Melee Weapon Progression

One of my favorite things to do in Xenonauts 1 was to go to an alien and take them out with a stun baton. It just felt exhilarating to get up close and personal with the aliens and knock them out. It saddened me a little bit when I realized that the stun baton was the only melee weapon that you can take advantage of in Xen 1. 

I see that the weapon progression in general is getting a bit upgrade with the addition of both a ballistic weapon tree and a thermal weapon tree, which allows for interesting side grades that I like a lot, and the ability to update existing tech to keep them relevant. These ideas have got me thinking, are melee weapons planned to get a similar treatment to give more options to the player? 

I am wondering if there will be a progression of melee weapons over the course of the game. I have seen both knives and stun batons present in the same beta build before, so I am also wondering if there will be two different tech trees for each kind of melee weapon. It might be cool also to have the ability to put a melee weapon on a MARS too as a secondary weapon. 

So yeah, I hope that the melee weapons will receive some kind of progression similar to that of your other weapons.  

The Meele Weapon I use to catch living Enemys for Interrogation (after the Basic R & D this will be very important) and against Mechanical Enemys (Robots / Drones etc.) for an faster deactivation.

You get the following in the Beginning:

1. Stun Baton (the best thing against Mechanical and for surprisse Close Attacks from Shield-Soldier and Shotgun-Soldier to stun living Aliens and other living Enemys / deactivation from Mechanical Enemys)

2. Stun Gun (the long Range Variant from the Stun Baton which is very good against Mechanical Enemys; good for Infantry-Soldiers with some Stun Grenades too to catch living Aliens and other living Enemys)

3. Stun Grenades (for LMG-Soldiers, Sniper-Rifle-Soldiers and Rifle-Man-Soldiers to give Assistance to catch Living Aliens and other living Enemys )

4. Stun Ammo (for Grenadier-Soldiers; same like Stun Grenades)

You have to know when to use one of them correctly. That´s all and then your Soldiers work effectivly. In all of my Games so far with Beta 22.0 to Beta 22.4 I have catched about 20 Psyons, 12 to 15 Sebillians, about 5 to 6 Mentrachs, more then 50 Cleaners alive for Interrogation and deactivated about 20 Mechanical Enemys (big Robots and Drones) with Stun-Guns and Stun-Batons.

Short said: The beginning Stun Weapons are effective for the beginning and with more R & D they get much better against the Enemys and sadly for uninvolved Civilian / Xenonaut helping NPC-Soldiers. All Games of that and similar Gernes (like Diablo-Series, Starcraft-Series, UFO-ET-Series, old UFO-Aftermath-Series, old and new X-COM-Series) start with outgunned Soldiers or Humankind.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:09 AM, Alienkiller said:

The Meele Weapon I use to catch living Enemys for Interrogation (after the Basic R & D this will be very important) and against Mechanical Enemys (Robots / Drones etc.) for an faster deactivation.

You get the following in the Beginning:

1. Stun Baton (the best thing against Mechanical and for surprisse Close Attacks from Shield-Soldier and Shotgun-Soldier to stun living Aliens and other living Enemys / deactivation from Mechanical Enemys)

2. Stun Gun (the long Range Variant from the Stun Baton which is very good against Mechanical Enemys; good for Infantry-Soldiers with some Stun Grenades too to catch living Aliens and other living Enemys)

3. Stun Grenades (for LMG-Soldiers, Sniper-Rifle-Soldiers and Rifle-Man-Soldiers to give Assistance to catch Living Aliens and other living Enemys )

4. Stun Ammo (for Grenadier-Soldiers; same like Stun Grenades)

You have to know when to use one of them correctly. That´s all and then your Soldiers work effectivly. In all of my Games so far with Beta 22.0 to Beta 22.4 I have catched about 20 Psyons, 12 to 15 Sebillians, about 5 to 6 Mentrachs, more then 50 Cleaners alive for Interrogation and deactivated about 20 Mechanical Enemys (big Robots and Drones) with Stun-Guns and Stun-Batons.

Short said: The beginning Stun Weapons are effective for the beginning and with more R & D they get much better against the Enemys and sadly for uninvolved Civilian / Xenonaut helping NPC-Soldiers. All Games of that and similar Gernes (like Diablo-Series, Starcraft-Series, UFO-ET-Series, old UFO-Aftermath-Series, old and new X-COM-Series) start with outgunned Soldiers or Humankind.

You said that you receive these weapons in the beginning, right? Does that mean that you can perhaps upgrade your existing stun weapons into   stronger ones? If so, tat’s pretty cool. Messing around with all of the stun weapons was my favorite things to do in Xen 1; it’s nice that I can mess around with more of them in the sequel. I did see a knife in the earlier beta builds. Are those still around or are the knives removed form the game? 

• Like 1

In the Beginning means the first ones which you can Research very fast from the Civilian Versions to catch Enemys for Interregation. That was a little bit unintellegible expressed. This weapons can be Upgraded with better Technologys later on. Like the Conventional Weapons to Accellerated f. e.

What the Knife belongs, the Knife is a very good Close Combat Weapon. It´s upgradeable too later on in Xenonauts 2.