V[22.6] – Air combat – Aircrafts disappear after combat (bug or intended mechanism)

I engaged an aircraft on the North American Northwestern area (Alaska ish) (after launching from the eastern seaboard). After engagement began, I received a notice that the squadron was low on fuel and would likely not be able to return to base if the squadron didn’t disengage. Having a newly functional base in the islands of Alaska (about 25% from the range of the radar), I decided to complete the engagement and then redirect the squadron to the new base. After downing the scout (without getting destroyed), I received a report that the squadron had no health and no fuel. I have a habit of playing ironman so I can’t easily reproduce the mechanism or bug.

Please advise if it is a design feature or a bug.

P.S. Vanilla build

Spatha

It´s not a Bug. It´s an intended Mechanism, which is in real too. If you have no fuel anymore or you are on reserves, you can´t make an Airfight and fly back. Either you choose to make the Attack and loose all of your Fighters with eccecting Pilots if you have luck or you cancel the Attack and try to fly home.

11 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

It´s not a Bug. It´s an intended Mechanism, which is in real too. If you have no fuel anymore or you are on reserves, you can´t make an Airfight and fly back. Either you choose to make the Attack and loose all of your Fighters with eccecting Pilots if you have luck or you cancel the Attack and try to fly home.

Except I wasn't on reserve. I hit 50% when I was in the combat (about 53-57% before the fight I don't remember). And I had a closer base I could have landed in. It's not "real" at all. I simply didn't get the opportunity to land else where because the game destroyed my squadron before I could take any action to rectify the problem. It also doesn't seem "real" that a military organization would attempt to send an airborn resupply to fuel up the squadron. I know it's not part of the game (at least at this time). If anyone on here ever played the old NES Top Gun and got far enough to play the air-to-air resupply minigame, they agree with me.

The best Explenation of the Airfight-Feature and the Fuel-%ige of the Geoscape I can give is that:

You mean the Geoscape-Fuel in %. The 53 to 57 % is the complete Fuel you have left. That´s includes the Geoscape-Fuel and the Fuel for the Airfight-Screen. Normaly you choose the Fighters to make the shortest Run to the UFO to have enough fuel for the Geoscape (to the Fight-Zone and Back to Base) as well as in the Airfight-Screen left.

You see the Fuel you have for your fighters in the Airfight-Screen where you make the Speed, Weaponoptions etc. That´s the Standard-Fuel you have left from the flight to the Fight-Zone (Geoscape). If it´s low already at the Beginning of the Airfight, then it´s better not to fight. That´s much better then the Alternative which brings you out of Business for a long time. There are enough examples in the History, where to long Ways to the Fight-Zone and the Way Back made it impossible to fight with the enemy Planes. The same Effect you have here too.

Short Said: That Warning you get in the Airfight-Screen is not for fun (it´s the last Chance to cancel the Battle and fly Home). It means you won´t have enough fuel for flying Back to Base on the Geoscape after the Battle if you wanna still fight. If that Info shows up and it will show up at the badest Point of Battle (I had that often enough), brake off the Attack as it plopps up and fly home.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 10:32 PM, Spatha_Illuminus said:

And I had a closer base I could have landed in. It's not "real" at all. I simply didn't get the opportunity to land else where because the game destroyed my squadron before I could take any action to rectify the problem. It also doesn't seem "real" that a military organization would attempt to send an airborn resupply to fuel up the squadron. I know it's not part of the game (at least at this time).

At the moment, it is not possible to choose which base the fighter should land on. Each fighter is assigned to a specific base. It always returns to where it flew from. You can move them between bases through a separate menu, only if they are not on a mission.

It would be cool if the player could choose which base for the fighters to land. And instead of a separate menu for moving aircraft between bases, the player would simply send a fighter from one base to another. In this way, it would be possible to send fighters on patrol air and land them where it is convenient for the player. Unfortunately, there is no such functionality, and I do not think it will ever be :(