GAS Grenades

The Stun-Research has changed in 2 (thats Fact) and with big luck in 3 Parts.

The first and fast Part for Stun-Weapons are the existing ones with Xenonauts-Modifications (Stun-Gun and Stun Batton).

The second and longer Part comes later in the Game between the Start- and Medium-Era. It´s an medium Stun-Weapon-Upgrade, where the Gas for the Grendade-Launcher and Handgrenades are ready for R & D. If I remember correctly the Stun-Gun get an Upgrade too.

The third an last Part with the best Refit of Stun-Weapons should come in the Medium- to End-Era to give it later on an Chance too for the higher / highetst Enemys to catch & interrogate and to get better Technologys from the Interrogations. Third one is more Hope & Spec, because the high Medium- and complete End-Era we haven´t seen yet.

Gas grenades have actually been removed from the game for now - the engineering project that unlocks them is disabled. It's easy enough to add them back in if I want, but I just felt like they made capturing enemies a bit easy. Stun guns / stun batons seemed a much more interesting way for the player to have to capture aliens.

How does everyone feel about gas grenades? If you like them, what is it that you like about them?

49 minutes ago, Chris said:

Gas grenades have actually been removed from the game for now - the engineering project that unlocks them is disabled. It's easy enough to add them back in if I want, but I just felt like they made capturing enemies a bit easy. Stun guns / stun batons seemed a much more interesting way for the player to have to capture aliens.

How does everyone feel about gas grenades? If you like them, what is it that you like about them?

In Xen 1, I always liked how it was a safer, but more unreliable alternative to stun batons and electroshock grenades. Stun batons ad electroshock grenades were always more effective and efficient at capturing aliens, but gas grenades allowed for a safe alternative for the player if they did not want to get up close with the aliens. 

If the stun grenades were to be added back in, then you should really emphasize the unreliable aspect the them. Perhaps have the damage they deal be extremely sporadic, ranging from minor chip damage to more meaningful damage. Some enemies can also be completely immune to its effects. Gas mask wearing cleaners, for example, could be immune to the gas's effects; this might make capture cleaner vip missions a little more interesting as you have to put yourself at risk to capture the vip if they wear a gas mask. Melee aliens like reapers and sebillian brutes could also either resist or be immune to the gas, so it forces the play to get up close and personal with them if they want to capture them. 

These are just a few ideas, but I always liked the idea of gas grenades. 

Hmm...  that will be making the Catching from higher Aliens much more complex, if you only have the Stun Batton / Stun Gun. There the Grenades were a big help later on, esp. if you had to catch an Reaper and similars allive.

The Stun Gun / Stun Batton itself isn´t an Problem. It´s effective against normal Aliens and MIB-Enemys with no Armor (like the male / female Cesan Soldiers, the Cesan Technican, Cesan Commander and the MIB-Enemys). Later on the Stun Gun get nessecarry Modernisations / Upgrades to get more effective.

The Stun Batton don´t have Upgrade-Abilitys yet to get it more effective, esp. to make it lighter and more powerfull.

Now to the Grenades. I like them, because you have to use them very Tactical / Strategical. And they are not very accurate. That´s an Point which make them very interessting, means it belongs on the Soldier how effective they are. But they are more Tile-Effective with the Gas they send out.

Grenades are very easy to Research about the Effect from the Smoke Grenade / Smoke Ammo you have from beginning on. The effect you can make better with nessecarry Modernisatzions / Upgrades later on with new Insights. 

When there is an Alternative or an Limitation to Equip your Soldiers for the Grenades, I´m not reluctnat to test the brought in Options.

To cancel such Grenades is an Failure which Chaos Concept have noticed after UFO 2 ET Basegame come on the Market. In UFO 1 ET Standard / Goldyou had Stun Grenades, which get more effective later on with 2 or more nessecarry Upgrades.

With that I mean only that or that is not constructive, esp. when the Features will come in that you need several Enemys to get better Resaraches and Upgrades for Everything (Soldiers, Technicans, Leaders and so on).

Edited by Alienkiller

If the gas grenades could be brought in with the advanced stun phase, or that and another research project, then we could have them, but it would take longer to acquire them, and then they could be available for then Grenade launcher.