[v22.6] Loading, Performance, Story introduction

npc85354

Hello there!
Since my last game was back in 2020 I was curious about the ingame progress. So I've installed it yesterday and gave it a go. And man, you guys and gals worked hard. A lot has improved and as far as I've catched up from the monthly dev updates, there is still things beeing changed.

I would like to give some feedback. The game seems to be a bit resource demanding and loading times from my HDD for both Missions & Geomap are surprisingly long. While loading one of the first missions, windows asked if I'd like to close the unresponsive game window. I'm sure these kind of performance improvements will be focused on later.

Fighting the first few encounters was fun and the atmosphere is already pretty intense.

The intro sequence looks good as well. The writing felt a bit generic. Somehow I expected a bit more mistery. Well, but don't listen to me, I couldn't do it better anyway.

Thank you for your contribution and regular updates! :)

Edited by npc85354
  • Like 2

There is something off about the story telling. Reading the screener interrigation (or biopsi; can't remember which one) I've noticed the wording beeing something like: ~'to our surprise it was just a human'. To me this feels off. I imagined the narrative first us beeing unaware of aliens, but the story telling initiates with us beeing surprised the humanuid enemy just beeing a human.

I hope you catch my drift. I'm not saying it's bad and possibly I've just missed some information early on but if I haven't, the story should start with us not expecting anything else than just humans behind every enemy attack (cleaners). Of course, I as a player who bought a game about aliens do expect to figth them but the introduction shouldn't expact that.

This is not a rant. I just want to piont that out. Looking forward to the first reply telling me that this is already planned and I've simply missed that info or skipped it.

Gameplay is intense and I like it : )

Update regarding performance. I've switched visuals from best two steps down, and have transferred the local files to my ssd. Loading times got better but seem still too long. I've a Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon 570 and they still are notable in noise. Maby there is a debugger/logger running in background which cuts away additional resources I imagin.

Have a nice day,
Michael

Edited by npc85354

On 12/3/2021 at 11:23 PM, npc85354 said:

*snip*

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you think there's been a lot of improvements! Yeah, we do plan to work on performance before release. Out of interest were you playing on the Experimental branches or not? The Experimental builds have much longer load times than standard builds.

We are planning to have a tutorial mission where the player and the Xenonauts encounters aliens for the first time, so it won't be a surprise that the bad guys are aliens once you get into the game :)