Item Duplication Bug / Exploit Still There

This is something I noticed over a year ago that is sadly still in the game.

I like to be able to update my soldier loadouts and give them new names as we get better gear, making it much more simple to replace, say, one injured Warden Armored Laser Sniper with another.

In the old Xenonauts game, this was no problem.  The game would happily let you assign such things and save them, and then you could assign each new soldier you wanted that new status, or any other you wished, and the only thing that would hold you back was if your inventory no longer had, say, an extra suit of Warden Armor left, or was now short one laser rifle ....

This game has a pesky bug / exploit situation in that it never recognizes that you have any such limit on new armor or weapons.  You could have 1 Warden Armor and 1 Laser Sniper Rifle, assign that equipped soldier the new moniker, update that loadout status, and then rubber stamp the other 9 soldiers in your attack squad with the same gear, unfortunately.  It'll even let you take that gear off the other people and it will count it all in the storeroom supplies, too ...

Please work on fixing that one - having to drag gear you really DO have over to each new soldier every time you come back from one mission with shot up troops gets a touch annoying after awhile. ;)

• Thanks 1

This is definitely not as intended - and we recently stumbled onto a bug with how items got assigned through the loadouts that touched on the MARS.
That seemed to be related to soldiers coming back from missions being the cause somehow.

It seems you've got a good understanding of when it happens - do you maybe have a set of steps to replicate it?
If I simply boot up the game and add in limited items, the loadouts work as intended in that trying to apply a loadout that you don't have the items for will lead to soldiers without items.

5 hours ago, Gijs-Jan said:

This is definitely not as intended - and we recently stumbled onto a bug with how items got assigned through the loadouts that touched on the MARS.
That seemed to be related to soldiers coming back from missions being the cause somehow.

It seems you've got a good understanding of when it happens - do you maybe have a set of steps to replicate it?
If I simply boot up the game and add in limited items, the loadouts work as intended in that trying to apply a loadout that you don't have the items for will lead to soldiers without items.

Yep, just tried it again and it's still duplicating.

Step 1  Go to your Armory Screen

Step 2  Go to your Skyhawk Assigned Soldiers

Step 3  Select Soldier you want to give a new role to and click that Soldier Role button

Step 4  On the Select Loadout List, Select Create New Loadout, name it whatever you wish

Step 5  Put the limited new gear you have on that soldier and then click Update Role Equipment so it will be assigned to that new loadout

Step 6  Go to some other undeserving shlub on the same list of Skyhawk Assigned Soldiers and then change his role to the new loadout

You should see that even though you didn't have anymore of that gear available, it clads him in the exact same gear as your other character.  I took a Grenadier and changed him just now into a Warden Laser Sniper.  I had 9 out of 10 spots filled on the Skyhawk at this point, and everyone else had Warden Armor except the Grenadier in his Tactical Birthday suit.  Now he has a brand new set of Warden Armor and a new Laser Sniper rifle, w/o depleting the stock of 2 laser sniper rifles I still had.  If I then reassign him back to Grenadier status,  the Laser Sniper rifle count goes from 2 to 3 in storage and I have a new set of Warden Armor.

Also checked and none of my other 8 soldiers lost their Warden Armor to give him a suit, so it's definitely duplicating

Edited by Wyldefyre_CP

On 11/12/2021 at 3:45 PM, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Yep, just tried it again and it's still duplicating.

Step 1  Go to your Armory Screen

Step 2  Go to your Skyhawk Assigned Soldiers

Step 3  Select Soldier you want to give a new role to and click that Soldier Role button

Step 4  On the Select Loadout List, Select Create New Loadout, name it whatever you wish

Step 5  Put the limited new gear you have on that soldier and then click Update Role Equipment so it will be assigned to that new loadout

Step 6  Go to some other undeserving shlub on the same list of Skyhawk Assigned Soldiers and then change his role to the new loadout

You should see that even though you didn't have anymore of that gear available, it clads him in the exact same gear as your other character.  I took a Grenadier and changed him just now into a Warden Laser Sniper.  I had 9 out of 10 spots filled on the Skyhawk at this point, and everyone else had Warden Armor except the Grenadier in his Tactical Birthday suit.  Now he has a brand new set of Warden Armor and a new Laser Sniper rifle, w/o depleting the stock of 2 laser sniper rifles I still had.  If I then reassign him back to Grenadier status,  the Laser Sniper rifle count goes from 2 to 3 in storage and I have a new set of Warden Armor.

Also checked and none of my other 8 soldiers lost their Warden Armor to give him a suit, so it's definitely duplicating

Hmmm. I've tested this both in the developer version and in V22.4 on Steam and I can't get this to happen at all. Can you provide a save and tell me specifically which soldiers to select and what items / loadouts to use?

Whenever I've tested it, the game is correctly tracking limited quantity items and just not giving soldiers them if there aren't enough to go around. Maybe there's something that happens midway through the game that makes this possible.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Hmmm. I've tested this both in the developer version and in V22.4 on Steam and I can't get this to happen at all. Can you provide a save and tell me specifically which soldiers to select and what items / loadouts to use?

Whenever I've tested it, the game is correctly tracking limited quantity items and just not giving soldiers them if there aren't enough to go around. Maybe there's something that happens midway through the game that makes this possible.

Well, I'll attach my last save file that had the issue, though I can't play it now since the update that just came down (bummer).  

I started a new game and just for grins cranked out a suit of defender armor on Day 8 and tried the same thing, but despite giving it to assault units and sniper units and then attempting to replicate it steadfastly did what it should have done and ignored duplicating my one suit of defender armor.  So I will research a few more things like Warden Armor and the Laser Weapons and see when / if it duplicates on the newest version of the game you just sent down.

Meantime .... I'm playing on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an AMD Fx 9370 Eight Core Processor and 16,384 MB RAM using Direct X 11 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, if any of that helps

user_new_chris_1-55.json

6 hours ago, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Well, I'll attach my last save file that had the issue, though I can't play it now since the update that just came down (bummer).  

I started a new game and just for grins cranked out a suit of defender armor on Day 8 and tried the same thing, but despite giving it to assault units and sniper units and then attempting to replicate it steadfastly did what it should have done and ignored duplicating my one suit of defender armor.  So I will research a few more things like Warden Armor and the Laser Weapons and see when / if it duplicates on the newest version of the game you just sent down.

Meantime .... I'm playing on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an AMD Fx 9370 Eight Core Processor and 16,384 MB RAM using Direct X 11 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, if any of that helps

user_new_chris_1-55.json

You can switch onto the legacy branch to play the previous version if it helps! Means you won’t have to play all the way through to reproduce.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:38 AM, Wyldefyre_CP said:

Nah, but thanks - I had a thing or two I wanted to do differently with the initial base construction, anyway, so I will just go with this new game.  Please let me know if that save helps you figure out what I'm talking about, though!

Did a bit more testing using that save you provided and couldn't reproduce it at all, unfortunately. Let me know if you are able to reproduce it on your new playthrough as we'd be happy to fix it if you can find a reproducible case for it!