My Personal Opinion with current 22.3 V Experience

My personal opinion, everything that appears on the map should be caused by UFO's , Change every region on the geoscope from max 100 to 200, soo Devs can implement more options (number doesnt have to be always on 100 max, because it's a game but when that number 200 gonna be bother people, Devs can always change to %(100% ofcourse) instead of seeing 200. So devs can also implement mechanics where completing UFO crashsite reduce panic lvl, like in xenonauts 1, Also increase number of regions soo geoscope won't be look like a nerfed version of Xenonauts-1 Geoscope. I always say this if people have more options = it's better for the game and people who enjoy playing Xenonauts. Content = nr 1.

Literly devs the can set regions on starting 100 points = averege, and players throught campaing can work hard on reducing panic lvl, that rewards them with more income from Monthly Meetings, not the mention with that @Chris can implement more game mechanics/options way easier, because i feel like Developers limited themselfes with that magic 100 number as max. It's a game, nothing is real.

Another thing about what happend between past / future aircrafts war, because i have 2000 hours in Xenonauts-1, not the mention 75% of my gameplay i spend playing on highest difficulty if i be honest i feel like aircraft battles are kinda not balanced well.

Nr.1. I like idea of new 2x2 hangars that can have max 3 aircrafts, because it gives an player an option to have more space on placing more structures.

Nr.2. My personal opinion removing 1x2 Hangar was a bad idea, because it limits options for players, for example i want to have 2 skyhawks instead of 1, so i can simply build 2 1x2 hangars to fill them, instead i need to build another 2x2 hangar to have another skyhawk.

Nr.3. All Hangars / Aircrafts should to have a system where i can simply assing them. For example i have 5 1x2 Hangar. I build 2x2 Hangar soo simply assing those 3 aircrafts from 1x2 to 2x2 and then demolish 1x2, co i can simply make more space for 2x2

Nr.4. When building aircraft from enginner menu - add an option on what hangar i can assing aircraft under construction

Nr.5. Make 2x2 Hangars researchable and upgradable where from enginners -> Base Upgrade -> when research it shows as option to build 2x2 Hangars(make more expensive ofcourse)

Nr.6. Bring old HP/Armor aircrafts, also if i recall correctly, because I don't remember well, it was called Aircraft Generators, and combine it with current aircraft slots/system, more options, more fun , more enjoyable, where players can edit stuf, instead of feeling with being limited with not many options.

Nr.7. Nerf some of Big alien UFO's where i can simply flank them with aircrafts soo i can use my amazing microing skills to Flank + shutdown, instead alien aircrafts have 360 degree cannons like what?

Another option what devs should change is add 2 extra options to soldiers Armor/even aliens armor = For example % chance to penetrate armor, and % to damage reduction. Because when I play Xenonauts-2 on highest difficulty and see Alien sniper Plasma hit soldiers for 250 Damage, i can't even imagine being hit by fusion riffle. I'm asking myself how my best maxed soldier with for example 100 stats on everything with best possible armor can survive a single shot from alien plasma sniper riffle. Even Giving that charcter extra shield wont stop him from instantly dying. I liked Xenonauts-1 armor system where it was reducing incoming damage, but in Xenonauts-2 we have armor system that it's gonna give soldier extra HP for soldier, 0 bonuses for damage reduction, like 1-2 shots = soldier dead + depends on game difficulty. My gameplay look like this - if my soldier gonna get hit, i simply leave him behind in the corner of the map, because it know if he gonna get hit again = dead, it becomes useless to me, and i don't wanna lose dude with best stats, and i am not gonna use save scum option, where i need to waste another 2-3 min to reload save to avoid that shot, also i noticed aliens AI like to target soldiers with low HP soo yeah.

• Like 1

I believe that when starting a new game, players should be given more initial (improved) soldiers so that the loss of one or two is less painful. In addition, the cost of maintaining soldiers should be reduced so that the player can maintain more soldiers and amphibious transports at military bases for frequent rotation.

Yeah, I think the biggest weakness of 2x2 hangars is that a dropship takes up the whole hangar. Whenever I play Xen 1, I often set up my base with two dropships, two foxtrots, and two condors (retiring the condors when I have the funds and materials to upgrade to marauders). This would be problematic to setup in Xen 2 because it would require a lot of space to have two dropships running at the same time. 

I think the best solutions to this are either to have 1x2 hangars and 2x2 hangars like CaptainSPrice suggests or to allow 2x2 hangars to hold up to two dropships. 

In the game "UFO 1-2" UFOs always landed on the ground, and therefore from the very beginning of the game there were enough 2 pieces of hangars.

2 *(2x2) = 8 tiles - places on a military base.

In the game "Xenonauts 1", a sufficient number of hangars was equal to the number 5.

3 hangars are a link of fighters.

1 helicopter hangar.

1 hangar for construction and as a reserve.

5*(1x2) = 10 tiles - places on a military base.

In the game "Xenonauts 2", the minimum number of hangars is equal to the number 3. With the previous composition of the air force.

1 hangar is a link of fighters.

1 helicopter hangar.

3*(2x2) = 12 tiles - places on a military base.

At the same time, the number of X-COM military bases decreased by 1/3. (There were 9. It became 6). Total: The total resource of the area under construction decreased by 1/3.

The "stress" parameter has been added to the game "Xenonauts 2", which causes the need for personnel rotation during combat sorties. 

Many players (in order to save time) build an additional hangar, put an additional helicopter in it - in order to: alternately send different tactical groups on combat missions, without filling the transport manually each time.

As a result: a convenient number of hangars for the player (in the game "Xenonauts 2") is at least 4.

1 hangar is a link of fighters.

2 helicopter hangar.

4*(2x2) = 16 tiles - places on a military base.

Of the 36 tiles left for construction, 20. 

Edited by Komandos

11 hours ago, CaptainSPrice said:

@Komandos i think in begin game should be punishable, later when scaling - harder and rewardable simple

In the game "Xenonauts 2" there is a bombing of downed UFOs. Therefore, by default, the player wins all ground battles. The battle is fought only for unique artifacts, for the number of artifacts and for the amount of a cash bonus after the sale of artifacts. The costs of maintaining an additional number of soldiers, their equipment and transport for them exceed the monetary profit from artifacts captured with their help at the UFO crash site. Therefore, the additional number of soldiers at the beginning of the game does not facilitate the strategy in any way.

Edited by Komandos

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 1:51 AM, Komandos said:

In the game "Xenonauts 2" there is a bombing of downed UFOs. Therefore, by default, the player wins all ground battles. The battle is fought only for unique artifacts, for the number of artifacts and for the amount of a cash bonus after the sale of artifacts. The costs of maintaining an additional number of soldiers, their equipment and transport for them exceed the monetary profit from artifacts captured with their help at the UFO crash site. Therefore, the additional number of soldiers at the beginning of the game does not facilitate the strategy in any way.

Maybe this could be solved by difficulty scaling?

On lower difficulties, we get more income, so we can also be given more soldiers, as that wouldn't be so bad. All what needs to hold true is: after all the costs applied, income for lower diff should be higher than for higher diff.

4 hours ago, kolooko said:

Maybe this could be solved by difficulty scaling?

The problem is not income. The problem is in: how to diversify the tactics of ground battles.

1. If there are a lot of aliens on the battlefield, then:

- every turn the player comes into fire contact with the enemy.

- there are almost no moves when the player spends time only (and only) moving his soldiers to new positions (without the battle itself).

2. If there are a lot of aliens on the battlefield, and the player's soldiers are few (very few) (let's say there is only one soldier), then:

- the firepower of the player's soldiers should be very large.

However:

tactics are needed here only when there are a lot of opponents in sight and you need to decide who to attack first and where it is better to hide.

3. Ideally, when: the number of aliens and the number of player soldiers = are the same.

However: Alien AI is not able to solve tactical tasks as successfully as the Player.

Total: There should be more aliens to balance the game.

4. The player's soldiers should not be too many, so as not to delay the turn-based game. The player's soldiers should not be too few, so that the tactical variety of tasks on the battlefield does not suffer, as well as the variety of ways to solve these tasks.

Total: the number of tactical decisions in the same military missions should be comparable to the number of such military missions.

5. About the minimum number of ground military missions.

After a UFO crash, the player wins all ground battles by default (bombing the UFO crash site from the air).

Bottom line 1: In fact, battles are being fought to save unique artifacts from destruction (in the case of aerial bombardment).

Bottom Line 2: Ground battles only make sense as long as there is a need to mine new (unexplored) artifacts and mine the researched artifacts as a resource for their own production. (Tactical battles in the game act as production (craft) artifacts and as the production of research directions.)

Conclusions: by regulating the number of necessary artifacts, developers can regulate (limit) the number of necessary ground battles to defeat aliens. (For example, in order not to delay the game).

6. About the minimum number of soldiers (belonging to the player) in ground-based turn-based battles.

If there are few soldiers on the battlefield, then the variety of tactical situations (the ratio of forces of rivals and their location at different points of the battlefield) is also not great. In order to minimally diversify the number of tactics in the game, soldiers must interact with each other not within the same combat group (squad), but also interact at the level of individual combat groups with other individual combat groups (at the platoon level). The minimum size of one combat group (detachment) is 3 soldiers (1 commander + 2 subordinates). Taking into account possible losses (injuries, death), this number is equal to 4 soldiers. Also, 4 soldiers are convenient for combat formation, 2 sit in front and 2 stand behind. Taking into account the real combat experience of a real platoon, there are 5-6 such combat squads in the platoon. (4 infantry squads: Left. Right. Centre. Reserve. + 1 machine gun squad, + 1 mortar squad). Total: 4*5(6)=20(24) a soldier.

For comparison: in X-COM:1-2, the number of one platoon is 26 soldiers. In X-COM:3, the platoon strength is 36 people.