Random CTD on Geoscape screen at Day 245, Time 01:04:00

@Chris

I'm getting a crash to desktop on day 245 at time 01:04:00 for no apparent reason I can find. All is going well until that point.

No manufacturing or research ends that day. Nothing jumps out at me as triggering the CTD.

I've tried the same on all 3 time speeds and it CTD's at the exact time on the same day.

Regards,

Compo.

P.S. That Stunned Live Eternal I always stun on a cruiser or observer UFO with the Wraiths never appears afterwards with the recovered items. You said I had to be further along in the game's storyline to do this? I haven't had any visiting battleships as of yet so it might be connected to the Battleship research?

user_day_244_manual_save_before_ctd_at_d_245_t_0104-6.json

23 hours ago, CompoTheSmoggie said:

@Chris

I'm getting a crash to desktop on day 245 at time 01:04:00 for no apparent reason I can find. All is going well until that point.

No manufacturing or research ends that day. Nothing jumps out at me as triggering the CTD.

I've tried the same on all 3 time speeds and it CTD's at the exact time on the same day.

Regards,

Compo.

P.S. That Stunned Live Eternal I always stun on a cruiser or observer UFO with the Wraiths never appears afterwards with the recovered items. You said I had to be further along in the game's storyline to do this? I haven't had any visiting battleships as of yet so it might be connected to the Battleship research?

user_day_244_manual_save_before_ctd_at_d_245_t_0104-6.json 9.33 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks. Yeah, this usually indicates that there's a corrupted UFO mission trying to spawn onto the Geoscape and it looks like that's what's happening. We'll try and figure out what's gone wrong and patch it in the hotfix.

Regarding the Eternal Interrogation mission: actually, it looks like I was wrong about that. There's no requirements on the research project besides successfully capturing a live Eternal. The problem was some mis-set data on one of the Eternal data files, which I've now corrected and will be in the hotfix.

EDIT - although just to clarify, the floating purple brain enemies are called Mentarchs. The Eternals are the equivalents of the X1 Praetors so they only appear on Battleships or large alien bases. Maybe on Harvesters too.

22 hours ago, CompoTheSmoggie said:

@Chris

Regards,

Compo.

user_day_244_manual_save_before_ctd_at_d_245_t_0104-6.json 9.33 MB · 1 download

We've looked into this a little more and this is actually a very strange bug.

Basically at the start of day 244 there was a wave of UFOs that contained a Cruiser on a Terror mission, which you shot down shortly after it spawned. It spawned a crash site that somehow has no icon, so is invisible on the Geoscape. This crash site times out after 24 hours and the game crashes due to the lack of an icon.

Question - did you do anything unusual to that Cruiser, or the crash site it created? Did the crash site appear on the map at any point (maybe you fought the ground battle?) Can you think of anything unusual that might have caused it?

If not, do you have any earlier saves we can look at?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

We've looked into this a little more and this is actually a very strange bug.

Basically at the start of day 244 there was a wave of UFOs that contained a Cruiser on a Terror mission, which you shot down shortly after it spawned. It spawned a crash site that somehow has no icon, so is invisible on the Geoscape. This crash site times out after 24 hours and the game crashes due to the lack of an icon.

Question - did you do anything unusual to that Cruiser, or the crash site it created? Did the crash site appear on the map at any point (maybe you fought the ground battle?) Can you think of anything unusual that might have caused it?

If not, do you have any earlier saves we can look at?

@Chris

I'm finding when I have a shedload of save game files on my laptop (it's a bog basic laptop) it appears to be beneficial to clean up the past save game files from UFO encounters and that. I make Manual saves and bin the rest off until I know I'm not going to need them from then on.

As for any prior cruiser mission, honestly, I can't remember sorry. I know I avoided a terror mission because the panic levels were so low. It had peaked to 50 and then slowly dropped back.

As for the Eternal, yeah, it was from an alien base mission in Spain.

Regards,

Compo.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've run into this bug myself playing V 23.7. Although for me it happens on day 255 2:26 AM and I believe I know what caused it based on the description above.

I shot down a cruiser after choosing to "tail until over land", when I shot it down, if I remember correctly around cuba, it didn't spawn a crash site. I thought it was weird, but thought it must've somehow landed in the ocean. I'm not sure about this though because I cannot find the "After Interception" auto save.

I saw something in the development console about "Unable to find an anomaly definition for the following parameters: [MissionType: Construction (A lot of different biomes) Severity: Major]"

I can upload a save here if it would help in any way.

Edited by DaReaperZ
Small mistake corrected.
  • Like 1