? Or is it just me?

spinaljack: A separate difficulty and a slider are for me different things, and mods are not even relevant to the discussion imo. Mods aren't the devs responsibility. If a slider is supposed to be implemented it should most likely have been thought of from the start to not be hazardous to the game experience.

This isn't really relevant to the option of skipping things though. skipping and tweaking are another 2 things that's completely different to me.

Serben: so you only want to skip some battles? Sorry, from your earlier posts you seemed to want to (be able to) skip everything. If that's how it really is I can understand you. I don't agree with your playstyle, but I can understand you :)

Hosi: Sorry about that typo. :) many people get my name wrong to. For some reason they seem to be wanting to call me Gorlum. Not really sure where that "u" comes from.

Edited by Gorlom

EXACTLY! I can't be the only one who wants an option to auto-resolve battles. Imagine if you've just got done playing a huge battle that took over an hour to finish, and then you go back to the geoscape, and then another huge battle occurs 5 minutes later, wouldn't anyone else want the option to skip it? Or is it just me?

Well, you don't need to battle right away, you can do all the management you want if you keep the time passing really slow, the crash site or terror mission will be there waiting for you.

+1 for autoresolve.

While leaving the crash site means no penalty, the lost loot and +/- penalty from the autoresolved mission is lost, if i can't autoresolve it, and if I think the crash site is too small for me spending half an hour, with my crack-ass hyper commando squad, who can eat the three aliens in their sleep :)

Ignoring a crash site means ignoring all the loot as well. Auto resolving would get you the loot if you won.
It is still within his list of options :D I thought his hypothetical situation was that he didn't really nee the crashsite, that it was all "meh" whether he played it or not. I mean the auto resolve seems like it should only be used when there's a very low chance of losing any soldiers. At that point when you completly overpower the aliens at a crash site... do you really need loot from it?

OFC I'm making a lot of assumptions here.

+1 for autoresolve.

While leaving the crash site means no penalty, the lost loot and +/- penalty from the autoresolved mission is lost, if i can't autoresolve it, and if I think the crash site is too small for me spending half an hour, with my crack-ass hyper commando squad, who can eat the three aliens in their sleep :)

That small UFO type will have stopped showing up by then. From your post you seem to be wanting proper balancing of the ticker system rather than an auto resolve function. Imo this vote doesn't really hold any meaning until the game reaches a beta stage. When opinions about the balancing are well founded, instead of assumptions based on what meager information we have gotten our greedy little paws on.

Granted one might have to try it out at some point in the beta to say anything about it. If that is the case you would have to suggest it before beta... what a dilemma :p1

Edited by Gorlom